Omega Speedmaster 57 Re-issue ref. 3594.50 cal. 1861

Right before I went to Maui for my birthday I treated myself to this, in my eyes, wonderful watch. Took me weeks to pull the trigger, as there are enough versions of the modern full-size Speedy to make it hard to choose. There were a number of factors inherent in this particular model that I found appealing to overcome a couple that were less desirable. In no particular order in favor were throwback styling elements such as the applied Omega symbol on the faded black dial with the earlier script; Broad Arrow hands; Hesolite crystal; the tapered bracelet; steel bezel; unfussy caseback; cal. 1861; and I can't leave out that relatively speaking this re-issue is a bargain.

On the negative side, I can only wish that when Omega decided to denote this as commemorative of the 57 Broad Arrow, that they had made the case symmetrical. A bigger aspect to some, but it wasn't a deal killer for me, as I love the modern Speedy anyway. I believe this is from 1999, as it has the second bracelet, ref.1498/840. I have read in some reviews that this is less desirable because of the primitive clasp, but it is neither a positive or negative with me. I like the clean look of it, and since I have a couple of Seamasters with the push-buttons, a can say that there is very little more effort required to open it. Definitely appreciate the taper.

The Lemania based 1861 has been on my must have list for so long that I am not yet looking into the future towards a 321, or even any of the leading edge co-axials. This certainly isn't the most desirable Speedmaster available, but for me it fulfills a goal and I am blissfully content for a minute. Down the road, I think the Globemaster beckons. In the present, I get much satisfaction from just strapping this baby on.

This is the one I want, so seems like a great purchase to me .enjoy!

It's a good watch considering the era in which it was produced, Omega would never introduce such a watch today with all the discordant themes in the design of the watch. Prices are pretty reasonable so if you like the overall design themes, particularly the dial and bezel, it's a good choice. Omega did a much better job on the 1957 Trilogy Speedmaster that they brought out in 2017, but that commands a much higher price today (about 2x).
Edited:

I absolutely concur with your remarks, the Trilogy Speedmaster is pretty close to perfect. Discordant themes on the first re-issue is a good way to characterize the use of a standard Speedy case combined with other fairly accurate tribute details. Omega has upped their game considerably since that era. I was actually just looking for a decent model with the cal. 1861 when I came across the 1998-2004 '57. As you mentioned, the dial and bezel were very pleasing to me, and that allowed me to overlook the asymmetrical case. The Trilogy would have been a budget buster, so I feel that I got the1861 Speedy that I had saved for at a favorable price. No regrets, just aware that this re-issue missed the intended target. I consider it an attractive watch, and am still smitten by how it wears. Thank you for the thoughtful perspective.

This is the one I want, so seems like a great purchase to me .enjoy!
Thanx, I didn't start out looking for this model, but I love the standard Speedy anyway and the dial details, crystal, and simple case back seemed like freebies. I call it a 57 Re-issue because that's how Omega refers to it now, but I just think of it as a gussied up Speedmaster. When you are shopping for one be aware that post 2000 the bracelet changed to a non-tapered with the push-button clasp. Appreciate the thumbs up

The later bracelet is tapered 20 to 18mm AFAIK. There are no Speedies with 20mm clasps.