Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Grey Side of the Moon Meteorite Review

1. loudbryan44 Nov 17, 2020

Hey everyone, this is my first of many reviews. I recently got into high end watches, and became obsessed haha. I go through quite a few, since I like to try a lot of different styles and experience what each watch brings to the wearer. I also love the networking opportunities watches have brought me, met some awesome people trading, buying, and selling watches.

This piece was a trade in from a client who wanted my Hublot Aerofusion Black Magic. I have wanted a speedmaster for a while, and really liked the moon watches just hadn't found one for a price I was interested in. The deal worked out and I have worn this puppy for about a week now, and have a lot of opinions lol.

First off pictures do not do this watch any justice what so ever. I have tried so hard to get pictures that show off how striking this thing is in person, and no amount of editing or light manipulation at my noob photography level has produced a picture that can express how this thing looks in person. The way the REAL meteorite dial reflects light in different directions creating a crazy contrast with the sedna rose gold, and this thing is multi dimensional and it's hard to capture it straight on. My wrist shot picture below is the best I've got at showing how dynamic it is.
    [​IMG]

I was told this came with a tang buckle or deployment clasp, and this tang buckle version was more rare and expensive. Not sure why, because I'm not a fan. I take my watch off a lot during the day, I own a motorcycle shop, so when I go out to the shop from my office I typically take off my watch so it doesn't get banged up. It's kind of a pain to get the buckle on and off from how it goes into the strap, which makes it more secure I guess, but I can see how part of the strap would wear out quickly taking it on and off 5-6 times a day compared to a deployment clasp. If you put it on in the morning and off at night, this won't be a huge issue for you.

[​IMG]

This watch is ULTRA light, it's a titanium case with a ceramic bezel with some rose gold writing basically. I forget it's on my wrist walking around. This is a huge plus for a lot of people, but I like something with a little more weight to it personally. The strap is comfortable enough, it's leather on the bottom that touches your wrist with rubber where the tang goes in the holes, for durability I'm sure. I really like the dual rubber band system UN uses, multiple fulcrum points makes it fit any wrist a lot better. The bottom of the strap is different color has some red in there to match the accents on the movement.
    [​IMG]

I'm not really a movement nerd, yet, but visually I am a big fan of the 9300. I like how they made it look like a tourbillion, and the huge clear case back just shows off how beautiful it is.

[​IMG]

Something that I think is often overlooked is the presentation of the box and all the papers, cards etc. that come with the watch. My only other Omega was an AT GMT that came in the woodgrain box, I thought it was ugly as ****. However, when this box came out I was blown away! First off it's huge in comparison to a lot of other boxes, the black on red is just badass, I feel like it perfectly complimented the watch. I like the cards better than the booklets and stuff for paperwork, Hublot really has the authentic card system figured out though.

Overall I love this watch because it is literally one of a kind, since the Gideon Meteorite dial is unique to each watch. They should have been numbered. The contrast of the grey, gold, black and red is amazing. If this was a deployment clasp or a full bracelet we would be really talking about a keeper for me. I will enjoy this thing for the time that I have it, but will ultimately go to a new home. I would really like a Dark Side of the Moon soon next to try.

Thanks for reading always open to constructive critiques to make these reviews better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5thdvd, apsm100, Maxim and 4 others like this.
  2. Perre Nov 18, 2020

Great review, thanks!
    Small correction though: the case is not titanium, it’s ceramic!
    So be careful when working on those bikes ;)

MtnMarine and akshayluc420 like this.
  3. Dr. Green Nov 19, 2020

Thanks for the review :)

4. MtnMarine Nov 19, 2020

Great review! Thanks.

5. UCZ_15 Nov 20, 2020

Awesome review, thank you. I didn't even know this watch existed. Its so different to the regular Speedy and has its own character which looks really cool and unique. Grey and Sedna is a stunning combination.

6. aleksejeremeev Dec 29, 2020

Dial I think for an amateur. Hours not for every day. But Cute and good review. Good luck wearing the watch.

7. Perre Jan 5, 2021

Not sure what you mean with “dial for an amateur”? Do you mean unique and different :whipped:?

8. Speedy3330 Jan 6, 2021

Wow, beautiful watch. I'm becoming a big fan of the meteorite dials. I love the bi-compax old school chrono dial!

9. aleksejeremeev Jan 7, 2021

watch dial for amateur. Not everyone likes it. And I think that such a watch will not be worn for every day.

10. Alfista88 Jan 9, 2021

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing the photos. I agree the meteorite dial looks INCREDIBLE in-person, especially in settings like the boutique where there are multiple light sources.

I remember trying one on years ago, and recall the Sedna accents were much darker / redder than they look in the photographs. Similar to the dial, it's one of those things that is influenced by lighting conditions. And oh that column wheel action the 9300 makes for such a satisfying pusher click!

Re: aleksejeremeev's comment that the dial is amateur... technically, that is accurate if we apply the literal definition of amateur, as none of us can debate the absence of a "PROFESSIONAL" text line printed on the dial ;)

Starman71, Perre and aleksejeremeev like this.
  11. aleksejeremeev Jan 9, 2021

In Russia, there is such an expression : "For an amateur. " It means that not everyone will like it. But it doesn't mean it's bad.

Perre likes this.
  12. Perre Jan 11, 2021

Lost in translation ;)

apsm100, Caliber561 and Alex_TA like this.
  13. Hetcins1 Jan 7, 2022

Yeah I love this particular model love the dial effect. Stunning, enjoy.

14. Alex_TA Jan 15, 2022

English is not my mother tongue just like yours but let me correct you: the meaning of “amateur” is a new guy, in this context like somebody who bought a watch for a first time and generally does not understand too much. Not a compliment for sure.

Great watch!

15. Walrus Jan 15, 2022

That was my nickname when I was in the gulag back in the day

kilofinal likes this.
  16. justacpa Apr 28, 2022

Professional is a term that has lost its meaning in today's world. I belong to a Professional group, I'm in a profession that prescribes standards, and enforces those standards by expelling you from membership if you don't maintain those standards. What "Professional" means to most today is they get paid to perform certain tasks. Getting paid is of primary importance.

17. Starman71 Jun 8, 2022

upload_2022-6-8_20-25-42.png
    You are right about the way this watch shifts depending on the lighting! Mine on a trip to India.

TheRealMe likes this.