Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Gold – Breaking News

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 1, 2019

Yes, but like all modern limited watches, most likely by a lot of flipper-speculators...so wouldn't be surprised to see a lot on the secondary market within the first year or 2...

Edit : would be happy to be wrong.

Edited May 1, 2019
    Screwbacks and Eve like this.
  2. Screwbacks May 1, 2019

DON. what else?

3. RI Omega Fan May 1, 2019

Did anyone else notice that when the second hand hits the 60 at the end of the video, the minute hand is between the 8 and 9 markers?

I always set my Speedmaster, and all my watches, to squarely hit the minute mark when the seconds hand is at the TDC position. It may eventually get off a little as the watch inevitably speeds up or slows down, but at least when I set it I know it’s right or it would drive me crazy.

MTROIS likes this.
  4. igloe May 1, 2019

Super

Screwbacks likes this.
  5. MTROIS May 1, 2019

You are not the only one who sets your watches like this! :rolleyes:

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  6. sgrossma May 1, 2019

When will delivery on these start? Did they say? Apologies if it has already been discussed.

7. SpeedyD May 1, 2019

Website says July. And price has gone up to over £26K

8. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

Heads up, I've just been informed by some AD's that Omega has finalized their allocations and they've decided to not allocate any to US-based AD's (only Omega Boutiques).

Anyone else hearing this, as well?

If so, good luck to Omega with respect to selling all 1,014 of these at this price point. It's one thing to try to do that for Speedy Tuesday's at the $7k price point, and another to do it at the $35k price point, full colored gold, etc.

9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 9, 2019

I did not hear of this. But 1014 is worldwide and not US only. I do know that these watches were allocated to retailers here in NL (we have no boutiques). I will ask Omega to confirm this for the USA though.

10. sgrossma Jun 9, 2019

Either way, this should not be an issue. There is already an official USA wait list as long as the # being allocated to the US.

MTROIS likes this.
  11. Pepe Lucas Jun 9, 2019

I don’t think Omega is going to have any trouble selling these. I know it is not the same watch but an all gold Daytona starts around 35.5k. Now the Omega has some historic importance and some improvements. Again, I know it is not the same type of watch but just for price reference it is not that out off line in my opinion.

MTROIS likes this.
  12. MTROIS Jun 9, 2019

Fully agree with previous two contributors: Omega has no issue selling the US allotment through OB as they all have a waiting list.
    This is another way to reward long-standing customers and to favor direct to consumer model.
    I have no problem with this in general.

Having said that, if customers would have put a deposit at an AD that would not be honored, that would be a different story. Does anyone here have a deposit on the Gold one at an AD?

13. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

I sure do. :)

MTROIS likes this.
  14. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

Fair enough on them not having trouble selling in the US.

That said, it seems like this was only dropped on AD's late last week. So that's quite unfortunate if true. I've heard it from two AD's, one I know is fairly reputable and very tight with their Omega rep, the other I do not know as well.

If true, that's unfortunate.

It's one thing to make them OB exclusives from the start (like the Speedy Tuesday 1 & 2), and another to retroactively set that rule once it's time to wrap up the allocation distribution.

15. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

Thank you, sir. Very much appreciated.

16. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

Fair enough. :)

Though, Full Gold Rolex Daytonas sell (and trade) at a discount to MSRP.

17. MTROIS Jun 9, 2019

Except the ones supported by John Mayer... :rolleyes:

18. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

Haha, so true. My goodness that one is going nuts. Thanks, Mr. Mayer.

I shouldn't have passed on it when I did. That said, I'd never have worn it. Not my style, sadly. :(

MTROIS likes this.
  19. MTROIS Jun 9, 2019

I would argue that these were DTC as the sale was via social media, and in fact, OB were only involved in deliveries. Bienne was managing everything directly for ST1 & 2.

But agree that one should not change rules halfway through the journey.

20. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

Agreed, and fair enough.

But yes, +1 to your last point. :)

MTROIS likes this.