Forums Latest Members
  1. Borowatch87 Nov 27, 2016

I have recently purchased a second hand 2005 Speedmaster professional automatic and I have been having an issue with the second hand stopping in the same place.
    I am maybe missing something quite obvious but it seems odd. I'm conscious the watch may have been sat for a while unused before I acquired it, so for that reason I have manually wound it (30 turns). Wore it for a full today and had no problems, now midway through second day despite being on my wrist for the duration, second hand has stopped in same place again.
    Is it a lack of use issue from previous owner and maybe needs a manual wind for initial period or is there an underlying problem with the mechanism?
    Any help apprteciated

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 27, 2016

Has it ever been serviced do you know? If not, that will be the answer, 11 years is a long time to expect the movement to run without issue.

3. Borowatch87 Nov 27, 2016

I shall have to enquire with the seller, he assured me before purchase the watch was mechanically and aesthetically sound. Ill give it a few more days use then it may have to go back, it doesn't seem a power issue as the hand always stops in the exact spot each occasion.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 27, 2016

How long does the watch go on a full wind?

Is it keeping accurate time?

For the first one to test fully wind it and put it on a table and let it wind down and measure the elapsed time.

But being that old a service will most likely be needed anyway.

5. Borowatch87 Nov 27, 2016

It is keeping very accurate time, I have had it on my wrist all day, last wound it about 36 hours ago, looked down and it had just stopped at the same point it had a few days earlier.

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 27, 2016

Are you referring to the sweep second hand or the second hand on the sub-dial?. If its the sweep hand that is stopping perhaps it is hitting the minute or hour hand.

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 27, 2016

Mech movements don't run for ever without intervention. With my Omegas, I can see a deterioration in performance (using a timing machine) in as little as 6-7 years in many cases. My 8 year old Rolex Explorer II has just had its first service since it had slowly deteriorated until it was losing 15s per day. Nothing was broken but the lubricants had deteriorated and the accuracy suffered. When I buy any watch these days, unless there is concrete written proof that it has received a service from a reputable watchmaker within the past 5 years, I automatically assume that it will need one and factor it into the price regardless of the owners claims that it is running fine. Usually it wont be when you take a proper look if servicing has been neglected.

Edited Nov 27, 2016
  8. Borowatch87 Nov 27, 2016

its the sweeping second hand. When it stops if I double press the pusher it then re starts, maybe runs for a few minutes then stops at same position. A few wind will give it rough a day and a half