Forums Latest Members
  1. Jon_Dong Mar 19, 2015

Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to find a 4.5 sppedy in pretty much mint condition

It does have a couple of scratches in the brushed metal that you can't really see.

My question was, can it be rebrushed to its former glory? or is some muppet going to devalue it buy ruining the finish.

Thanks for your help

Pat

Omega1.png
    Edited Mar 19, 2015
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

We cant actually see as its private to your facebook

3. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 19, 2015

Hi Pat,
    Please upload the photos here on OF using the "ADD PHOTOS" function. Facebook photos are really not open to all. I can not see them as they are limited by Facebook.

4. Jon_Dong Mar 19, 2015

Anything now?

Omega1.png
  5. Jon_Dong Mar 19, 2015

boom

You can see a slight one on the bottom right....... There are a few more on top that arent deep. Just wondered if the whole face could be redone so to speak?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

I wouldn't touch it, that looks fine to me

7. Jon_Dong Mar 19, 2015

I know what you mean, just wanted to know what my options are as its going to be an every day watch that might get banged up. i'd be gutted.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

If you rebrush it, you will get another scratch and then that one scratch will drive you nuts. If you don't rebrush it, you'll not remember which scratches it had and which are new and that'll make it easier to wear it without worrying.

Jon_Dong likes this.
  9. Hijak Mar 19, 2015

+1 on that, looks great!:thumbsup:

Jon_Dong likes this.
  10. ezinternet Mar 19, 2015

IMO it's a beautiful vintage watch and lovely as is.

Since I can see the brushed finish in the photo I imagine it looks even better in real life. Congratulations on finding an example that *hasn't* had the original finish polished away.

The actual brushed pattern is sunburst ( I though I found it referred to as"soleil") and radiates out from a center point on the dial. To really restore the finish requires specialized equipment for machine turning in two planes ("lapping") available when Omega services it in Bienne, and at a very few watchmakers (UK, maybe US).

So, yes and yes - it can be rebrushed to "factory" at the Factory, and it will be ruined by most "muppets" :)

As you said, "pretty much mint" - Enjoy!

-ez

[later edit - Here is a link to a thread about refinishing by Rocco in the UK, for others traveling this path:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...cs-on-page-3&p=2257995&viewfull=1#post2257995 ]

Edited Mar 19, 2015
    Jon_Dong likes this.
  11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 19, 2015

I can't tell you how happy I was to wear the same model in a much less desirable condition!
    Two schools of thought: 1) yes, the finish can be restored. Wear it and enjoy it! 2) it will be only be original once. Put it in a display case and don't touch it.
    I opt for number one...

Jon_Dong likes this.
  12. Jon_Dong Mar 19, 2015

Thanks for that ezinternet

13. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 19, 2015

Count me in! Leave as is!:thumbsup:

14. ctpete Mar 19, 2015

Leave it alone.

Northernman likes this.
  15. Sherbie Mar 19, 2015

If you are frightened of scratching the watch, then the Mark 4.5 probably isnt the watch for you - as these are huge, thick, deep watches. As others have said before, I,d wear it just as it is and enjoy it

Cheers, paul

16. Jon_Dong Mar 20, 2015

Thanks everyone.

I had a Tag Carerra Automotic calibre 16 before and it was massive and difficult to mark. This is my first vintage watch and they are a little more fragile. The strap feels like something out of a christmas cracker but still they charge 300+ quid for them.

Having said that, I love the look of them and I know this is going to be my first of many.

Any thoughts on what should be next? What will be a good investment?

17. lenny Mar 20, 2015

Out of curiosity, what makes you dislike the bracelet so much? I have the same watch and move the bracelet between that and a Flightmaster with no problems.

Jon_Dong likes this.
  18. Jon_Dong Mar 20, 2015

I've always had newer watches and the bracelets are always a lot more solid and chunky. Vintage watches had a bit of a toy feel to me. Its just something I need to get used to. They are more comfortable to wear though as they have more movement between the links and a bit more flexibility.

19. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Mar 20, 2015

You've already got great advice here, so just a quick comment that you have a great looking watch. As you pick up more vintage pieces, you'll embrace the honest wear as part of their story.

Jon_Dong likes this.
  20. italy1861 Mar 20, 2015

Looks great as is... Don't touch it..