Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster serial numbers

1. johanolov Aug 15, 2020

I have a question about Omega Speedmaster and how you find out the correct year based on Omegas Serial number tabel. When you read tabel for Speedmasters only it ends year 1990. Is this tabel current also when it comes to The Redused models? For example is the serialnumber on one of my Redused 53446288. Can anybody out there give me some help I would greatful.

2. Marsimaxam Aug 22, 2020

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. EricCsN Aug 22, 2020

to my mind there is a fallacy with thinking there is a strict ordering of these serial numbers and date of production runs
    Why?
    because one of my seamaster bought in 2007 (13 years ago) has the reference of 81xxxxxx
    my 45A A17 (45th Apollo 17 of 2017) has the reference of 78xxxxxx
    my 50A A11 of 2019 has the reference of 82xxxxxx
    my aventurine blue of same 2019 has the reference of 89xxxxxx

Edited Aug 22, 2020
    Marsimaxam likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 22, 2020

Reduced and professionals do not share the same charts.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  5. Marsimaxam Aug 22, 2020

Thanks for the input. It would be nice, if the charts mentioned this fact... hopefully some do.
    Always learning.

"... important thing to note is that because Omega serial numbers are typically movement serial numbers, the sequence of serial numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. Movement parts could have come together much earlier than a complete watch, so it is entirely feasible that a later model could have a lower serial number than an earlier model. Furthermore, the below charts are estimations, therefore there is the possibility that certain production dates could be off by as much as a few years.

Finally and perhaps most importantly, the Omega Speedmaster - the brand’s most famous collection of watches and the model best known for being the first watch worn on the moon - follows a different Omega serial number system. So, if you’re looking for the serial number of an Omega Speedmaster, it's crucial to make sure you're using the correct chart."
    Source...https://www.bobswatches.com/omega/serial-numbers

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 22, 2020

That chart is next to useless on Speedmasters, and anything at all really post 1990. Most of the on line charts are.

There is an overall pattern but with certain models Omega has been sequential within a range so there are jumps. 53.4m on a Reduced is around 1993 give or take a year but to be sure you would need to research other examples of a given model, look at intro dates etc. I keep date info for my watches, some of it calculated/estimated.

Foo2rama and Marsimaxam like this.
  7. Marsimaxam Aug 22, 2020

I know that now.....::book::

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 23, 2020

I think you may be missing one point, I don’t fully agree with the bobs watch quote you posted. They just thought it was too much work to provide a proper date reference (it is) so went with the claim that the numbers are not sequential due to movements being stockpiled. They are sequential it’s just that the pattern is complicated. You can accurately date any Omega by serial but you need more than a single chart. It’s not just Speedmasters that have gaps and jumps, many other models do too.

Edited Aug 23, 2020
    Foo2rama and Marsimaxam like this.
  9. Marsimaxam Aug 23, 2020

Thank you... really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2020

If you have a picture of the watch we might be able to give you an approximate date.