Forums Latest Members
  1. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Hello People :)

I am desperately trying to find the perfect vintage watch to buy as a gift. I have only recently started doing extensive research on vintage watches, and I've decided I definitely want an Omega. My budget is Under $2000 CAD.

I have found this Omega Speedmaster with a starting bid of 600 EUR. I have tried really hard to more information on this but it has definitely been tough. It is a Signed automatic calibre 1140.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I just want to make sure I make a good buy, and get my hands on something special. Thank you!

164908-a6d8f1f18f353e70cf16d1a37a15ba1f.jpg 164909-bad5e6f1d81fe9bc4298c220f129fd99.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 19, 2015

3. Canuck Oct 19, 2015

It would help a great deal if you could provide information about the model number of the movement (the works). I don't know what other views you will get in answer to your query. But if this watch has the older model movement (often called a Speedmaster reduced), with the chronograph module in front of an ETA automatic wind movement, that might be the reason for the low price! If it is the later ETA chronograph calibre, it might be an okay deal. I own one of these with the older calibre, and servicing can be expensive. Mine was such a poor performer, I had the movement replaced, and that is expensive!

4. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Hello, thanks for your helpful advice, I have the model number it is: 53747043 and the movement is automatic...

5. Canuck Oct 19, 2015

That sounds like a serial number. I am referring to the actual calibre number of the "works". The actual model number of the watch is likely stamped or engraved inside the case back. I would suggest knowing the calibre number will identify exactly WHICH automatic wind movement is in that watch.

6. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Yes you are correct, I realized that after I sent it. But all I know is that it is a speed master chronograph with automatic calibre 1140

7. Canuck Oct 19, 2015

Suspicions confirmed. This watch has the "Speedmaster reduced" movement in it. Might be okay. But know what your options are if this is a "problem" watch! You'll pay more for the newer version, but in my view, it would be worth the extra. If anyone on this MB has experience servicing the Dubois Depraz chronograph module on the calibre 1140, perhaps they might lend some advice.

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 19, 2015

Not sure what Canuck is replying to but I don't think it's the OP. As I said in my post, go to the link I provided to learn about the speedy reduced.

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 19, 2015

Al put the myth that these movements are a "problem" to bed a long time ago. Maybe you should ask him.

10. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Hello, how do I find Al??:)

11. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

I went to the link, which looks like it confirms that this is a speedy reduced, but how do I know if that is a good thing or a bad thing... :unsure:

12. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

You know what I just read some articles about these reduced models, and it sounds like there is nothing wrong with them. Besides the fact that they are similar to the moon watch and it can be misleading.

I noticed that there are some models from the link you sent me from the year 1989. Do you know if any of those particular models would be in my price range? I would love to buy one from that year.

13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 19, 2015

It all depends why you are starting a watch collection. If you want some pices to wear in rotation, then budget considerations aside, it should consist of watches that "sing" to you.

If, however, you want a collection to flip for profit, then base your choices on market research. Ebay, auction sites and other sales outlets will be your starting points.

14. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Thanks for the reply, this is actually a gift for my boyfriend. He intends to start a watch collection himself, and has a few pieces already. I don't care much for resale, because I know he would never sell a gift, but I do want it to be something unique and collectible so that he is excited to receive it. Also, he knows more about this than I do, so something that might be nice to me might not be special at all hahaha you know what I mean?

15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 19, 2015

A speedmaster reduced is neither unique or collectable. Maybe you should ask your boyfriend what watch he would be happy with for his birthday.

16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 19, 2015

Thx for the clarification. As it's a gift for your bf, perhaps have a look at the sales sections here. If you have seen the sort of watches he already has, it might give you an idea of where his tastes are.

That having been said, a nice vintage Seamaster or Constellation (to me anyway) will always enhance any collection.

efauser and Peemacgee like this.
  17. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

Thank you! Yes the Constellations look really nice to me, but I don't know how he would feel about the seamaster because he hasn't shown much interest in the new versions (maybe he would like it vintage). But I do know that he loves the new speedmasters and was considering the purchase, then decided to look into vintage watches in general.

So I gather that a vintage speedmaster (in my price range) is not recommended as a collectors item?

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 19, 2015

Read this:

http://speedmaster101.com/blog/why-buy-a-145-022/

that's what I would buy - even if you have to stretch a little.

I always forget how much I pay for a good watch. Every time I look at it I think, that's a good watch.

A "cheap" watch will forever remind you of how much it cost. (If that was the only reason you bought it, price)

While there are those that will defend a speedmaster reduced, there is no doubt that in 10 or 20 years time the interest in them will have gone in the opposite direction to the genuine Moon/Pre-Moon Speedmasters, which are an entirely different animal.

19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 19, 2015

Both the Constellation and the Seamaster vintage models are what today would probably be called (semi) dress watches. Later on the Seamasters became the Omega dive watch line.

20. sba2222 Oct 19, 2015

So I'm really liking these Speedmaster .861's. I tried looking for some in my price range but all of them are too expensive. Any ideas where I can look for this? Is ebay my best bet?