Forums Latest Members

FS Omega Speedsonic Lobster with original lobster bracelet

1. Fattony Aug 8, 2017

Evening all

This is an increasingly rare and special watch, the Omega Speedmaster ‘Speedsonic’

The watch is excellent original condition. This is an absolutely lovely example of an Omega Speedmaster Speedsonic, probably one of the rarest of Omega chronographs and one of the rarest Speedmaster models.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 16.01.24.png

The Omega Speedmaster ‘Speedsonic’ was introduced in the early 1970’s as Omegas flagship chronograph, considerably more expensive than the moon watch or other Omega chronographs and the only one (other than the limited edition Speedy 125) that was Chronometer certified. The Speedsonic was an adaptation of Omegas mosaba movement or as we know it the F300, a mechanical movement which ran on a battery and was controlled by tuning forks which vibrated at a frequency of 300Hz

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 16.00.18.png

The movement was made under licence by Bulova, the chronograph version then adapted with basically and extra ‘layer’ for the chronograph operation. The movement in this watch was known as the Mosaba meaning ‘montre sans balancier’ translates for ‘watch with no balance’

This particular type, the Cal 9210, which has a chronograph module atop the generic oscillator module of the 9162/4 and a modified drivetrain module. The chronograph module was developed in secret by Dubois Dépraz at the behest of ESA and was caused quite a stir when launched 1972 as the worlds first electronic Chronograph

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 16.00.33.png

The Speedsonic was made in a few variations, most well known is the standard cushion case Speedsonic which came in SS or Gold plate with a number of dial variations. There were only 10000 9210’s made in total production, when new these where flagship chronographs, costing 1/3rd more than the range topping flightmaster and Speedmaster Professional ‘moonwatch’.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 16.00.03.png

The watch is in remarkable condition, the case is completely original and has never been refinished. The case back is also completely original with very clear hippocampus. The movement is running exactly as it should and all functions working perfectly.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 16.00.54.png

This watch represents a true milstone in both watch making and Omega’s history, it was the first Chronometer Chronograph produced by the company and the worlds first electronic chronograph.

I am looking for

£2295

The watch will be shipped ParcelPro full insured, I would be happy to pick up a conversation on the phone or via PM and interested parties are most welcome to view the watch at our offices in Cheshire.

Many thanks Tony Wooderson

Edited Aug 25, 2017
    Tet, mikechi22 and Tom Dick like this.
  2. Fattony Aug 25, 2017

Still available

3. mikechi22 Aug 25, 2017

I love your posts, Fattony! I'm sure I'm going to buy something from you one of these days...your love of these watches is infectious! Now why is it called a "lobster"? Bracelet design?

4. Fattony Aug 26, 2017

Thank @mikechi22

The name lobster (according toy good mate Tom) is derived from the design of the bracelet, it is a really intricate thing which has hollow links and a milanese bracelet welded inside the links to give it rigidity and longevity. It really is something quite special. The bracelet are notorious for sagging and being damaged so to find a good one like this is becoming quite rare.

mikechi22 likes this.
  5. mikechi22 Aug 26, 2017

Thanks for giving the scoop in this! Very striking and it does remind a person of a lobster's tail! I'm sure their marketing materials used a more sophisticated moniker, no?

Edited Aug 26, 2017
  6. Fattony Sep 8, 2017

Bumping this one up

7. Fattony Sep 16, 2017

Still available

8. Fattony Sep 24, 2017

Still available

This is a stunning watch and in near perfect condition, you wont find better

uktotty likes this.