Forums Latest Members

Omega Straight Writing Speedmaster 145.022-69 ST Advice

1. jaegodylan Jul 8, 2020

Hello Folks

Just recently picked up this Speedy and it's my first. Pretty pleased with it but it has one issue I can see straight off and that is the hour register on the chrono at 6 does not reset to zero. In the photos he sent me prior the chrono hand was at 10:45 and 11 hours. I didn't think to ask him to reset it. It arrived to me at just past 3 on the hour register.

Any thing else I should identify as an issue? I bought the bracelet in a seperate buy and then the guy offered me the head that it came off. I paid £3600 for the head.

Other info movement 31.629.965 dating to August 71.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TexOmega, JimJupiter and Passover like this.
  2. Passover Jul 8, 2020

Hi and welcome here!

Not easy buying your first Speedie, I know that myself...

So a service is inevitable regarding the chrono problems. Gasket is missing also

Are you OK with the lume colour? Great difference between hands and dial.

IMO the dial lume looks too dirty but if you are fine with that - No problem

I like the case, looks quite unpolished. Correct crown, pushers look original.

Movment looks OK also.

Seems a bit too expensive, did you check here?

https://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/

So have it serviced and enjoy your first vintage Speedmaster!

All the best!

EDIT: Above the 29 on the minute subdial: Is the mark on the dial or on the crystal?

Edited Jul 9, 2020
    Davidt likes this.
  3. Dan S Jul 8, 2020

I couldn't tell from your description what the problem is. Does the hour register advance even when the chronograph is not running? If so, this is an issue known as "chrono creep". Or is it simply that the hour register resets to that 3-hour position instead of 12 o'clock? If it's the latter, and it resets to the same place every time, it can be fixed with a simple adjustment. If it resets to a different place every time, that's a different issue. In any case, if it hasn't been serviced for a long time, a full service is probably in order anyway, and any issues can be addressed at that time.

4. ndgal Jul 8, 2020

It's an OK purchase for the price.
    The case & bezel look very nice.
    The dial is more on the tired side. Seems like some of the T SWISS MADE T print is missing.

gdupree and jaegodylan like this.
  5. cosma Jul 8, 2020

My Speedmaster 1971 was made with a hippocampus on the back.

6. ndgal Jul 8, 2020

They did those too...

7. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 8, 2020

The minute hand is missing lume as well.

8. WatchTimes Jul 8, 2020

Hope you took a full service into account when deciding what to pay for this Speedy.
    Also you will either want to replace or have the hands stabilized most likely.
    I would not wait on a service seeing as you have no gasket.

MikiJ likes this.
  9. jaegodylan Jul 8, 2020

Thanks sir.

I literally have had it about 3 hours now. I ran the Chrono for a bit and it did reset back to 3. But it does seem to also have the “CREEP”. I’ll advise further in the morning after further observation.

10. jaegodylan Jul 8, 2020

thanks sir. I did see the damage to the hands and have been flagged on the no gasket issue. It’s certainly due some spa time.

at this point I still have an option to return so am thinking that may be the best way forward.

MikiJ likes this.
  11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 8, 2020

Me personally, I would go this route. As someone said above “it’s an OK purchase for the price” but with a patient hunt, you could find an even better alternative. If you aren’t absolutely thrilled with the purchase, I would return it. Buy one that leaves you no doubt that what you spent your money on was a good choice.

The service factor wouldn’t put me off as anything of this age would certainly be due for one. I’m just personally not a fan of the lume color/missing text paint on the dial.

jaegodylan and MikiJ like this.
  12. Davidt Jul 8, 2020

Personally I find the dial too unattractive for the price.

kov, jaegodylan and Dan S like this.
  13. jaegodylan Jul 9, 2020

Thanks for all the input folks.

14. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 9, 2020

This is mine, straight writing and also a creeper (well was).
    I have owned this watch for years and when it first started creeping I could reset the chrono and it would return and start creeping again. It finally got to the point like yours where the hand would not move at all.

It is now away being serviced and I should have back any day now. From here on should be the creeper in name only:)

DSC_3591.jpeg

G-Web, Thommas, jaegodylan and 3 others like this.
  15. jaegodylan Jul 9, 2020

Thats lovely. I like the insert.

I discovered that the hour register hand actually moved somewhat freely. if you tapped the side it would move a bit.

I have sent it off to Mr. Freese now for some spa time.

I was going to return the watch but the seller ended up coming down on the price quite a bit so I decided to keep it. I had grown rather attached to it in a few hours.. the perils of the Speedy.

Badwolf and Barking mad like this.
  16. new_heuer Jul 9, 2020

If this was mine I’d be thinking about a relume to the dial and hands

17. jaegodylan Jul 9, 2020

Not a bad idea.

18. ChiefMark Jul 9, 2020

Just send it back to the mother ship for service. It will come back good as new!

<runs to the corner and makes popcorn>

19. jaegodylan Jul 9, 2020

yeah with those sexy stark white hands and a red case to match.

ChiefMark likes this.
  20. bigsom Jul 9, 2020

I think the only people who would consider this a good price have an ulterior motive for saying so. They are either dealers trying to pretend like this is the normal market or collectors who don't care as much about the watches as the "value" of their collection.

At 4500 usd i think it's about 2000 too much for this configuration requiring a 500 service. If you look in the last few weeks you will see 69 with Don at this price with excellent dials.

If you love the watch, then the price isn't even important. If you are thinking about the "deal" then I think you can do much better. I don't think any of the usual suspect dealers would be able to sell that watch here for 4500. That's why they'll say the price you paid was fine, in hopes they can sell one at that price to the next person.