Forums Latest Members
  1. Jaeger Sep 5, 2018

First time posting here. I would like to get some advice with the chronograph function on a Omega Speedmaster

While the chronograph is running, I'm aware that that the reset button should not be pushed first before you actually stop the chronograph. However, if the chronograph is not in operation (where all the hands are reset to its default setting) would pressing the 'reset' button first before even starting the chronograph cause any issue to the movement?

I've pressed the reset button once whilst the chronograph was not running. I won't do it again but just wanted to find out if this may have caused damage to the movement. Any advice is appreciated.

Edited Sep 5, 2018
    murph likes this.
  2. ext1 Sep 5, 2018

Jaeger and murph like this.
  3. murph Sep 5, 2018

ext1 likes this.
  4. Jaeger Sep 5, 2018

I can clearly see it on the article that depressing the reset-to-zero pusher when the chronograph is on the reset state has no effect on the movement. I would still never do it again.

Thanks for sharing the article. Very helpful.

ext1 likes this.
  5. ext1 Sep 5, 2018

Yes, the article is really great. After I had read it thoroughly I ended up self-answering a lot of stupid questions I had, like 1) when you leave the chrono running is it okay? 2) If you leave the chrono hand stopped for a long time is it okay? 3) If you press the reset button while the chrono is engaged is it okay? 4) Can I press the reset button for fun? etc etc..

6. ATracyWatches Sep 5, 2018

It is not a problem at all. We can use the 861 or 321 movement as the example. The reset hammer for the minutes and seconds is under constant tension. It is held in place by a post which has a spring action against it. When the reset pusher is pressed that post is moved to the side and allows the hammer to be released and act against the heart shaped cams of the chronograph wheels.

Once the reset pusher has been pressed that hammer stays in that position until the chronograph has been re-started.

If the chronograph complication has already been reset then pressing the reset pusher will only move the small post back and forth.

The post is circled below. The movement used for the example here is an Omega 321.

The hour recorder is reset via a different hammer on the dial side of the movement, which will act against the heart cam of that wheel when the pusher is pressed, however there is no danger of damage as the wheel is stationary.

6578263F-3083-4CBB-A2BF-4BFA63F5C0C8.jpeg
    Jaeger likes this.
  7. Jaeger Sep 5, 2018

Thanks for the detailed explanation about the chronograph function. I feel much better now. When I pushed the reset button whilst the chronograph was not in operation, I thought I broke something internally. Really insightful explanation. Cheers