Omega want to polish my watch, I don’t really want too much done

My Speedmaster has been losing time for a while, so I went to my local AD, Omega Boutique, for advice. I’d gone in to ask about the 3861 Speedmaster, and since posting on here I’ve decided to keep my 1861 version. Anyway, mentioned that mine was losing time, they said that whilst it’s under warranty they’ll send it off for a warranty service.

I picked up a scratch on the back of my watch, picture in one of my other threads and although annoying I was just going to leave it.

Had a call yesterday from them saying they wanted to polish my watch due to a scratch on the back. I said no and that the rest of the watch is fine I’d rather they left it or if they had to, polish just the back, but they’re insisting the full case is done.

Not sure what to do next, just go for it?

IMHO, don't get it polished, even the scratch on the back.
You are not there watching what they are doing, not worth the risk.
Keep it original.

Should note, it’s the Omega service centre who want to polish the case, not my AD - but I know what you mean.

"Hey Rudolf*, did you just drop that Speedmaster and put scratches on it?"

"Er....yah.....sorry, did I do bad?"

"Yah! Never mind, I'll let the customer know it has to be polished for free!"

* names have been changed to protect the allegedly guilty party

Get it sorted. No point keeping it tatty on a modern piece. It’s not patina it’s damage.

The service centers have fixtures and machines to do it right, it's not some guy going crazy with a buffing wheel.

Quick counterpoint - you can always polish it later; you can never unpolish it. There’s no right or wrong, but if you’re unsure you could consider living with another 6 months or a year, and then get it polished if you want. Omega will gladly do it for you then as well.

Wear in good health 👍

Don’t let them polish it - if you want it lightly polished use a trusted jeweller/watchmaker. I’d worry that any communication gets lost somewhere down the line at Omega and they’d polish it all

Don’t let them polish it - if you want it lightly polished use a trusted jeweller/watchmaker. I’d worry that any communication gets lost somewhere down the line at Omega and they’d polish it all
You’d rather a jobbing jeweller do it rather than the factory putting it back to new? Interesting choice. A poor refinish is worse than none.

Get it sorted. No point keeping it tatty on a modern piece. It’s not patina it’s damage.

Today’s damage is tomorrow’s patina...

You’d rather a jobbing jeweller do it rather than the factory putting it back to new? Interesting choice. A poor refinish is worse than none.
You can’t unpolish… some jewellers are very skilled and if you build up a relationship with them it makes more sense in my mind to do this.

I’ve seen poor refinishing from factories and independent watchmakers.

There are absolutely independent watchmakers that I would trust more than some guy at Omega who is under the gun to complete his required number of cases in a day...

I haven’t personally been in this position yet, I know it’s generally agreed NOT to polish.. but if you like a “new” look and not a worn look then I see no harm. It’s your watch, enjoy it as YOU see fit