Forums Latest Members
  1. graftdesign Jun 17, 2019

Greetings. I am new to the forum, so Hello to everyone.

I joined this group because I am fascinated with OMEGA and want to educate myself further in order to help me make a decision in buying my first Omega. I have started looking a month ago.

From what I can see, there's really no bad choices.... just better choices. Of course the Speedmaster Pro seems to be the obvious choice to get and has the most demand and appreciation for the future. It seems to be a pretty safe bet. However, at the moment it's a little out of my price range.

I want to get my first (used) Omega and have started the search by looking at used Seamaster DeVille's from the 60's, because they are affordable and there's little downside. I am thinking if I buy one or two for say $500-750, I will always be able to get my money back if I buy the right one(s) should I decide to sell or upgrade.

In my search, I got sidetracked and came upon a used Speedmaster Coaxial Chrono Racing, with blue dial, black sub-dials and metal band. It's about 5 years old. There is one available locally for $2,400 (they wanted $2700 initially) and it's in great condition. From what I can see, that's a pretty good price. It was a little more I wanted to spend for my first Omega, but I just want to make sure that's a good choice.

I would love to start with a Pro off the bat, but I am not quite ready for one just yet since they can get pretty pricey. There's so many variants it's pretty mind boggling. Plus I think I would want to really educate myself a little more before I get one. I want to be able to identify a great deal should one come my way.

I do what to acquire my first Omega however relatively soon. Hopefully there will be several more in the future.

Where would you guys start given a choices I mentioned? I honestly like both for different reasons. I have read the Coaxials are actually technically more advanced than the Pro's but I am concerned they may not hold their value. Is it a safe bet at the price I mentioned?

Greg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 17, 2019

63CF26C5-BD6D-420C-AD8F-B50B07B4C966.png

This one?

3. graftdesign Jun 17, 2019

Yes, that's the one.

4. graftdesign Jun 18, 2019

I'm going to go on a limb and guess that maybe there's not a lot of love for these smaller/newer 40mm, caliber 3330, non-Pro Speedy's... as nice as they seem to be. They have been around since 2012 and there's quite a few for sale, yet not much interest unless they are listed for a cheap price... so not a good sign. Not nearly as much demand for them as the Moonwatch which seems to be the Speedy to get by a large margin.

In the meantime, maybe I should stick with a very nice 60's or early 70's Seamaster automatic for my first Omega and ease into this hobby. I really want an Omega. :)

Edited Jun 18, 2019
    Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 18, 2019

They do tend to wear smaller then the 40mm suggests. I have one rarely wear as it looks to small. While today I was wearing a traditional 36mm no problem.

6. graftdesign Jun 18, 2019

Foo2rama, thanks for your input.

Do you also have a Speedmaster Pro in your collection?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 18, 2019

Yes a pro, a 41mm Sinn 903, 45.5 PLanet Ocean, 42mm SKX, and various smaller pieces. Also a 40mm bambino that feels too big. I have a 7.25-.5 wrist.

graftdesign likes this.
  8. graftdesign Jun 19, 2019

That's a very nice collection....

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 19, 2019

Not bragging. Just an idea of sizes I wear and their look.

10. graftdesign Jun 19, 2019

Didn't take it that way... I was just curious as to your perspective. It's good to bounce off ideas, but ultimately the choice come down to what one likes.

There's so many great vintage watches to choose from. Just came across some gorgeous vintage Longines watches. Just beautiful!