Omega Speedmaster Vintage 60's Special Bezel (Medical Telemeter Decimal)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (fantastic research, by the way!) but quick question: Are bezels interchangeable across case numbers, i.e., will 145.012 bezel fit a 3750.50 case?

Why are Speedmasters not offered anymore with these bezels? I think it would create some diversity not coming from introducing loads of new ceramic models and various other homages to the original speedies.

I certainly would welcome it 😀

Why are Speedmasters not offered anymore with these bezels? I think it would create some diversity not coming from introducing loads of new ceramic models and various other homages to the original speedies.

I certainly would welcome it 😀

They are still offered. I'm not sure that these were ever different models in terms of the whole watch, just offered as an option for those who wanted something other than the tachy bezel. These are available - you just need to find a watchmaker who will get the bezel and do the swap for you. I'm thinking Omega would even likely do this if you asked.

Cheers, Al

Thanks for the reply, Al. I just assumed you couldn't get them anymore since I haven't seen a single new Speedmaster with anything other that the tachymeter bezel. Interesting that not more people get one of the other variants.

The most apparent difference between these two bezels is at 70. Look at the relation between 7, 0 and the hash mark - it is quite distinct.

That said, it is not exactly clear of all the service bezels should look like the one on the right though, nor all those that look like that ought to be service replacements. In general, if it looks new and like that, it's probably a service. If it looks older or faded, it's rather unknown whether vintage or replacement.

Felt this needed to resurrected, Mateo's posts are always superb but this one particularly for me as it has helped me to pick up something I've wanted for a very long time, a NOS decimal bezel for my Ed White. The service replacement bezel is very difficult to tell apart from the original but Mateo's post and some detailed analysis of the images helped me separate out the service replacement from this NOS original, which landed on my door this morning

Ive done a ton or research on these, the modern service replacement have much finer font and thicker markers, plus the spacing and typography of the service bezels is totally different. Overall very pleased, now just need to pluck up the courage to get STS to remove my gorgeous original DON and fit this beauty

Original bezel left and my new NOS 60's bezel right
Edited:

I was flipping through my brand new MWO copy today and stumbled on the special bezels and thought of this thread.

This thread shows the difference between the vintage and the service bezels, but is there a cut off time known for the vintage bezels? And can these service bezels be considered period correct for certain 145.022 renditions?

For instance, here in the new MWO a 145.022-69 is fitted with the later bezel, that MWO labels als an optional bezel. Is this bezel therefore period correct for this watch?

Furthermore, the vintage edition of this particular bezel is mentioned as being from 1960/61

I was flipping through my brand new MWO copy today and stumbled on the special bezels and thought of this thread.

This thread shows the difference between the vintage and the service bezels, but is there a cut off time known for the vintage bezels? And can these service bezels be considered period correct for certain 145.022 renditions?

Not easy to say

I think vintage bezel fits model from 60's to early 70's
Edited:

There was an early 80's Speedy on eBay with a vintage pulsations bezel a year or so ago.

Obviously it wasn't definitely original, but it looked like it could have been. I remember kicking myself for not buying it.

I think the decimal bezel is amazing, are they up in the prices of dot90,s?

Great thread, glad it was resurrected. I have seen the pulsation bezels but was not aware of the other special bezels let alone the differences between service and vintage.

Indeed great topic... about time Omega brings the Telemeter bezel back onto the Speedmaster... or add it as a useful extra item in the box!

Everybody knows how to recognize a Vintage Pulsometer Bezel

but perhaps not everybody knows how to identify a Vintage Telemetre Bezel 😀

KM

MILE

Decimal Bezel (the most difficult to recognize)

Thank you, very useful thread, especially to recognize the original/service bezel 😉