Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster 'Hesalite Sandwich' (purchase advice)

1. Constantin86 Feb 3, 2016

Dear Community,
    After reading through all the material on the internet I might need the help of someone more professional.
    I'm looking for a Omega Speedmaster Professional, in particular because of it's 'NASA toughness'.
    The Hesalite front is a unique characteristic of the watch...but I still like to see the movement.
    Hence, based on the research I did, there are only 2 models which have a front Hesalite and a sapphire back:
    The older 3592.50: caliper 863
    And the newer 3572.50 (1996-2003) with (mostly!) caliper 1863, and (after 1998) super-luminova dial.
    I'm writing mostly as there seem to has been a transition phase between 3592 and 3572 when they kept using 'older' dials and movements.
    As I read that the super-luminous mostly doesn't fade over time....I would prefer the 3572.50 (also as t,he movement is never, I guess more wee sold which makes it a more affordable daily watch), hence between 1998 - 2003 ( even though still named 3572.50, the Hesalite front has been replaced on the sandwich models after 2003 by Saphire).

Is my research correct or did I miss out any important fact which I should take into consideration, if I adore the 'Hesalite Sandwich"?

Many thanks in advance,
    Constantin

Edited Feb 3, 2016
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2016

Keep in mind that if you are not too concerned about keeping everything exactly original, you can get the regular acrylic model with solid back, and change the case back. Both OEM (might be hard to find now and is expensive) and aftermarket options are available for a display back.

Tritium, Constantin86 and Mad Dog like this.
  3. Constantin86 Feb 3, 2016

How could I forget - thanks, you're right. The only 'downside' (if we could call it that way) would be, that the standard speedy would come with the 1861 movement instead the 'brushed' 1863. However, I like your advice - I'll keep that in mind.
    Thanks a lot.

4. Constantin86 Feb 6, 2016

Apart from that, does anyone know if a 'Hesalite Sandwich' has been build apart from the 3572.50 and 3592.50?
    I couldn't find any information regarding that - which surprises me, as combining Hesalite and Crystal sounds so tempting.
    Has there been any particular reason why Omega switched from an fully crystal sandwich?

Thanks a lot :)

5. Constantin86 Apr 26, 2016

I'm now trying to find a hesalite sandwich for quite some time and I'm surprised how difficult it is (especially as I favor the tritium dial). May anyone give me a good hint how to find one/ or knows someone who would like to sell his?
    Unfortunately most watches offered are outside Europe (high import taxes) or they are in really "not so great condition"....have several parts already changed. I also can't post in the "watch wanted" section with my few posts.

Is there any certain approach to get such a watch (especially in Germany), except googling pages like "chrono24"? Does Omega sell used watches by themself as well?

My apology for sounding so demanding - but I'm stumped.

Many thanks,
    Constantin

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 26, 2016

Question...

The aftermarket ones on ebay, do they increase the height of the watch by an appreciable amount?

7. Constantin86 Apr 26, 2016

Based on the research I did you cannot simply swap the case back.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 26, 2016

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2016

I don't have one on any of my watches so I can't say, but plenty of Speedmaster people here use them. Typically any glass back will add some height compared to a solid back, but I have no idea what is appreciable to you...

Since you remove the inner anti-magnetic cover, which is actually what holds the movement from flopping around inside the case as the case back presses on that cover, something else has to hold the movement in place.

With the genuine case backs, the enlargement ring (also called movement spacer by some) is replaced with one that is taller so that there is contact between it and in the steel portion of the sapphire back, which then holds everything in place. This design also has an O-ring installed on top of the enlargement ring.

With the aftermarket case backs, they use the same enlargement ring, but will supply a steel spacer that sits on top of the Omega ring, and contacts the underside of the new case back to hold it all in place.

Cheers, Al

10. illition Apr 27, 2016

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311594641220?_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I just won this auction on eBay and am having it shipped over from Japan. I had the same requirements as you, looking for a tritium dial and for a 1863 movement. However, I finally decided on the 863 movement because I found it to be more aesthetically pleasing.

I was watching this eBay listing as well if it helps. Its a 3572.50, hesalite-front, sapphire-back, tritium dial w/ 1863 movement.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polished-OM...060070?hash=item4d4344bce6:g:QjAAAOSw4hdXH1AdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Good luck!

FlyingJ likes this.