Forums Latest Members

Omega Stories: The Magnificently Vulgar Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200 Horology’s Answer To Truck Nuts

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2023

RawArcher, apsm100, Difeer and 12 others like this.
  2. Evitzee Jun 21, 2023

Good article, I didn't know much about this line or its history.

3. RI Omega Fan Jun 21, 2023

Yeah, and now I want one…

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2023

Me too but I especially want that golden one, when you consider what modern 18k gold models go for just in Planet Ocean or Seamaster lines today, the 50k euros in 2009 was a steel and it didn’t even get that high in 2019…

If the owner is out there, I don’t have any cash but can do a pretty good trade

I’d even throw in a free tier 2 subscription to OF to sweeten the deal.

Plees, MDubs, neilfrancis and 3 others like this.
  5. pdxleaf ... Jun 21, 2023

My first introduction to this watch was from my local watch dealer, who used to be an Omega AD and sells a lot of used Rolex, in addition to interesting vintage pieces that make their way to him. As he has been working with watches for over 35 years, starting while in college to help pay rent, he has acquired some jaw dropping pieces, including early Speedmasters with box and papers and NOS Zeniths (it's not my place to go into specifics.)

The point is that he is very knowledgeable and has access to just about any watch he could want, vintage or modern. Yet the only watch he wears day in and day out is his Ploprof.

When I retired and was ready to buy my Speedmaster, I asked my brother if he was also interested in getting one, as I was able to get a discount from the PX, (back in the day when you could get a discount). He said yes, and those were our first Omegas. While I got heavily into watches, he was happy with his two, the Speedmaster and a later Seamaster chronograph. Then one day we stopped by my friend's shop to say hello. When my brother saw the Ploprof, he was smitten. It was almost electric. He had to have that watch.

Today, both wear their Ploprofs, although my brother switches between his three regularly, sometimes during the day.

The Ploprof is very comfortable. It's a watch that looks strange sitting on a bench but looks less bizarre when on a wrist. I like it, but I don’t have that same passion for it. I wish I did, as it's a statement piece.

As some people are currently discussing a GADA watch, this could be that. Someone might object to wearing a Ploprof to a dinner event, but the person who wears a Ploprof could likely pull it off in style.

There's something to be said for a watch that doesn't appeal to the masses but still is an outstanding watch with few peers.

20230120_120909.jpg

Edited Jun 21, 2023
    Plees, duc, Fish70 and 5 others like this.
  6. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 21, 2023

I love the original Ploprof and it’s a “one day” grail kind of watch for me. I quoted this portion of your comment because I’ll always remember this photo. It looks so casual yet in style in this photo, while also ready for proper adventure. George Clooney could probably pull anything off in style though lol.
    IMG_6178.jpeg

watchyouwant, Fish70, Dsloan and 3 others like this.
  7. Dsloan Jun 21, 2023

This wins for best thread title of the year.

And, put me down as someone who would love to pick up a Ploprof. Seems like a logical endpoint for my collection of over-engineered tool watches.

8. rendo Jun 21, 2023

This is the watch I picture myself wearing if I ever get a G-wagon one day, but I don't think I can avoid looking silly with it on my wrist. To quote dsio's article, I would look more like the guy wearing a crash-helmet in public, but built from stainless steel.

Ebuster likes this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 21, 2023

Geez that gold one(of one) ::love::

10. Dsloan Jun 21, 2023

I was thinking about this more today, and keep musing on how the Ploprof is a certifiable challenge to the notion of good taste and timeless style. Many of us complain about how companies fail to just give us a dialed in, more 'perfect' design (Omega: please lose the HEV; Rolex: please lose the cyclops; Tudor: why won't you just reissue the snowflake sub that we want? Everyone: why can't you make this 36-39mm instead of 40-44mm?)

And yet, here is the Ploprof, breaking all the rules: it's huge, thick, and asymmetrical. It has an off-kilter date window and sports a fortress of a crown guard. It has a veritable mountain of bezel knurling and is also quite gaudy depending on the metal and colorway. Yet, it endures as a classic piece of the Omega catalogue. It's a good reminder that 'good taste' or 'good design' isn't a fixed or known quantity.

duc, watchyouwant and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  11. Aroxx Sets his watch Jun 21, 2023

That was a fun read but I don't think that watch will ever grow on me. The dial, hands, and bezel are cool but the rest... I'm glad that it exists though and that some people enjoy it and wear that absurd thing around without a care in the world. I would like to try one on someday just to see it in the metal.

Makesbelieve, DrmexicoII and wagudc like this.
  12. Dsloan Jun 22, 2023

I hear what you saying, but have you considered this: you could have truck nuts for your wrist.

Plees likes this.
  13. HiDive Nov 16, 2023

As a former Professional Diver, I have had two over the years and the second is new and much nicer than the older model.

[​IMG]

14. blubarb Dec 25, 2023

A man’s watch. End of.

15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 25, 2023

Well written! I had a few vintage ones over the last 30 plus years. Restored a few. Still have parts for it . Even bought a Helson model, which was astoundingly close to the Original . If I'm ever forced to have only one Omega, that would be it.
    On a side note : Don't ridicule DascHound's .... Or call them Dash Hounds or something. They were breed to get ( in German) a Dachs ( English Badger) out of his burrow. Fearless with short legs was needed for the task... So, DacsHound might be the better pronunciation.

16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 27, 2023

I'm a huge fan of the Ploprof. The modern steel is my daily wear watch. I bought the modern Ploprof 8+ years ago and then several months later that year the vintage Ploprof.

Very comfortable to wear and by far I receive the most compliments compared to any other watch I wear (variety of Speedmasters).

The watch winder was a Christmas gift.

1000007200.jpg

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2023

Apologies for making fun of fine German engineering, both in the case of the wiener dog and the clown shoe, both excel at their intended purpose :D

Plees likes this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2023

Just casually sitting the skeleton gold Speedy off to the side like a paperweight lol

19. Bruce235 Dec 27, 2023

Nice article, but the ad pop-ups were unbearable.

20. sheepdoll Dec 27, 2023

They are also good and relentless about getting gophers out of the garden. They also like to bark a lot. Surprisingly aggressive for their size. DCP_2944.png