Forums Latest Members
  1. Artos Dec 4, 2022

Good day
    When my deceased uncle dissolved the household, this Omega Speedmaster treasure came to light.
    Unfortunately, my wristwatch knowledge is very limited, which is why I have fought my way through all the different Speedmasters the last few days and tried to acquire a basic knowledge online.
    But I would be very grateful if you could check my assumptions and support me with your sound knowledge.

I repair old pocket watches as a hobby and was therefore able to open the Omega without problems to get the type information.

Omega Speedmaster
    Production Date: May 1961
    No. 17764412 Type: CK2998-4 (Caliber 321)
    Bracelet: Type 1171/633

The movement looks original to me, also the bridges are symmetrical, as a 2998 must have.
    The Omega logo is correctly "attached" to the dial
    But I have problems with the bezel.

Since I am almost sure that this was replaced with a bezel of recent date??
    It's a 500 but the 90 point is next to the 90 and I thought it should be at the top of the number?
    In addition, "TACHYMETRE" is written without "é".
    SWISS MADE are written with a wide "T" and are hardly visible (dial is a bit too low?)
    The hour/minute hands also look different, maybe badly replaced??

All in all, I think it's a wonderful old Speedmaster that has unfortunately been badly revised with newer parts like bezel and hands. Or am I totally wrong with my little knowledge?
    Please help me to solve this mystery so that I can decide whether this watch is worth revising or in the best case maybe even a sought-after and rare Speedmaster model?

Thank you very much for your help
    If you need more detailed photos, just let us know
    :)

Best regards
    Artos

Omega Speedmaster.jpg IMG_2738.jpg IMG_2733.jpg IMG_2729.jpg IMG_2728.jpg IMG_2726.jpg IMG_2725.jpg IMG_2724.jpg IMG_2723.jpg Krone.jpg
    Edited Dec 4, 2022
  2. YY77 Dec 4, 2022

Willkommen, vielleicht möchten Sie Google Translate verwenden, um Ihre Fragen auf Englisch zu stellen, da dies ein internationales Forum ist.

Edited Dec 4, 2022
  3. Artos Dec 4, 2022

Thanks for the tip. I was assumed that everyone`s text would be automatically translated into their languages :)

YY77 likes this.
  4. Arancio601 Dec 4, 2022

I’m still a beginner with these too so don’t take my observations as truth. An expert will weigh in soon I reckon, but I think the dial is from a 105.003 (63-66ish?) as the 2998’s didn’t have the T’s next to Swiss Made. I don’t think crown is correct, bezel is definitely newer, bracelet and endlinks are from a newer watch. Movement looks to be in the correct serial range.
    Overall a very wearable watch.

Artos, Dash1 and PepeMUC like this.