Omega Speedmaster 57 manual winding question

Hi all - I recently bought a '57 (calibre 9906) from a grey market and had a question on the manual winding feature. When I wind it, the winder seems to turn back a bit after each wind. This is my first omega speedmaster and first of the manual kind so not really sure what the expect.

My question is - is the winder suppose to turn back a bit after each wind?

Thanks all.

Yep. I’ve had manual-winders that tend to do this more and more noticeably as you approach the hard stop.

I have the same watch; totally normal (and you get varying degrees of the “back wind” pressure across pretty much all manual wind watches).

When winding a watch, you engage something called the ratchet wheel. If you're ever used a ratchet tool, you'll be familiar with the backward give.

As the spring barrel is wound tighter, it increases the tension, leading to what Annapolis mentioned.

click.jpeg Ratchet_rotation_allowed.jpeg

I took a quick video showing the interaction between the click and the ratchet wheel. You can see the ratchet wheel (and by extension the crown) wind backwards a bit as the click springs back to engage the ratchet wheel preventing it from unwinding.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UMM7NO3wj7Y

Edit: Too bad the video isn't embedding right here on OF. I think because it's a "short". Don't know why it won't upload as a regular video.

Hi all - I recently bought a '57 (calibre 9906) from a grey market and had a question on the manual winding feature. When I wind it, the winder seems to turn back a bit after each wind. This is my first omega speedmaster and first of the manual kind so not really sure what the expect.

My question is - is the winder suppose to turn back a bit after each wind?

Thanks all.
I have the same reference, yes 100% normal.