Omega Stories: Japanese Shibui - The Geneve 166.721

Posts
907
Likes
3,818
Crummy photos but not a bad example of the blue dial Cal 565 on bracelet as a buy it now with a good price
The watch is better than what I expected. It needs a service, but I assumed that anyway. I love the blue dial and the unique case. Thanks again for posting it.
 
Posts
35,645
Likes
39,895
The watch is better than what I expected. It needs a service, but I assumed that anyway. I love the blue dial and the unique case. Thanks again for posting it.
Nice! Looks way better on your wrist than it did in the photos, what's funny is the listing you bought it from was one of those that re-list Japanese market watches, so your exact watch is still listed for sale in several places by other competing re-sellers.

I think if these had actually been sold in western markets they would have been really popular, but the fact that they're still largely unknown is still keeping them dirt cheap for a watch with a fantastic 3D dial design, unique larger case and Cal 565.
 
Posts
907
Likes
3,818
Nice! Looks way better on your wrist than it did in the photos, what's funny is the listing you bought it from was one of those that re-list Japanese market watches, so your exact watch is still listed for sale in several places by other competing re-sellers.

I think if these had actually been sold in western markets they would have been really popular, but the fact that they're still largely unknown is still keeping them dirt cheap for a watch with a fantastic 3D dial design, unique larger case and Cal 565.
I know this is very common in Japan, and I have bought watches this way before, but I have always wondered how it actually works. My assumptions is that this seller, and a few others you mentioned, first saw this watch at a store. He then took some poor photos of it and posted on eBay. Once eBay confirmed my purchase, he went back to the store and bought the watch. The other sellers continue to list it because they have no way of knowing if it has already been sold. Is that your understanding of this process?

I should add that I have had a very good experience with Japanese sellers so far. I appreciate the hand-written postcards they include with the purchase, or some random freebies like a pen or origami.
 
Posts
16
Likes
79
Managed to snag one of these, really pleased to get it as the watch really appealed to me, it's quite unique. It's not in mint condition but looks to be a fairly genuine watch that's lived a life so I won't mind wearing it and adding to it's history.
Does anyone know if the genuine crystal should have the omega logo on this model? I can't quite make out whether they should or not.
 
Posts
907
Likes
3,818
Does anyone know if the genuine crystal should have the omega logo on this model? I can't quite make out whether they should or not.
Mine doesn't have the logo either.
 
Posts
367
Likes
1,676
I write about what I like and enjoy though so I’ll probably keep touching on these unusual and unknown ones.
Please do!