Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow Olympic Edition - my take, what’s yours?

1. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 23, 2023

I recently picked this up and thought I would share some pics and see if anyone else on here has one. It is a model you don't see often in the flesh, and in a quick search I can't find much about it on here either so it rather fell between the cracks as some Omega models do. Hopefully I can right that wrong a little.

IMG_9281.jpg

This is Speedmaster model 321.10.42.50.04.001, quite a mouthful I know. I think I'll stick with Broad Arrow Olympic Edition, though there are other quite different watches that also claim that title.

This was one of several Olympic tie ins that Omega released around 10-20 years ago, milking their long history of timekeeping for such sporting events. This model dates to circa 2012 and was I think launched just before the London Olympics. It's hard to be sure since I've looked hard but can't find a press release for it. My own example was sold much later than this suggesting it didn't exactly fly out of the showrooms, that and the fact I've never previously see one in the wild is also suggestive that wasn't a quick seller.

It was based on the then current Broad Arrow Speedmaster which rather than the familiar 1861 Lemania movement seen in the Moonwatch, instead uses a F Piguet derived column wheel auto movement, the 3313. This movement had teething troubles initially when first released in 2002 as calibre 3303 partly due to the constraints of being much thinner than any other mass produced integrated chronograph movement but by the time the second iteration of its later coax development came around it was widely considered by those that know to be a solid performer. This watch has the ultimate 3313C spec, I'm not certain whether this was from new, probably, or perhaps it received an upgrade along the way as the earlier A and B versions of this movement are routinely given the C spec triple layer escapement when serviced in official channels. It is running at +2s per day with little positional variation so I'm very impressed from a timekeeping perspective. This isn't my first 3313, and they have always impressed me on this score.

IMG_9271.JPG IMG_9273.JPG IMG_9275.jpg

One thing that attracted me to it is the pure white dial which appears to be enamel in the style of the classic pocket watches of yesteryear, though I can't find a source to back up that suspicion, it might just be glossy white paint. It does however have a glowing translucent look which is quite beguiling and near impossible to catch in a pic. The numerals and logo have a paint-like 3D depth to them also. Note the chrono second has the Olympic rings as a counterweight, this may be seen by some as a little gimmicky I know, but isn't too obtrusive when viewed by eye, you have to look for it.

IMG_9277.jpg

One interesting point is that the sapphire crystal used here seems to have a different more curved profile than the more boxy one used on the usual Sapphire Speedies inc other Broad Arrows which may explain why there is less milky ring effect than usually seen with Omega sapphire crystals. It is more like the profile of Hesalite crystals or perhaps the sapphire crystal seen on the modern 321 model.

IMG_9272.JPG

Like with the contemporary FOIS, also a 2012 design, the hands are coordinated to match the function, blued for the chrono feature and chromed for the timekeeping. Not all love this quirk on the FOIS it's true as it is leads to asymmetry but it is valid from a functional perspective. It’s a bit less obvious here than with the FOIS though as it’s the hand finish that differs, not the shape. One final observation, the bracelet clasp text is black infilled on mine, I've not noticed that on any other example so makes me wonder why. Are there any other similar models with infilled clasp text like this?

IMG_9270.JPG

If anyone knows more about this model or can find links to the launch info I'd be grateful to hear it.

Edited Mar 28, 2024
    140dave, Alex Cheers, MtV and 2 others like this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 23, 2023

With an ancestor, in spirit at least!

IMG_9292.jpg

3. Evitzee Oct 23, 2023

Interesting watch, you don't see them too often. That was back when Omega was just flinging ideas around and lots of strange stuff popped out of the Omega machine. The dial is probably a cold enamel, not fired enamel.

padders likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 23, 2023

the 3313 is such a nice movement to set and adjust.

padders likes this.
  5. gmmy775 Mar 28, 2024

Do you know at what point in the serial numbers that the "C" version of the cal. 3313 begins? This works sure got its share of bad press, but I have also heard that if one is patient and finds a "C" that it is quite a sweet movement. Was there also a "D", like the 2500? And does the beat rate change from the "A" to "C"?

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 28, 2024

The C spec was the final and still current 3313 version. All retain the 28,800 beat rate, unlike other recent Omega co-ax stuff where 25,200 is more normally seen. I believe the B spec was a measure to improve the random stopping that effected original A spec examples but the jump from B to C was more fundamental with a new 3 layer escapement replacing the earlier 2 layer part. It was a similar change to how the 2500 went from C to D spec. Unlike there though the change can be retro fitted to any 3313, with the 2500 you top out at C spec with an earlier model, though that has never been a problem in my experience of owning many 2500Cs which have all been accurate and reliable. The 3313B never gave me any issues either it should be noted.

Regarding the date of the change from B to C with the 3313. From my own observations I suspect this occurred between 2011-2012. I have two Broad Arrow Speedies, the one above on a 78.53m serial which came to me with C spec already in place, and one on 78.33m which originally had B spec and papers dated 2011 (and presumably made earlier). This is not definitive since the Olympic one may have been officially serviced before it came to me (and gained the C triple layer escapement) but I suspect this is the right timeframe. I note this corresponds pretty well with when the triple layer 2500D was first seen, possibly not a coincidence.

Just a thought, but obv white dial Speedies are flavour of the month at present, note you can pick up one of these for not much more than a third of the price of a new White Dial Pro so it's a real value proposition and they have a spec sheet that in some ways outshines the new model.

I'll chuck in another more recent wrist pic. Now sporting a dark blue Omega croc deployant strap:

IMG_9973.JPG

Edited Mar 28, 2024
    MDubs, gmmy775 and Evitzee like this.
  7. gmmy775 Mar 28, 2024

Hi Padders

I do appreciate all the work and experience that the info you provided must have entailed. I am sure anyone else having even a casual interest in either of these often misunderstood calibers does as well. Obviously if one is on the hunt for a model containing one of these, it is preferable to know the years and serial numbers that correspond to the 3 level escapement evolution. I had already asked and received the serial change numbers pertaining to the production shift from C to D for the 2500, but I did not surmise that it occurred in a similar timeframe as the 3313. That is very helpful. The 3313 is somewhat more interesting to me in that it has the column wheel.

As far as the White Speedy phenomenon...it sure has perked up interest in the brand lately. Your observations about the relative bargain of the Olympic is most astute. I saw one in the upper 2K range on C24. Personally, I almost never buy the least expensive option, but maybe the one for 3K is a real steal. My interest in this reference is more about the Porcelain (?) looking dial and movement, than it is about the colorway. I will have to add some more quarters to my short-change jar real quick though.

Thank you again for taking the time to break down the transitions dates and serials. Nice contribution to the forum!

jimmy

padders likes this.
  8. Evitzee Mar 28, 2024

Looks nicer with the blue strap, gives it a bit more vintage feel and highlights the dial.

padders likes this.