Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster 3861 on an EVA - Spacewalk... soon ?

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 16, 2022

Something to look forward to as SpaceX has announced that during their upcoming Polaris Dawn mission an astronaut will make an EVA - spacewalk from the SpaceX Dragon crew capsule.
    We know that the current SpaceX space suit can only be used onboard the spacecraft (IVA - Intra Vehicular Activity suit ~comparable to the Russian Sokol) so SpaceX will present an EVA-suit for that mission.
    Exciting news as thus far we have only seen the Omega X-33 worn under (2020 Doug Hurley) or strapped over the SpaceX suit (2020 Robert Behnken). Space X crews also wore the manual winding Speedmaster so the 3861 might be used on an EVA by late 2022!
    Moreover, as the artist impression shows, the EVA will take place directly from the capsule but the Dragon capsule has no airlock, so the complete capsule needs to be depressurized requiring all crew-members to wear the new SpaceX EVA space suit !
    Note SpaceX kept the sleek design for an EVA suit as we see an umbilical, a Gold anti-Sun visor but no large backpack as used on both Russian Orlan MKS and American EMU spacewalk suits...
    Moreover, another scoop as this would be the first time a " Spaceflight participant " (that's how to call a space tourist) will make an EVA as Soyuz-TMA13 Richard Garriott was denied the opportunity in October 2008 !
    (SpaceX artist impression)
    SpaceX-Polaris.jpg
    ::popcorn::

Omegafanman likes this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 16, 2022

What I find more fascinating: given the size of the space-x ‘spacecraft’, how the whole EVA procedure will work: will they use the whole spacecraft as an airlock and just open the nose, or will they make a tiny 1-man-squeezed airlock/decompression box in the nose cone…

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 16, 2022

Indeed it sounds an amazing feat as the complete Dragon crew capsule needs to be depressurized... it looks like two crew members will make the EVA spacewalk with two people staying "inside" the capsule but exposed to outer space... just like in the Gemini capsule days (that's how Charles Pete Conrad's personal Glycine Airman automatic was exposed to outer space during Richard Gordon's EVAs on Gemini XI in September 1966).
    SpaceX will present their new EVA space suit with upcoming "spacewalker" entrepreneur Jared Isaacman , who flew on SpaceX Inspiration-4 in Low Earth Orbit (2 days 23 hours in September 2021)...

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 16, 2022

Just found out : EVA requires entire cabin depressurization :eek:

Omegafanman and SpeedyPhill like this.
  5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 25, 2022

A "sleeker" design with a new space helmet... rather than the bulky NASA Extravehicular Mobility Unit (EMU) suit ...
    Curious to see if there'll be a wrist watch / chronograph

6. Watch my Whisky Apr 25, 2022

I hope not.

Mostly because it’s totally irrelevant.

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 25, 2022

:rolleyes:
    Well the 250th spacewalk outside the ISS will be a milestone
    Interestingly, although since the ISS-era the Russian solid-torso Orlan spacesuit has been computerized (LCD screen giving feedback on several measuring points for temperature and pressure), and EVA-timing is monitored by mission control, Russian cosmonauts kept wearing the manual winding Omega Speedmaster chronograph as a backup timing device.
    However, lately Russian cosmonauts seem to develop a taste for large PANERAI wristwatches for use on EVA :whistling:

Omegafanman likes this.
  8. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2022

It might give them more options if the toilet had broken again :0)

9. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2022

Just a nice designed suit with no backpack and an umbilical + a speedy..... that does ring a vague bell :0)

Ed White.jpg
    hanky6 and SpeedyPhill like this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 9, 2023