Forums Latest Members
  1. Steven9 Apr 11, 2015

Hi folks,
    Still into my research on speed masters. With a 6.5 inch wrist I feel that the Speedmaster pro at 42mm is too big for my taste. (If anyone has wrist shots to change my mind feel free to post). But I've recently from a previous post about the Speedmaster 'first omega in space' which measures at 39.7mm.

Can I ask how the FOIS measures up to the Speedmaster Reduced sapphire version? I think the model number is 3539.50???

Any pictures would help. Help a brother out to spend his 30th birthday cash on something he will keep for life!

Thanks folks.
    Steven
    Ps I've attached a photo of me wearing an aqua terra 38.5mm. To let you see what you think.

image.jpg
  2. NT931 Apr 11, 2015

Hi Steven,
    I have a 6.3" wrist and a 38.5mm AT8500 so yeah I know how you feel.

I've tried the 42mm speedies, the 38mm Speedy reduced, and the FOIS. Size-wise the FOIS does sit between the 2 as expected. However, I felt it sat closer to the 42mm speedies in size - in other words, it wore like a 40.5 or 41mm (at least to me). In fact, I thought it wore just a tad bigger than my 40mm GMT II actually.

But relative comparisons aside, I think the size of the FOIS or even the 42mm speedies should be fine for your wrist. The FOIS is a nice watch, go for it!

3. alfanator Apr 11, 2015

The FOIS is effectively the same size as a regular Speedmaster pro. The diff in the case measurements is mostly in the crown and pusher protectors.

ffej4 likes this.
  4. Maximus84 Apr 12, 2015

I have similarly small wrists at about 6.5". After trying on a few different watches I settled on the Speedy Pro, for various reasons. I think I can just about pull it off, but I certainly wouldn't go any bigger. A few pics...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 12, 2015

I believe 42mm is just a perfect classy size on just about all wrists.

6. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 12, 2015

Right fellas I'm going to give you all some life advice here, if you do have girly 6.5 inch wrists you aren't pulling off a speedy pro. You need to go down the smaller speedy road. I have 7 1/4 wrists and didn't manage it so I got a 39mm speedy triple date and that fitted just fine. If you want a dinner plate on your wrist then go ahead but you will also need a trendy haircut and a beard. Couple that with a tattoo sleeve, checked shirt and a dicky bow. Top it off with the tightest pair of jeans known to man with your arse hanging out and a pair of brogues.
    The trendy young man about town look is complete! But I have a prediction next years trend is a painful laser tattoo removal program coupled with crippling infertility due to wearing a young girls jeans cutting off the blood supply to your gonads.
    At least you can look back at photos in ten years time and think, God I was a fashion victim clone of the highest order!
    Either get pumping iron or buy a sensible watch that actually fits you guys.

boomguy57, repoman, Steven9 and 2 others like this.
  7. lwong Apr 12, 2015

I wouldn't expect a speedy pro to pose problems for a 6.5 wrist.

Recycling a pic from last week of a ploprof on my similarly-sized girly wrists, which fortunately are attached to a frame that sees regular exercise.

[​IMG]

8. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 12, 2015

Well, apparently gramps^ likes to squint at his 39mm Speedy on his wrist ;)
    And I guess if he ever met me he wouldn't like my trendy haircut, my beard or my 3/4 sleeve. Regardless my 7 1/2in wrists makes the Speedy look small IMO, and personally prefer slightly larger watches. But of course that's just me. Here's a few shots of the classic and the 57'

image.jpg image.jpg
  9. Maximus84 Apr 12, 2015

Somebody is in a bad mood! A bit harsh I think!

I didn't get a Speedy Pro to be 'trendy'. If I was buying a watch for that purpose I wouldn't be buying a classic chronograph with a design from the 50s/60s. And 42mm is hardly a 'dinner plate'! I'm a military man (so no beard for me) and appreciate the tool look, the history, NASA connection and general pedigree.

I am aware it's probably a little big, but I like that watch for all sorts of reasons, and it is something I will be keeping for many, many years to come. It's comfortable and I like it, and a flash judgment by someone on a forum isn't going to change that.

'Pumping iron' is not going to hugely inflate my forearms. Nor do I really care. I'm never going to be able to pull off a 46mm PO - even the 44mm Speedies are too big but that's life.

I'll wear my Pro with pride thank you very much.

KIMBER likes this.
  10. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 12, 2015

If I remember rightly the original speedmasters weren't the current size but it could be I am wrong. At the moment the huuuuge watch and arse hanging out of a ten year olds jeans thing is in and as you rightly state I might not be the age to pull it off. All I'm saying is choose the watch that will stand the test of time and not the current trends. In retrospect i could wear a speedy pro comfortably but the tight jeans thing is so 1984 and I cringe when I see the old photos of myself. I ain't a gramps yet unless anyone on here is a gynaecologist and recently examined my daughter and if you are I'm gutted about that. Choose wisely fellas a watch is for life not just for Christmas the same as tats. I have spent 46 years looking for a good tat but I haven't quite found something I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.
    My motto is don't follow fashion set it.

11. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 12, 2015

Actually on further consideration buy what you want, that's why they make different styles of watches. I would hate to see everyone wear the same type of thing. I might have been a little to self opinionated in my original post so I apologise to all I may have offended.
    (It's the first time I've admitted I'm wrong on here and don't expect it to happen again you hipster beatnicks)

HiddeninAihara and shaun hk like this.
  12. yinzerniner Apr 12, 2015

What, no utterance of "get off my lawn" for sh*ts and giggles?
    But for real, there are many factors, not just wrist circumference, that can effect how a certain watch of a certain size wears. A 6.5" wrist that is more oval shaped might be able to wear a 42mm speedy pro better than a 7.25" wrist that is more circular. Also, how large are your hands? A small wrist with a large hand will naturally look wider than a small wrist with a small hand. And again, there is personal preference on fashion fitting; some people only wear roomier cloths, while others like stuff that is more form-fitting. There's no reason to resort to name calling (even if your use of "beatnik" is hilarious. Why not just add in a "fop" or a "scalleywag" for good measure).

Event horizon and Prange like this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 12, 2015

Buy the Skyfall, it is an awesome watch. Buy the FiOS too. You can never have too many Omega watches.

14. SeanO Apr 12, 2015

you could try one of the iterations of the Railmaster at 38mm.

that's a classic look.

15. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 13, 2015

Has anyone noticed the ploprofs don't have lugs in the normal way so will wear smaller than say a speedy. The Aqua Terras have a small bezel so a 38mm is acceptable when the mid size seamaster looks small in comparison. I personally don't like the lugs to hang over my wrist because the strap is hanging in fresh air for an inch each side before it touches the wrist. Don't forget if it's a watch you're going to wear with a shirt it's nice to have it fit under the cuff.

16. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 13, 2015

Yeah your needs and comfort should come into play. I have a big watch already (45mm Breitling), and wanted something smaller. I wanted something to fit under my shirt cuff and to feel light and comfortable when I don't wear my Breitling tank. I also wanted a black dial, so this also played a role in narrowing selection down. I don't like having a date function and being automatic vs manual didn't really matter.
    For all intensive purposes I needed a daily beater and was going to grab a SMPc in black. Next thing you know I joined the forum, starting learning and picked up a Speedmaster. It wasn't love at first sight and to be honest I'm still getting used to seeing it. It's so different and foreign from all my current and past watches... But maybe something different is actually what I wanted and need in my collection at this time. It's actually posted up for sale, but it's versatility and understated appeal has seemed to got me coming back! I'm thinking of pulling it from the sales thread and giving her a fair chance and some good wearings.
    Make your decision based on likes, wants and needs. But I still believe likes should come first :)

17. mojothewolf Apr 17, 2015

Getting back to the point, here's a FOIS on my wrist , with shark mesh aftermarket strap....

18. mojothewolf Apr 17, 2015

[​IMG]

It's perfect size for my wrist which is just under the 7.3 inch mark...maybe not girly size. But not hulk hogans either..lol

Davidt likes this.
  19. yinzerniner Apr 17, 2015

Man, you wear that thing TIGHT! Or is the pinching or your skin just a side effect of tilting your wrist up for the shot?

20. mojothewolf Apr 17, 2015

Yes. It's not tight, ..... No marks when I take it off, lol