Forums Latest Members

Omega vs JLC - X'mas watch recommendations

1. WYGDAI Oct 11, 2020

:)::rimshot::

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 12, 2020

It might not feel big but.........:whistling:

3. onnomon Oct 12, 2020

Regardless of whether you are "world travelling" or not, the Omega is a gorgeous watch and far more interesting than that particular JLC, IMHO. However the Omega will garner a little more attention. I've already had a couple of comments on it since getting one as a present from my wife about 2 months ago. When it comes down to it, both watches are machine finsihed so as individual specimens the "little old elf watcmaker" aspect is the same although the Omega has more advanced technology in its escapement. Being an automatic watch diminishes the need for a power reserve. I do love JLC, as an overall brand, because of all the things they do, and can do. I've owned a few JLCs and it does give you a good feeling that you have an under-the-radar high quality piece but this does not demote Omega's quality. Really it should come down to how it looks and feels because mechanically they are similar. The details of the world map and multitude shades of blue are really something to study time and time again. The other thing I like about the WT is that it is water resistant to 150 meters so I know I can wear this anywhere.

WYGDAI likes this.
  4. MtnMarine Oct 12, 2020

I personally like the JLC better, but’s the worldtimer is very nice as well.

5. Dedlock Oct 12, 2020

World timer is a steal, you won't be getting anything like it at that price and with all it has to offer. That dial and amount of work and effort to create the globe/continent is something extremely unique that im sure all Omega fanatics will covet. Its also beautiful.

The JLC is nice but that is it.

WYGDAI likes this.
  6. Bauhaus Oct 12, 2020

Both nice options. Would choose the JLC I guess, since the Omega seems rather big for a 6,5 inch wrist.

Have you considered the JLC True Second Universal Time? It’s a kind of a nice mix between your 2 options.

D12699C0-0D75-4E9B-9BD2-F9B5A34949C8.jpeg

WYGDAI likes this.
  7. larryganz The cable guy Oct 12, 2020

OMG, I did the same thing to gbesq in another thread (two Omega Speedy Moonphase thread), by posting the same JLC model that you posted but with Meteorite dial, saying I liked my choice more; and then I felt bad because I came across as inadvertently insulting his personal JLC watch. I know that I'll be more careful in the future. Whoops.

8. Evitzee Oct 12, 2020

Fair to a point. If someone comes asking for opinions he shouldn't be surprised if some people don't like the options presented. If he specifically says 'guys it is between these two, PERIOD' then I'd give my opinion on those two only. Other wise it is natural to suggest other pieces. It is also a reason I never ask for other's opinions on watches, it is always easy for strangers to spend other people's money and it is ultimately confusing. Only I know what I like at the price point I'm looking at. Why ask others? Perhaps that comes with experience and knowing one's own tastes. .

9. Evitzee Oct 12, 2020

I actually owned that watch for a couple of years, really nice dial, good size and interesting jumping seconds feature. But I don't see it on JLC's website anymore, maybe discontinued. It wasn't particularly cheap at $14,000.

10. Bauhaus Oct 12, 2020

You’re right. The Geophysic line is discontinued. I own the “simple” True Second version (39,6mm). You can still find some on Chrono24.

11. WYGDAI Oct 12, 2020

Thanks for the suggestion. Yup, I am aware of it, and frankly if it was in production and cheaper, would be the ideal watch! But like everyone else has said (including my wife which is rare), the WT works better.

Bauhaus likes this.
  12. WYGDAI Oct 12, 2020

Fair points :) The issue for me here is that I am not buying it for myself - It's being gifted to me, fortunately, and there is a whole deal of emotional play (by my family) here, making sure I am being gifted the right thing. I don't get special gifts that often so this is rare. Think too many cooks in the family spoiling... If it was up to me, or I was buying it for myself with my money, Omega WT in a heartbeat. I know my watches and my tastes, but when your mother wants to get you something and the wife something else, I figured to have a sort of opinion based poll here so I can remove myself from the equation :) This way I can simply tell them that the consensus amongst the good people pf the forum was this and not this. Personally, the value proposition and daily wearability of the Omega far outweigh the pros of this particular JLC.

PS I am of course open to suggestions, that's what forums should be about, open exchange of ideas. It's just here I am stuck between these two options only as it's wife vs mother. Personally, would be fine with anyone or even none. They can save their money and less hassle for me!

13. apsm100 applysome! Oct 12, 2020

The JLC for me all day. Never liked the world time, although have not seen one in the metal.

14. kip595 Oct 12, 2020

To me the JLC is more subtle, but both show excellence in finish - I imagine there is the chance the JLC, being more uniform, may age better as well, if that's a factor. Not sure, it just came to mind.

WYGDAI likes this.
  15. Fickle Oct 12, 2020

You sound like you want the Omega WT more.

And since you want opinions from strangers, go the Omega!

You have been suggested that the WT complication is generally more useful than a power reserve.

Also said strangers agree with you that it would make a daily wearer, I mean you do want to be reminded everyday of the wonderful gift you received from you wife/in-law right?

Maybe the other question to consider would be which would cost more to service, taking into consideration how much either will cost over a 10 year period.

apsm100 and WYGDAI like this.
  16. WYGDAI Oct 12, 2020

Absolutely, the WT is actually useful in my life anyway compared to the power-reserve indicator. The way I wear my watches in rotation the power reserve will be useless.

The servicing cost will, of course, be borne by me over the years and given I wouldn't want to sell this particular piece, it is an imp. consideration - I will contact both the brands and see if they have an answer on the standard service costs for both of these. I reckon that might be the best way to tell my mother and wife which I am going with.

17. Alfista88 Oct 12, 2020

Between the 2, I'd vote for the Omega world-timer. Something about seeing the painting of a globe on the watch dial, adds to the romanticism of watch ownership. A visual connection that the chronometer on your wrist, is an evolution of the marine chronometers used by ship captains & navigators as they charted pioneering ocean voyages across the world during the Age of Exploration. Especially on Columbus Day!

I saw that JLC at an AD once, and didn't like the subdials in life-size. They look great on our computers monitors in blown-up zoom... but when I had it on my wrist, looking down at it from 2 feet away, it didn't feel particularly special. The date wheel especially, felt discombobulated with its different spacing between 1-digit and 2-digit dates. If it were a wall-clock, I'd have better appreciation of the JLC dial format. But in minuscule life-size, looking at the dial from 2-3 feet away, the dial felt very emotionless.

Also, I get tremendous utility + personal enjoyment from 15,000 gauss resistant watch. The JLC I owned for 2 years, a Reverso duo-face, was always getting magnetized everytime I went through an airport. It got to the point I was taking a demagntizer in my carry-on, anytime I wanted to wear the JLC while traveling... I'm sure this watch in the Master Control range will be more robust & durable than the Reverso, but I'd nonetheless take Omega's movement for its magnetic resistance.

Oh! Plus the Omega 89xx range have silent rotors. I'm a big nag on this forum when it comes to advocating for movements with silent-operating rotors that you cannot hear, and cannot feel whirling around your wrist. I think most (if not all) JLC automatic movements use ceramic ball bearings on the rotors, so you won't get the completely silent rotors that Omega spoils us with on the 89xx range, or Rolex had done on their 31xx range. IMHO, silent rotors contribute to the user experience of a luxury watch, compared to loud swirls you can hear & the crude vibrations that you can feel from cheaper movements like a Miyota 9015. I hope over time, both Omega and JLC will introduce new technologies that can build upon the benefits that ceramic ball bearings offer, without subjecting users to the downside of having to endure their loud rotors sounds.

If purchasing from an AD rather than grey, may I suggest you ask a brown alligator strap to be thrown in? Or maybe even go for the bracelet version, and ask for a strap (be it the rubber, or a leather pairing) on the side?

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the different city font colors mean on the Omega dial. I get that London is red for GMT, but interesting how Sydney is white while its neighbors on both sides (Tokyo and Nuomea) are in darker text.

WYGDAI likes this.
  18. WYGDAI Oct 12, 2020

They are done to account for daylight savings

19. WYGDAI Oct 12, 2020

Thanks for the detailed advise mate, much appreciated. Did not know that the JLC Reverso is so sensitive to magnetisation. Overall, yes, you are spot on - the Omega WT is a much better option!

20. slwoodster Oct 12, 2020

I'd go world timer. But with bracelet. Get all the other straps.

[​IMG]

hansmaulwurf and WYGDAI like this.