Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday problems

1. autumnwind Sep 20, 2017

Indeed you're not. :)

Yours is more polite and warm. Mine is more blunt to seek information. Point noted but of course we have different styles. I am noted to be a dull side of a sharp stick. Or the sharp side of dull stick. Dull edge of a dull stick? I am trying to work on that personally, I promise!

I still disagree though that

'Has everyone examined their watch closely ? There are pics circulating of fairly profound manufacturing defects atm.... would like to know anyone encountering similar issues ?'

implies witch hunting, conspiracy theories or sensationalism. But I realised its definitely the wrong thread as per my explanation above.

I also don't like to introduce bias and prefer open ended questions to people who may not have heard of the issues, to just observe inital responses and uncluttered thoughts, before introducing the issue of contention. Again my style :)

But your input is noted and I probably feel more empowered now to participate more!

Tet, Pun and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Sep 20, 2017

Be critical, please, just with evidence. :thumbsup:

Timmert likes this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Sep 20, 2017

Fair point. :)

If you scrub through all the threads/posts everywhere, there seem to be 5 watches being talked about publicaly with issues.

I've seen mention of:

One where the hands didn't line up.

One with the missing lume plot.

Three with dial printing errors.

I'd agree that in an ideal world, no product should leave the factory out of spec, but suspect there are failure tolerances.

Out of a run of 2012 pieces, I don't know how many would be acceptably expected to have issues... would be interesting to know because I'm nosey. :thumbsup:

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 20, 2017

10 watches is 0.5 %

Google "the bathtub curve" all products have defect tolerances.

@Archer would know a bit about it to due to his background ( I think )

5. BenjaminT Sep 20, 2017

We are by far not there - unfortuneately:(. 1/2, at max 2/3rd delivered until now.

6. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Sep 20, 2017

I am sorry and surprised to see the criticism to which you've been subjected here. Most posts about ST have been repetitive, non-value-adding expressions of childish impatience about the delivery schedule, (which was never 'promised' in any case). In contrast, as a result of your post, I'll now been taking a loupe with me when I go to collect, something I would not have thought to do otherwise. I owe you thanks for that.

Mostly it's ultra-friendly here, with lots of mutual help with information, knowledge and expertise. It goes against the grain in my view for you to be 'instructed' on how you should have made your post.

I certainly understand your viewpoint and greatly respect your taking the trouble to explain it fully with the subsequent posts.

Yam2k, koch, ConElPueblo and 4 others like this.
  7. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

On the face of it, 0.5% might seem like a small amount, but it's actually a huge amount. If you consider the millions of regular Speedmasters (or any other model), that would equate to tens of thousands with QC issues. Yet aside from the "220" bezels I can't recall any notable reports of "mistakes". I'm sure they happen, but at nowhere near that percentage volume.

8. tyrantlizardrex Sep 20, 2017

And there will be issues across all of the watches that Omega (and everyone else) produces... this is 2012 units out of hundred of thousands that they produce every year... but no one is watching all the other product lines with the eagle eyes of the Speedmaster Fanatic Fanclub. :whistling:

Rodmar, frederico and Lonestar like this.
  9. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

Granted, but you don't need "eagle eyes" to spot missing lume or botched dial numbers. We're not talking about tiny imperfections on the bracelet or paint. This is more like putting the Omega logo on upside down and no-one noticing... :unsure:

Bulldozer and Lonestar like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Sep 20, 2017

Yup, where there are humans, there is human error.

11. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

They're not human. They're Swiss. :)

Bumper, koch, ConElPueblo and 5 others like this.
  12. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 20, 2017

they'll be the ones fetching the highest values 40 years from now :D

kov, Rodmar, koch and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

So, so true. :D

14. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

Now people will be getting their ST, closely inspecting it and saying "Damn, I've got a no-mistake one.." :whistling:

koch, repoman and cristos71 like this.
  15. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 20, 2017

I haven't been following the Facebook group since mine arrived, but wasn't there also one with some defect on the hands visible near the post? Granted it was only visible with a macro lens zoomed in fully, but still...

My own speculation, based on zero credible sources, is that these defects which were mostly spotted in that first wave of deliveries are the reason that the rest of the watches have taken so long to be delivered: either additional QC or the QC noticed more defects than they typically find and this is causing the deliveries to slow...

lando and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Sep 20, 2017

You're right Andy :thumbsup:

Speculation, but seems plausible... also the August shutdown.

The thought occurs, that this is the first piece 100% targeted at the collector market... and as such is under a much greater level of scrutiny that anything Omega have produced to date... I mean, how many "regular" customers ever look at their watch with a loupe, or macro lens, let alone check the watch for defects using them?

Interesting stuff...

17. mikesspeedy Sep 20, 2017

For what it s worth my 2 cents. In my experience there are always the potential for errors and issues. Its great we have a forum where they can be aired. The real judge of Omega is how they respond to these errors /lapses. If as I would imagine they respond by taking ownership and correcting them, I see it as a positive experience giving credence to the view we all have that Omega are a superior maker of time peace's and provide a great customer service. None of us can expect 100% perfection every time but we can expect them to take ownership of issues and correct them as quickly and fully as possible. Personally if I got one with a dial print error I would keep it just so. Worth a fortune in years to come. IF, on the other hand. I were Omega I would want that watch back to correct the issue.

We live in a world without perfection but I have to say Omega do seem to get reasonably close.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. MAT_ZAP Sep 20, 2017

Wow, this is an egregious lume issue. I'll have to check the state of my lume, I've yet to closely inspect it yet.

19. mikesspeedy Sep 20, 2017

I would expect that IF you have not noticed a lume issue with your watch up on casual use then you probably don't have an Issue? JMO

20. MAT_ZAP Sep 20, 2017

I just received my watch recently and thankfully I can't find any imperfections with the dial by eye. I've yet to take a loupe to it yet, but I would be surprised if I found anything. I can't imagine what it's like for those who just get their watch after waiting so long just to have to send it back, that's pretty cruel. I would preferred to have waited a bit longer and gotten a perfect watch than go through the excitement of going to to store to get my watch but then have to give it up for who knows how long.