Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Professional Chronograph 145.022 - Advice

1. FMITPF Mar 11, 2020

Edited Apr 8, 2020
  2. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 11, 2020

My only advice would be to not buy a watch as an investment. Buy what you want to wear.

it’s fine to try to assure a fair market price, but to seek gains or otherwise plan for so many unknown variables is folly.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Dan S Mar 11, 2020

It's not from the really desirable era of vintage Speedmasters, but it looks fine to me.

4. mr_yossarian Mar 12, 2020

Welcome. Do a forum search for your seller. And 4,5k is..strong.

kingsrider and SpeedyPhill like this.
  5. harrymai86 Mar 12, 2020

He is a dealer so of course a premium is expected.
    Abit more you can find a 69st with premoon caseback.

6. Passover Mar 12, 2020

A warm welcome from Münster!

As pointed out before, buying a watch as an investment is no good idea unless you are a pro.

If you buy a watch from a dealer and you want to resell it later you will have to write off at least 30% of the value to get is sold or even more.

If you have not decided yet if you prefer a pre moon or a later one you should wait with your decision. For me it was clear from the beginning that my first Speedmaster should be pre moon but the decision should be made by everyone for himself.

Did you check all available sources, escpecially https://speedmaster101.com/ ?

Good hunting :)

7. abrod520 Mar 12, 2020

Arthur's a great guy. He has somewhat high prices, but he always has great quality watches and service is A+. This one is maybe a bit expensive and if you had to sell it in the future, you probably wouldn't get your full investment back - but it's a truly wonderful piece that I personally would be pretty happy to have on my wrist. Arthur is also not the type of dealer to dismiss offers out-of-hand, so give him a ring and try maybe

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. mr_yossarian Mar 12, 2020

A judgement truly from..literally abroad :) And not about you Abrod. He is far away from being a great guy. Toxic watches his buddy in Geneve passes on to him, and sometimes parts go back the same way... Sure, I can elaborate on this later, but not now. I wouldn't buy a used car from him, and even least a vintage watch. Just as a Cliffhanger:
    A confirmed Ultraman..well, if you sell the hand after you got the Extract, you earn double..and the buyer of the hand does too..make 2 out of one UM, Berlin, Geneve..just one example..Take your time,research. Internet is your friend.

um.JPG

um3.JPG
    um2.JPG

Edited Mar 12, 2020
  9. OMEGuy Mar 12, 2020

I would really be interested in your elaboration (personal discrepancies or not), because I didn't hear anything negative about this seller so far.

10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 12, 2020

The watch looks a little banged up for its age and is overpriced considering the wear and tear. What is the dividing line these days between vintage and not vintage yet?.

PS my kids called me Boomer the other day so I guess I am vintage now.

Edited Mar 12, 2020
    WatchCor likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2020

Strong piece for what appears to be a stronger price. Looks like mid to late 80’s judging from the 17 marked 17 movement and other parts not looking at the serial.

12. machamp6650 Mar 12, 2020

Watch looks pretty clean and original for it's age / model.

Not sure if the exact year counts but ilovemyspeedmaster dates production of this serial to 1988.

Having said that, I agree the price is very strong for this watch, particularly without the bracelet. Will we see more pricing along these lines for any 861 / tritium speedmaster over the coming years? Who knows!

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. percymon Mar 13, 2020

I know its a very personal view, but I don't really see any appeal in a mid-late 80s watch over a new one. The colour of tritium lumed dials may appeal, but it'll be barely noticeable, if at all in the dark. A new speedie would have a robust warranty, and no need for parts/servicing for quite a few years. No questions over polished cases/lost profiles etc etc

14. Passover Mar 13, 2020

So, its Friday and here come the new offers from STO:

Among them, a "Near Mint" 145.022-68

https://www.shucktheoyster.com/omega-speedmaster-professional-chronograph-145-022-68-2/

22_004.jpg 22_010.jpg

I'm far from being an expert but IMO:

Wrong bezel (undeclared by the seller, value difference 2500 USD/€)

Unacrurate repainted hands

Chrono hand seems not to reset exactely

mr_yossarian likes this.
  15. Fabulon Mar 13, 2020

Describes the watch as near mint. An then says i might be polished once. How can a polished watch be a mint watch. Such a description doesnt seem "good guy" like....

16. OMEGuy Mar 13, 2020

I am with you.

Since you're on his new items alert list, I wonder if you bought from him?

17. abrod520 Mar 13, 2020

Oh it's actually quite noticeable on the wrist. Tritium has a warmer color and for a vintage watch lends a nice lived-in feeling. It's not for everyone though, and a new Speedmaster is still one of the better values in the watch world IMO.

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. abrod520 Mar 13, 2020

Dealers are dealers - they make their living by selling watches. It's always up to the buyer to educate themselves and decide whether it's a good piece or not. I don't think he's being deceptive so much as maybe a little too hyperbolic in this case; but the number of dealers who can tell the difference between a DON and DNN can probably be counted on one hand. (And those dealers likely specialize in Omega; Arthur doesn't.)

I've personally dealt with him a few times, sometimes reaching a deal and sometimes not. He's been honorable in all communications I've had with him. I too am curious about whatever that other poster's Ultraman stuff was; sounds like it wasn't firsthand experience either way though.

19. Passover Mar 13, 2020

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. mr_yossarian Mar 13, 2020

just the tip of the iceberg..fun fact: what do you expect when your watchmaker charges you 150 Euros for a full "movement overhaul". As his does. I had 3 unpleasant services there before I decided not to bring watches there anymore. This is the standard for a serviced watch there I guess.