Forums Latest Members
  1. bscmich Sep 28, 2011

This is quite unscientific but I am wondering what Omega's actual warranty repair frequency rate is? In other words, out of say 100 new watches sold, what percentage will require warranty work under Omega's standard owners warranty? Any acutal knowledge of this or even speculation would be appreciated.

2. ulackfocus Sep 28, 2011

100% of any brand's watches will need repair sooner or later. :D

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 28, 2011

On older ETA movements like the Cal 1120 or Cal 1164, it would have been extremely low, I'd be surprised if more than 0.01% had any problems within the warranty period. The Omega Cal 8500, which is the company's current flagship movement has proved one of the most trouble free I've ever heard of.

The best way to get a feel for reliability is to simply google search for "Omega Cal 8500 problem" or "Omega Cal 8500 stopped" but after trying just then, I couldn't find any cases of issues. It isn't that new any more, its been out for four years at least, it just seems to be extremely trouble free, which is not overly surprising given how heavily invested Omega were in the development of the 8500.

The new Omega Cal 9300 chronograph movement is based on a very similar design to that of the Cal 8500, and that to be honest is an exceptionally good thing, as not only is it a beautiful thing to behold, but it represents the culmination of the last decade of research and development into the Co-Axial escapement, the outcome of which was a supremely accurate and unique design which I fully expect to be as reliable as the Cal 8500 that preceded it.