Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster (Non-Master) Co-Axial Accuracy Parameters

1. Slipstreamer Jun 29, 2015

I suppose my new non-master co-axial (Speedmaster HB-SIA 3603 movement) is not included in the METAS standard reserved for Master Co-Axial movements better than COSC standards.

I bought my brand new watch from an AD on April 27th and after a week the 30-minute chonograph was sticking between 25-28 minutes constantly. I then brought it to the AD where I purchased the watch to have it fixed under warranty. After they sent the watch to Omega I noticed that the date wheel was incorrect and called/exchanged emails with Omega and they finally agreed to replace the correct date wheel of my factory "Franken Speedmaster".

Fast forward to last week after I picked up the watch from my AD last Thursday, it looked great. Everything seemed to be working great. This weekend I timed my watch against the Atomic clock in my room, my iPhone and my computer clock and realized it was running by +8½ seconds per day. To make matters worse, the large chrono minute hand was +22 seconds faster than the small second hand. Originally the large chrono minute hand was only running by 4 seconds in a week.

If I remember correctly, this does not fall under the COSC standard of -4 to +6 seconds per day that Omega subscribes to.

Will be monitoring it in the next few days and then will go directly to Omega (my AD holds the watch for a week before turning it over to me).

Never had a problem with my 3 Rolex watches (1 hand-wound & 2 automatics [1992 DJ +½ & 2006 Sub -½ seconds per day]).

2. SeanO Jun 29, 2015

if it's not a chronometer rated movement then the 8 seconds per day (as an average) is well withing tolerances for a non-COSC rated movement. the issue of the large hand I can't help with.

Rolex movements are all COSC rated movements so what Rolex does is irrelevant to what your Omega does.

3. Slipstreamer Jun 29, 2015

My watch is chrometer rated as stated at the back of my watch and the included Pictograms card for ref 32192445201001 model. Just frustrating after paying good money for it.

4. italy1861 Jun 29, 2015

I know you're not happy your new watch is acting up but, just take it back in and discuss the issues with them.. They'll get it taken care of.. If you think Rolex is immune from this sort of thing, think again. It happens to all watch companies regardless of price. You just were unlucky...

5. Slipstreamer Jun 29, 2015

Sadly it happens at Omega more often than not. It just came from Omega last week. I ordered this watch in March and barely wore it for 2 weeks. Who wouldn't be frustrated--TWICE!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 30, 2015

Omega specs for their COSC rated watches are from -1 to +6 seconds per day for the average daily rate as measured on the timing machine.

Because the average can be as much as +6, then it's clear that the timing in any one position can be more than +6. If that is the case with your, and you happen to have the watch in that position a good amount of the time, then your watch may wear faster than the Omega specs, but still be in specs. It's certainly possible with the watch only being +8.5 seconds in 24 hours. And I would also try checking it again with a good known time source - computer clocks are notoriously bad, and I'm not sure an iPhone is much better...

Also note that the average daily rate noted above is only calculated over 5 positions where your watch can be in a near infinite number of positions during the day.

If you are unhappy then certainly take it back to be adjusted, but I would confirm that it's actually running that fast before doing so.

Cheers, Al

Jones in LA likes this.
  7. Slipstreamer Jun 30, 2015

Hi Al,

Before turning my watch to Omega, I have started a daily log but only at 12:00pm. Makes sense on what you are saying about checking it at different positions (I was actually thinking expanding my times yesterday). The iPhone pretty much matches with my work computer, and an older Radio Shack Atomic Radio Clock and is off by about only 1 second each day. As of now it is +16 seconds from Sunday (still about +8.5 seconds each day so far) versus my iPhone. If in 1 week my watch is 1 minute faster (+8.5 sec x 7 days), then it's back to Omega again.

When my watch was at Omega after they put it back together, they held it for exactly 7 days before they shipped it out. The service rep said they wanted to make sure it was within specs. Well it wasn't (based on the +8.5 2-day average, so far), which was annoying. I will be continually be sending it back to them until they get it right--within the -1 to +6 seconds per day average specs. Thanks.

Tony

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2015

Surprising that the iPhone is off by a second, it shouldn't be off at all

Slipstreamer likes this.
  9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 30, 2015

The iPhone clock is only as good as the cell tower feeding it. I use the "Atomic Clock" app if I want to use the iPhone as a time "standard".

Tom

Slipstreamer likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 30, 2015

As I tried to explain above, that spec is for measurements taken under very controlled conditions, and given the variables involved, your watch could very well be within Omega specs when they checked it previously, and might be when you send it back to them again.

Cheers, Al

Jones in LA likes this.
  11. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 30, 2015

Sounds like you're pretty frustrated, so I feel for you.

If I monitored a COSC-certified watch of mine over a long period of time, in multiple wearing and resting positions and it averaged +8.5sec/day, I'd probably be unhappy as well. Between my wife and I, we have three COSC-certified watches that, just for fun, I track pretty closely. My wife thinks I'm cuckoo for doing this but she humors me nevertheless. Our watches are fairly simple, powered by variants of the Omega 8500 movement. My wife's Ladymatic does the best, consistently averaging +0.7s/day. Two watches with straight 8500 movements are averaging +1.7s/day and +2.7s/day. I did notice that when the watch which normally averages +2.7s/day is left stationary in a standard presentation case for a few days (with occasional manual winds) then it drifts forward at about +5.0s/day.

There are a couple of iPhone apps which may make your monitoring chores a little easier, and maybe even a little more fun:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/watch-tracker/id610666926?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twixt-time/id541686012?mt=8

Lately, I've been using Watch Tracker just to (supposedly) grab the current Atomic Clock time, and (supposedly) synchronize my iPhone to Atomic Clock time. I also manually synchronize my watches' time to the Atomic Clock time reported by the Watch Tracker app.

The Watch Tracker app uses one particular method of getting your watch's time, whereas the Twixt Time app uses a different method. For long-term monitoring of a watch's time drift, I prefer to use the Twixt Time app -- I think mainly because I end up with lots of pretty pictures of my watch :)

IMG_0216_twixt.jpg

Note: for all the times I've used Watch Tracker to (supposedly) get the Atomic Clock time, my iPhone's time has never differed by more than a few 100ths of a second.

12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 30, 2015

And even though I said what I said, about being personally unhappy with +8.5s/day, scientifically speaking what @Archer says is entirely correct.

If you could precisely duplicate the COSC test regimen, which includes variations in temperature as well as watch position over a two-week period, and you still averaged +8.5s/day then you'd have a solid basis for concern, but averaging +8.5s/day under other use conditions may not mean the watch is outside the COSC norm.

13. Slipstreamer Jun 30, 2015

While I do not have a lab duplicating the COSC test regimen, I guess I'll give myself at least 2 weeks before turning it over to Omega. After all, my hand goes through different temperatures and watch positions;). I will also try different sleeping positions and check if they vary. For my older Rolex Datejuest (1992), if I leave it face up at night it goes about +1½ seconds, while if I leave it winder crown up, runs about 1 second--or is it the other way around? on my Submariner (2006) it runs -1½ seconds each day (I advance my watch 30 seconds every 1½ months to compensate for this). :)

Jones in LA likes this.
  14. Canuck Jun 30, 2015

The sweep seconds hand doesn't agree to the sub seconds hand? Completely normal. Allow the watch to run with the chronograph stopped and zero matched at the full minute. Observe the sub seconds hand, and when it hits 60 seconds, immediately start the chronograph. The hands will agree until you initiate the chronograph function, after which, the hands will read differently all over again.

15. Slipstreamer Jun 30, 2015

Whaaaat? Not sure I understand. Obviously, I start large chronograph hand when the small second hand hits 60 seconds. But after running 24 hours, it they were off each other.

16. Canuck Jun 30, 2015

You didn't say that the sweep seconds hand and the sub hand drifted after you align them. They should continue to match regardless of how long the watch runs. Seems as though you have plenty of reason to be dissatisfied with the watch!

Slipstreamer likes this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2015

That's a bit odd, that should never happen at all

Slipstreamer likes this.