Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 Apr 14, 2013

Hi folks, I came across this watch which was described as 'Suveran-type'.
    http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/161003564906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

To my newbie eye, it looks like one, and the movement pic seems right. The seller hails from Sweden, and has also been said to be reliable and an occasional seller of Suverans in a previous thread.

However, being new, could I ask the experts here if the watch is legit? It seems like such a historically interesting watch that I am tempted!

thanks!
    NT

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

A swedish market watch sold by a reliable seller. If you like the watch then go for it and good luck!

3. NT931 Apr 14, 2013

Thanks Mike! Now to see how the bidding goes.

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 14, 2013

It's a "Suveran-type" Omega. A real Suveran has "Suveran" stamped on the back

[​IMG]

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

I would actually disagree - I think this watch is a suveran. As some of you may know, the Suveran was a swedish market watch sold for profit in sweden during WW2 with the profits helping fill swedish government coffers. These were watches with case ref. 2400 and according to the omega reference AJTT (page 142) "the Omega Suveran (the name is occasionally engraved on the case back)..."

What I take from this is that most of the suveran models actually did not have the name suveran printed on the caseback like the watch in question.

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 14, 2013

Do you buy an Omega that doesn't have Omega on it ?

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

People bought a Speedmaster that didn't say Speedmaster on it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365954793.266928.jpg

That's probably a more accurate comparison.

Mothra likes this.
  8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

Lots of precedent for this though - models like centenary, globemaster (the early version of course), synchrobeat and medicus for instance don't have those words printed or located anywhere on the watch and yet we know exactly what those models are.

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 14, 2013

:D You make me think there are some Suveran-type in your collection, Mike.

===================

Well, when there are two of them, one does not have Suveran and one does. a serious collector would pick the Real Suveran.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

Well, Hoi, a serious collector would have AJTT to refer to ;)

11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 14, 2013

Yes, some people just don't know how to think without the Bible.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

What can I say Hoi, some of us have faith.

And looks like someone thought this was actually an omega without the name on the dial! And looks like the owner actually linked to some sites for more information!

[​IMG]

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

Hoi -

Hate to pile on, but I would listen to Omega here:

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14831

Omega calls Ref. 2400 a Suveran.

Also, here is a picture of several Suveran casebacks from a noted Swedish collector:

[​IMG]

Full thread:

http://omega.watchprosite.com/?show=forumpostf&fi=677&pi=5777383&ti=850568&s=0

Some have the name and some don't. That's just the way it goes with vintage Omega.

Auction ended at $415+shipping. Someone got a pretty good deal, IMO.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

I hope the OP won it - I think it's a nice watch from a very reliable seller - I like it that the watches are sold as found (only washing the case in soap and water).

And Hoi, don't want to really hijack the thread any further. And for the record, your faceless manual wind IS worth keeping in your collection - it's a piece of omega history as are the suverans whether or not they have the name inscribed on the back.

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 14, 2013

Mike, you should go have your eyes checked if you cannot see the logo and Omega on it.

===============

Auction ended at $415+shipping. Someone got a pretty good deal, IMO.

Because it lacks Surevan on back :D

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

Just remember that the only rule is that there are no rules.
    gatorcpa

17. NT931 Apr 14, 2013

Hi all,
    Well, I didn't get to bid in the end. When I found the watch on ebay and posted it, there were only 5 hours left to bid. I had intended to bid after Mike's post, but I was dithering over the bid price since I was new and didn't have a good feel of pricing. Then I had to take care of my toddler who had a fever, and between the medication and the grouchy baby, I totally forgot about the watch and fell asleep. When I woke, the auction had ended :eek: .

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to wait for another. Thanks everyone for the crash course in Suveran-ology! (if I may coin a neologism).

18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 14, 2013

Hi Hoi,

I am actually curious to hear your point of view on these which are not marked SUVAREN. Do you mean there are ref 2400s which are made and sold outside of the Swedish market for those "Suvaren type Omegas"?

19. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 15, 2013

Would you please tell me first why people try to call a watch Suveran when there is no Suveran stamped on it ?

20. ulackfocus Apr 15, 2013

Hoi, are you maybe being a bit too literal? Omega did make watches they called Seamasters that never said Seamaster on the dial, particularly in the early years of the line.