Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Professional Questions :)

1. raynaldo Jul 8, 2018

Hi Peeps,

First of all amazing forums, I've read all there is to it on owning a speedy and there's just a couple of questions which I would like to ask all of you here...I purchased my speedmaster professional with hesalite back in March 2018 and has since wore it daily to work in an office setting. During the first 2 months, the watch averaged +8s / day (measured using the toolwatch app). Now, 3 months after the purchase the watch averaged +15s / day constantly.

On to the questions
    1. I always wind the speedy around 35-40x in the morning until full. Does different winding method affect the watch accuracy?
    2. Is +15s/day normal for the speedy? I've read in several forums that people can get COSC spec on the speedy.
    3. How does different resting positions affect the speedy? On my case, I usually put it either dial up, crown up or crown down on the table.

Cheers,

Ray

2. Caliber561 Jul 8, 2018

There's really no winding "method" to talk about. Just keep the watch fully wound and it ought to perform well within specifications.
    +15s/day is kind of dependant on how you wear the watch due to isochronism and all that fun stuff, but if I remember correctly the specifications for the 1861 movement are between -1/+11 s/day with the chronograph disconnected.
    Different resting positions will have result in marginally(usually) different rate. There are plenty of articles about how isochronism affects watches out there - isochronism doesn't just affect Speedmasters, and it's been an issue watchmakers have tried to reduce for hundreds of years.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 8, 2018

Try resting it in a different position at night. Isochronism means the affect of gravity on the hair spring is different depending on the position. Hence why pocket watches lasted so long on railways as they only had to be accurate in one position. Watches need to be accurate in all, and can be surprisingly different in different positions.

Caliber561 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  4. AchillesX Jul 8, 2018

Don't forget about magnetic fields can also affect it but then again my 3 week old Speedmaster Moonwatch is pretty damn accurate and keeps prefect time.

If you're a stickler for accuracy go with quartz watches. But then again I doubt people buy luxury watches for accuracy. A $50 Timex shows the same time as a Rolex or Omega or Patek Phillipe. People buy luxury watches as status symbols the same way they marry hot women or drive a Mercedes instead of a Ford. Any car can get you from A to B irregardless or its price. Wearing a $5000 watch doesn't make me in any way feel more special. I just paid the price for its history (and for the fact I always had a fascination with the Moon). But anyways I'm going off topic here ::facepalm1:: sorry.

Call your Omega Boutique and have the watch looked at if you feel it's too fast or too slow. It's your right after you paid so much money! After all, a watch should do what it was designed to do...keep the bloody time! :whipped: Omega.

I wear my Speedmaster MW on my left and on my right I have my Apple Watch (I kept it on for medical reasons) plus it lessens the chance of dropping my iPhone when I reach for it from my pocket whenever I have a msg or an alert.

Edited Jul 8, 2018
  5. jetkins Jul 8, 2018

Experiment with different resting positions overnight, and find the one that gives the least gain or hopefully even a slight loss, then leave it like that every night to reduce or even partially offset the time gained during the day. There are several apps available that will help you keep a log of rate vs position if, like me, you can't keep track of them all in your head.

6. AchillesX Jul 8, 2018

I read that in a different context and thought it was funny :oops::oops::oops:

Anyways, if you have an OhMega boutique near or an AD that does repair take it in and have it looked at. Mine keeps great time. I wear my Apple Watch on my right so I compare the both daily.

7. FreelanceWriter Jul 9, 2018

I try my best never to bring up grammar, but some things just irritate me too much not to mention: "irregardless" isn't a word, which explains the squiggly red line that appears under it when you type it out here. (You can trust that for words that aren't made up, like "Speedmaster.") Also, some of us marry women who are hot to us (as soon as we're lucky enough to find one who's genuinely as sweet as she is hot) rather than because we need to show them off. I drive a 2011 Rav 4 with 75,000 miles, keep my (non-designer) clothes (some of which I bought at Target) for as long as they last, and I wear a Speedmaster and a Flightmaster mainly because I wanted them ever since I first became aware of them as a kid during the Apollo years. I also deliberately avoid wearing the latter much in public, precisely because I'm not looking to show it off, either. We own absolutely nothing else that could even remotely be considered a "luxury" item of any kind (other than the two vintage Dynamics that I got my wife as a little gesture of sharing my interest in Omega watches, both of which are way too small for anybody other than one of us idiots to notice).

Just to save everybody the trouble, here you go:
    GrammarPolice.jpg

Edited Jul 9, 2018
    AchillesX and ICONO like this.
  8. raynaldo Jul 9, 2018

Thanks for your reply, everyone.

On a side note, what is the best method to test the watch accuracy (gaining / losing time)? Is an app like the toolwatch sufficient enough?

9. FreelanceWriter Jul 9, 2018

Now, you guys are just baiting me.

vbrad26 likes this.
  10. jetkins Jul 9, 2018

There, their, they're. It'll bee awl write.

drhombus24 and Archer like this.
  11. revmiguel Jul 9, 2018

My 3576 has shifted its level of accuracy over the year and a half I've had it. It used to get about 2+ seconds per day. Now it actually loses 1-2 seconds a day if it's kept with the dial up and usually if I'm wearing it. What's great is that I can get it to gain about 3 seconds per day, if I leave it resting on its side with the crown up. So I can basically just wear it, put it crown up at night, and it stays almost spot on.

The way I initially tested mine was to set it exactly 10 or 15 seconds behind on a Saturday, and then I would record how much time it gained each day. Keeping that log, I was able to see the average of what it was gaining. I don't keep track of that anymore, as I'm able to keep it on time. I just use the Hodinkee Watchville app to see if I'm a second or two fast or slow, and I can lay it dial up or crown up to speed it up or slow it down. The Watchville app also helps me to track the accuracy of the moonphase dial.

12. AchillesX Jul 9, 2018

The best way would prolly be taking it to an Omega boutique. They have the tools. What tools? I don't know but they do. I'm not a watchmaker either so maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 9, 2018

Yes decent app.

I use Twixt which is not as accurate but easier to use.