Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: The Snoopy MoonSwatch Moonphase is the Gateway Watch We Needed

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2024

[​IMG]

"The MoonSwatch Mission To Moonphase featuring Snoopy was just released on on the second anniversary of the MoonSwatch and I'd like to explain just why this product isn't just a success, but is something we genuinely needed." [..]

Visit The Snoopy MoonSwatch Moonphase is the Gateway Watch We Needed to read the full article.

2. neilfrancis Mar 25, 2024

This article nails it. Great piece/s (the article and the watch(es). ::rimshot::.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2024

Thanks mate, should be back to posting more regularly again too

neilfrancis likes this.
  4. Twocats Married... with children Mar 25, 2024

An excellent read and I have always said basically the same thing in my own retarded way. I have a lot of gateway drug experience.

neilfrancis and cristos71 like this.
  5. Twocats Married... with children Mar 25, 2024

We can call it Snoopy Monday and you release the article every Monday. Snoopy loves Monday and we now have four Omega Snoopy models so it's about time. There are only two Speedy Tuesday models......

6. samweldspoorly Mar 25, 2024

I am actually a huge fan of this release. I am traveling to NYC this weekend to go to Plumier's open house, I am going to swing by Swatch in times square in hopes to pick one up.

7. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Mar 25, 2024

This is absolutely spot on, @dsio ! And it's exactly that I love doing whenever being presented with the opportunity. So far, that's at least five times, which is a lot more often then I've seen any 'real' Moonwatch in the wild outside of watch events, fairs and meet-ups. Couldn't agree more that this is indeed a potential gateway drug into watches.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 25, 2024

Funny I only commented on a yellow MoonSwatch on a ladies wrist at work the other day, and on seeing my Omega Speedmaster, she mentioned that it was her dream watch.
    To see a 30 year old professional woman having an Omega moonwatch as a dream watch. Priceless for Omega.

Aludic, NorNor, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  9. 140dave Mar 25, 2024

Agreed!
    The white dials in general have really sparked interest. I had a late 20s early 30s guy notice my Speedy in an elevator this weekend and he talked about the new white dial pro. Said he had just leaned about the Mitsukoshi and Albino through that release and had "new goals" now, wanted one in white, and the classic black. (he was wearing an apple watch)

Just curious, has anyone seen a picture of the full moon on the moonphase? Hoping for a smiley face or something fun.

Aludic likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2024

That’s really been my experience too, even my older cousin who is a car collector never previously interested in watches as he saw them as jewelry that didn’t suit him as an engineer asked me out of nowhere about the MoonSwatch which led into a discussion of the real Moonwatch and how he wants one of those one day now. It really has cracked that question of how do you market watches though to Gen-Z, a generation which grew up with a smartphone and not a watch, and at 1.5 million units per year just of the MoonSwatch, they’re nailing it.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 25, 2024

Great article, but to me there is one huge glaring problem with the watch. They somehow added a moonphase complication and made it totally unuseable. Why didn't they put Snoopy on one side and a Moon on the other side of the wheel so it would have been useable?

Zman4eva and pdxleaf like this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2024

Snoopy sitting on the moon is the full moon, it’s just mirrored above and below but is effectively the same as other moon phase discs. The discs are repeated twice because the moon has a 29.5 day cycle, and since you can’t have a half tooth on a wheel, moonphase discs have 59 teeth with a mirror image on them so each full rotation represents two cycles. Exposing both above and below just makes it more visually interesting but it’s the same in terms of accuracy

IMG_2083.jpeg

HamDoctor, Pun and Dsloan like this.
  13. sheepdoll Mar 25, 2024

It 'might' be the first 'new' omega I aquire in 30 years. (* depending on availability)

14. Evitzee Mar 25, 2024

The purpose of the moonphase dial isn't meant to be useable, it's just a cute feature of the watch. No one needs to know the phase of the moon, and most users won't even adjust it to the correct phase when they get the watch. Heck, they won't even know what the numbers mean around the moon dial...."29 1/2, what's that?"

Edited Mar 25, 2024
    Pun likes this.
  15. YY77 Mar 25, 2024

Very nice read.:thumbsup:

Just one thing;

@dsio wanna bet.:p

DrmexicoII and Zman4eva like this.
  16. Dsloan Mar 25, 2024

I use mine to know when I should plan to drag out my telescope. But that's pretty niche, I suppose.

Pun likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 25, 2024

I understand this, I just think it doesn't accurately show the waning very well. With the layout, I think they could have had Snoopy sleeping one on side of the disk, and a moon on the other side of the disk, and the watch would lhave looked great, and had a useable moonphase.

cristos71, Pun and pdxleaf like this.
  18. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 25, 2024

To be fair, I don’t think anyone is buying this for its precise moon phase representation. It’s a moon phase with a hella cute twist. I like that Snoopy and Woodstock are on the moon. It’s more of a novelty item and I definitely want one!

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2024

Dsloan and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  20. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 26, 2024

I suspect it will be a while before these start falling into the hands of people that actually want them. Yesterday there were only 2 listed on eBay. I curiously checked today and there are 182 listings.

IMG_4556.jpeg

Dsloan likes this.