Forums Latest Members
  1. Penzes Jan 20, 2018

I'm discussing with the potential buyer the value of a Speedmaster Mark II. Watch was serviced in May 2017, with 12 month guaranty. Working perfectly, beside the case being polished, nothing worth to mention.
    Correct bracelet, clasp with some stretch.

What would be a fair value for this?

[​IMG]Omega Speedmaster Mark II by István Pénzes, on Flickr

2. Penzes Jan 20, 2018

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 20, 2018

Yet another workaround the forum rules.

4. Penzes Jan 20, 2018

Nope, I'm not selling it here, or elsewhere. I'm just curios, based on the different discussions with regard to the polished case, wrong dimensions etc. There is a thread in a Dutch forum, where people are arguing about the value of this type of vintage watches, based on the polished or not being polished case.
    I just would like to hear what your opinion is about that.

5. mr_yossarian Jan 20, 2018

I always struggle a bit with Mk 2 pricing, they are all over the place. I think it mostly depends on how much you want one. I would theoretically pay around 2k Euro for this one if I was interested. It's more attractive than many other Mk 2s.

ConElPueblo, bama2141 and Penzes like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 20, 2018

Then what does this mean? "I'm discussing with the potential buyer the value of a Speedmaster Mark II. "

7. mr_yossarian Jan 20, 2018

..a very valid question..

8. Nathan1967 Jan 20, 2018

@efauser can you direct the OP to the rules on this please?

I think that would be instructive for him and anyone else reading this thread. E.g. me too.

Thanks

Nathan

9. Penzes Jan 20, 2018

Sorry, I was not clear in my sentence, someone in a forum asked advice. People where posting pictures and opinions, but IMHO totally beyond reality. So I just wanted to check.

Correct sentence should be I'm discussing with a potential buyer the value of a Speedmaster Mark II. Again, I'm not advertising here, or elsewhere.

If it is OK, I post two links, one to the thread with the original question:

https://www.horlogeforum.nl/t/hulp-omega-speedmaster-mark-ii/138103

second one with a case judgment advice thread:

https://www.horlogeforum.nl/t/speedmaster-mkii-case-guidance/138217

Google translate could help non Dutch readers.

I hope, this clarifies my intentions.

10. bama2141 Jan 20, 2018

These MkII /MkIV cases really benefit from a crisp sunburst finish whether original or refinished well. Yours is a nice example. I’d recommend searching sold listings on the big auction site for valuation.

Penzes, Nathan1967 and dan7800 like this.
  11. Nathan1967 Jan 20, 2018

I love the patina of the Lume plots. That’s a big plus for me with this Watch.
    I’d be interested to see how the polishing has impacted the “fatness” of the case around the lugs and to see a side profile to check how well the work has been done. As the extent and quality of any refinishing would impact the value for me, possibly very significantly.

12. bama2141 Jan 20, 2018

Excellent point — the case can get very thin at the lugs if too much material was removed.

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 20, 2018

How do have over 600 posts and not know the sales rules? Click on private watch sales forum and read the stickies.

thatonewatchdude likes this.
  14. Penzes Jan 20, 2018

I don't have the relevant pictures in stock, sorry. I measured the case, according to Fratello the case size should be 45.00mm X 41.75mm. My watchcase is 44.95 X 41.63. It was redone by Omega, so the sunburst should be quite ok, I assume.

My question was not solely related to the EUR / $ value, but your perception, opinion with regard to the case quality. Knowing the case has ben polished and some material is vanished. :)

I was quite upset by the fact, that based on this general pictures, people where negativelly arguing about the case quality.
    Being to small, to flat, sunburst would be totally wrong.

I agree to what Nathan ha said, will show some pictures tomorrow for judgement purposes.

I did some research on Ebay, Chrono, but the standard deviation is way to high to have a good ball park figure. Some of the watches are very overpriced, although the quality is IMHO far less as my watch. Of course, al observations are quite subjective and perhaps to biased as well.

One another picture of the watch:
    [​IMG]Omega Speedmaster Mark II by István Pénzes, on Flickr

15. Nathan1967 Jan 20, 2018

@efauser yes I have 600 posts and although know the Sales forum rules fairly well, I likely don’t know them inside out. I asked you the question seeking to understand and in good faith. I’ve reread the Sales Forum rules and can’t find the section that refers to this issue.

16. wsfarrell Jan 20, 2018

Fat case, very nicely polished. Fair value somewhere near $2k.

Penzes likes this.
  17. Nathan1967 Jan 20, 2018

+1 based on the new photo I’d echo that. I remember @ewand sold a nice original one here in the summer, with extract and recent service for a similar price if you go too much above $2k you’re starting to get into Mk2 Racing Dial territory.

Penzes likes this.
  18. Penzes Jan 20, 2018

I paid a lot more for it, including the fresh service of course. Never mind, I enjoy it and I'm happy to here your opinion about the case.
    I was also thinking, this is quite nicely done. Nothing for hard core purists, who are tempted by an rocked original, unpolished one. I like the overal appearance of the watch, the original dial etc. I will purchase some day a nice bracelet and end links to be able to enjoy the watch even more!

More opinions with regard to the case are welcome!

P.S. Edited, to avoid issues with "search" or whatsoever.

Edited Jan 20, 2018
    davidswiss likes this.