Forums Latest Members
  1. Constantin86 Apr 30, 2016

Dear friends,
    I got recently offered a Speedmaster professional from 2000.
    http://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=1807
    What confuses me:
    The case doesn't have any number engraved? (-though the movement has its movement number engraved)
    Also, dial and fingers use tritium. Didn't Omega switch to superluminova around '97?

I'm confused, especially regarding that there's no number on the case....apart from that it look's original.

Any guess welcome :)

Many thanks,
    Constantin

2. uwsearch Apr 30, 2016

It looks more like luminova than tritium, what makes you think it's tritium?
    Case is replacement

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 30, 2016

Pics?

4. flyingout Apr 30, 2016

Just curious, are they called fingers in some languages? Makes some sense actually.

5. uwsearch Apr 30, 2016

in french "hands" are called "needles"

6. sky21 Apr 30, 2016

It looks like a standard 3572.50 to me, plus it looks like it just got a nice service so if the price is right and you like the display caseback then go for it. These did start out using tritium but yours appears to be the SL version.

7. Constantin86 May 1, 2016

:) thanks a lot for everyone's help! Actually, after checking the pictures again I got the tritium thing wrong. You're right, no T on the dial = definitely Superluminova.

For me there's only one thing left: The missing S/N. Some of you justify this due to a replacement, the majority to a Grey market watch. The information, if Omega would touch a 'no S/N watch' is discussed controversially on the net.
    It's a private auction, the seller seems to be fine,....however, for ~2500 $ (and no guarantee/ return policy) I kind of feel worried.

However, many thanks for everyones thoughts on that watch.

Best wishes,
    Constantin

PS: No fingers...hands. Fingers has been an incorrect 'invention' of myself :-D (in Germany we call the Zeiger, which would mean pointers)

8. tyrantlizardrex May 1, 2016

Is there definitely no serial number? Not just that the seller has obscured it, or photographed badly?

Maybe worth asking ;)

9. Constantin86 May 1, 2016

The case definitely never had a S/N - I received some more detailed pictures via mail as well as the seller's statement. He can't tell why the case comes without number.
    The number is only on the movement itself.

10. tyrantlizardrex May 1, 2016

Googling around, there are quite a lot of pictures of 2000/2001 display back Speedmasters without a serial number on the case.

Are we all 100% sure it's meant to have one?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2016

There's really no controversy. As per the Omega Customer Service policy, in an instance where the watch case and movement both would have come with a serial number, and the serial number is removed from the case, Omega will service the watch. If the serial number is removed from BOTH the case and the movement, then they will not service the watch.

So as long as your movement still has the serial number, they will service the watch. Of course it's a watch many independent watchmakers can service easily as well.

Cheers, Al