Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster Professional Prototype LCD Moonwatch, mint original condition and working perfectl

1. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 8, 2015

Afternoon all

This is perhaps the rarest production Speedmaster Professional ever made……… so on that starting point here is something really very very special, a 1977 Omega Speedmaster LCD ‘Moonwatch’

I have a few of these but can’t wear them all…….. I've sold couple over the last six months and this is probably the last one I am going to let go. So it seems right that I let it go to a new home and make room for some other new incoming watches, these rarely come up for sale (although I do accept there is another for sale at the same time), this stands out from the rest because it is in near new condition and it has a 000 serial number.

IMG_9926.JPG

This is really the rarest production Omega Speedmaster Professional made, an LCD variation Produced in 1977 and made for around 18 months, this example is in nearly as new condition and has never been refinished, the cal 1620 movement is perfect and original to the watch and all functions (including the light) are working as they should. It is the ultimate in this series of Speedmasters as it is the one in the famous Moonwatch style case.

IMG_9925.JPG

I took this example is PX from a friend in Switzerland, it is a 0004 serial number, denoting pre production run. I have had two other of these pre production watches, from what I can gather it has a slightly different quartz bar than others I have seen, which is why it could be designated a 0004 serial. The movement is serviced and overhauled and in excellent original condition, all functions work as they should.

Condition:

Case: Completely untouched and in near perfect condition, a few light storage marks

Bezel: original Bakelite bezel in stunning original as new condition.

Crystal: Original crystal, a few very light storage marks

Movement: Mint calibre 1620/ 4130 and functioning correctly, including the light

Case back: Perfect original condition

Bracelet: Original rally band with original Omega buckle.

The watches movement is calibre 1620, not to be confused in any way shape or form with modern LCD movements. This movement has a circa 5 SPM accuracy as a result of a high quality 32Khz quartz resonator. The functions on the watch (which all work as they should) include:

• Time/hour/minutes/seconds and day of week
    • 1/100 second chronograph able to accumulate to 0.1 seconds off 24 hrs
    • Split second chronograph
    • Lap time
    • Split/Stop of 2 consecutive times
    • Separately power light (working as it should)
    • Calendar programmed for leap year

Unbeknown to many collectors these Speedmaster were issued to NASA! They used a slightly modified version of this exact watch under calibre 1621 (it had no light function but instead had tritium painted behind the LCD) and were issued to NASA (12 pieces in total) as a test watch in 1978 and went up on numerous shuttle missions, as well as passing all of the NASA tests.

IMG_9928.JPG

This really is a special watch, there where very few of this type of the production Omega Speedmaster Professional made and even fewer have survived in this original condition and functioning correctly.

I would point out that the Davidoff brothers have one for sale at CHF 4000 (which is no where near as nice as this one) and there are two of the NASA prototypes for sale in the Christies '50 Speedmasters' sale on the 15th of December so if you want one now is the time to snap up this gem

The watch is presented on original period rally band and original Omega buckle.

IMG_9927.JPG

Anyway cutting to the chase, I am looking for a bargain £1250 for the watch shipped it has been fully checked and overhauled by omega with new batteries.

Payment via PP (gift or you cover fees) or BT

Cheers Tom

Edited Dec 8, 2015
    michael e, PatrickJ and JohnSteed like this.