Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster S105 012-65

1. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

Hi All,

My first post and I hope someone may be able to help.

I have just acquired the watch in the title and I am trying to decide what to do with it. It belonged to my dad and has been sat unused for many years. I have been badgering him for a while and today he gave in.... it has become mine.

He received the watch as a present for his 18th birthday and it was his day to day watch for many years and as a result has suffered scratches etc.
    I have cleaned the watch this afternoon and taken the back off to give it a once over.

I intend to replace the crystal as this is scratched but I wanted to check whether the items advertised on EBay will be the best way to do this? Do you have any reservations?
    Also the bezel has signs of use, is there any value in replacing this?
    He didn't have the box so I would like to source a replacement, is there a particular box that was used in 1965?
    should there be a seal for the watch back? I was expecting an o-ring but there wasn't anything visible.
    Last question, I would like to have all the scratches removed and restore it to a shiny finish, is there anyone that comes recommended? I assume this would just require polishing?

Thanks in advance

James

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 5, 2016

We need lots of pictures, inside and out

3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 5, 2016

Lots and lots of pictures.

Welcome, you are in the right place, and congrats on inheriting your father's great watch.

4. BobXX Dec 5, 2016

As long as the scratches aren't too severe, you can likely polish them out, rather than replacing the crystal.

If it's the original bezel, then it's very valuable. Don't replace it (or at least keep the original if you do).

Yes, there should be a rubber o-ring.

Be very careful with having the watch polished, as polishing will soften the fine bevels of the case. Most collectors prefer scratches, so it the watch is likely more valuable if you leave it as-is.

5. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

Thanks guys, I have ordered some polywatch and a replacement seal.
    Pictures to follow

Thanks

6. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

7. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2905.JPG Sorry about the pictures but I hope it helps.
    Is anyone able to give me an idea of value? I don't intend selling but it helps to know what to spend on it

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG
  8. BobXX Dec 5, 2016

Looks like it's been serviced in the past, and unfortunately the hands and bezel have been replaced (which hurts the value).

The lume isn't a very appealing color either, but having the original bracelet helps.

All in all, I'd still say that it's a $5-6k watch as it currently sits.

9. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

Hi Bob, thanks for the feedback. The value is a surprise but I want to care for it in the right way regardless. I will try to polish the crystal prior to replacement.

Out of curiosity what should the hands look like?
    Can you advise what type of box I should be trying to source? I would like a period correct version.

Many Thanks

James

10. Davidt Dec 5, 2016

Is the value a surprise because you expected it to be higher or lower?

As noted above, hands and bezel have been replaced. A correct bezel runs from around $600 - 3000. Yours looks like a service item from the 70's. For a daily wearer, I'd leave as is.

Case looks ok and. Crystal can probably be salvaged.

First things first though, it will urgently need a service if it's going to be worn at all.

Check out speedmaster101.com for loads of great info on the finer details, value etc. I agree with the above price estimate If this was listed on eBay. Nevermind the value though, this is a great watch to be gifted by your father.

Ps. Don't waste time/money with a box. Spend the money getting it serviced and on your wrist where it belongs.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

Hi David, I had no idea it would be valued so highly in honesty.
    I have some nice watches, I have hankered after an Omega for some time but this is my first.

I will stop by the speedmaster site shortly, thanks for the heads up as Inhadnt heard of it.

I am based in the U.K, can you recommend anyone to carry out a service please?

Thanks

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 5, 2016

With the right stuff on it (DON bezel, etc.) and in good condition it is a $9k+ watch without the bracelet. Bracelets seem to go for $800 - $2k.

You are probably looking at $2.5k for bezel and service. The bezel hunt is tough though -- there is a lot of bidding competition for the nicer ones.

13. Davidt Dec 5, 2016

Well your day's getting better and better. First you get gifted a great, valuble vintage Speedmaster and then you happen to be in the UK (like me) where one of the finest Omega 321 workshops in the world is located. Check out SwissTec (Sister company to swiss time services). They can get parts for this movement where many people can't, and they are experienced in sympathetically servicing vintage pieces.

Jruk1981 likes this.
  14. LawBrk Dec 5, 2016

Swiss Time Services/SwissTec....all you need to know for service.

15. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

Excellent, thanks to all for your guidance. I will look up Swiss Tec :)

I have just been reading the SM101 site, really useful resource and the prices quoted are astonishing

16. Davidt Dec 5, 2016

Astonishing, but very accurate.

STS will be able to put on some correct hands (particularly the Chrono hand) and possibly age them slightly for you so they match the rest of the watch.

Good luck, it'll be a great watch after a sympathetic service. Don't firget to oust some pictures after it's been done.

Jruk1981 likes this.
  17. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

Thanks David, will do

18. marturx Dec 5, 2016

The most foolish thing you could do, is to polish the case, so leave that be, will you.

Here's my 105.012-65, bought on auction a couple of years ago

IMG_2556.JPG

Jruk1981 and LawBrk like this.
  19. Jruk1981 Dec 5, 2016

Very nice. After watching a video on the STS site I was thinking the polishing would be worthwhile.

How do you feel about leaving the case but having the bracelet polished whilst being serviced?

20. marturx Dec 5, 2016

Equally foolish as polishing the case

Jaacck and boat2dan like this.