Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: The Second-Generation De Ville Hour Vision - A Rare Step Backward

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2023

[​IMG]

Every new Omega tends to be an upgrade over its predecessor. It can be a little surprising then when a watch doesn’t quite live up to that expectation. In the case of the Hour Vision, Omega’s flagship for the Calibre 8500, those shoes may have been too big to fill. [..]

Visit The Second-Generation De Ville Hour Vision - A Rare Step Backward to read the full article.

padders, Lou P, rendo and 1 other person like this.
  2. cristos71 Apr 11, 2023

A very interesting read and I agree wholeheartedly with you. When I see these in the window of an AD I really get a 'Meh' feeling. The new version really has lost its heart, charm and USP.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2023

Yea besides the blue transitional model but then that blue version with the good case never really received any marketing support at all even though its the best Hour Vision of all. The sides of the steel case just feel really underfinished and a bit lazy to me.

4. gmmy775 Apr 14, 2023

I have only seen these while looking at offerings, and I am not very educated on them. I will be clicking on the link now to catch up. I don't know the difference between the two cases, but to my inexperienced eye the photo dsio presented is an attractive timepiece

5. gmmy775 Apr 14, 2023

Both highly detailed articles are, to my thinking, must reads for anyone wanting to understand the direction of the newest generation of Omegas. Funny, I had just included in a post about my recent acquisition of a long wished for Speedmaster, that a Globemaster seemed to be my next goal. Needless to say, that has changed. Considering the content of these Hour Visions they seem like a bargain even at full retail. Having now being schooled, I concur with the nod towards the first generation over the second...except for the "transitional". Mind officially blown.

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 15, 2023

You are very good at bringing overlooked or even unfairly unloved models to the fore Ash. I had the good fortune to handle a black dial gen 1 HV recently and was very impressed with the quality and how downright cool the see through sapphire sides were. I’m thinking I should have snapped it up but I see why the transitional model would be the sweet spot. I just don’t get why Omega would give up its USP on the 2nd gen which makes a bit of a mockery of the name. I might just see if the one I handled is still available as it was way cheap and it was only my prejudice against the DV line which made me keep the moths in my wallet.

Edited Apr 15, 2023
    Bruce235 and gmmy775 like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 15, 2023

Yea its baffling that they downgraded the case, as I mention in the article (and I must admit I have no evidence of this) I suspect that due to the Hour Vision’s purpose as the springboard for the Calibre 8500 that Omega was betting their future on, turning a profit on the Hour Vision was irrelevant and they may have made little or even lost money on each example due to the complexity of the sapphire case. Its rather telling that even 15 years later, you don’t see that all sapphire mid-case in any other Omega or in any price comparable competitor.

gmmy775 and padders like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 17, 2023

Update: I went back and purchased the black dial 1st Gen I mentioned above. I'll post some pics once I have it serviced and its back to its best. The quality of the dial finishing and translucent mid case really are beguiling and unique at this price point, or indeed any other. I can't really see why these didn't get more love back in the day, other than lack of awareness but all the better for buyers today.

dsio and Bruce235 like this.