Forums Latest Members
  1. jnrderby Aug 30, 2015

I have inherited a Speedmaster 321 calibre (pre-Moon). I think it works (it's been in a drawer for 15 years), but one of the buttons has broken off. (I have the piece.) I am planning to sell it as it is too much watch for me. I took it to Omega, who suggested it might be better to sell as is rather than send off to Switzerland for repair, as they will replace some original elements. As I am an Omega neophyte, I am looking for guidance. Thank you!

2. watchlovr Aug 30, 2015

Yup, sell as is, good advice.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 30, 2015

If you want to sell, sell as is.

If you want to keep it, send it to STS in UK

dsio and blubarb like this.
  4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 30, 2015

Why not post a few scans. I'll bet a few forum members will send you a few PM's ;)

5. michaelmc Aug 30, 2015

Sell as it is, most would rather supervise their own repairs. m

6. Canuck Aug 30, 2015

If you are able to find someone who will do ONLY the button, and give it a bit of a cosmetic clean up, I think you would be better off fixing it! But if you do a full re-work,on it? How much over and above usual market price does a fully reconditioned chronograph bring? Certainly not enough to warrant a complete re-work, in my view.

blubarb likes this.
  7. Davidt Aug 31, 2015

Definitely sell as is. Many collectors want to be the first to open the watch. You can't easily replicate several decades of muck and collectors pay handsomely for it.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 31, 2015

Really your giving this as advice.........

9. novina Aug 31, 2015

I guess the OP is going to sell it either way,as is or fixed. As he mentions it is "too much watch for him". That said, I believe he is looking more for selling advise than anything. So eell as is. Repairing it will not drive the price up that much and a complete overhaul by Omega may be worse from a collectors standpoint. Just IMHO as a newbie here and what I have learned so far.

10. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 31, 2015

Please provide some pictures. You may even find several potential buyers in here!

11. Canuck Aug 31, 2015

YES! I am, as a matter of fact! I don't see you lending your "expert" opinion in this thread! Tell the OP your opinion, and let him choose!

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

If you're selling it you'll do best not touching it at all, take many really good pics of the watch complete with the pusher sitting next to it and eBay it no reserve, collectors don't want it messed with period, they'll want to restore it their way and untouched will actually carry a premium over being lightly cleaned up and prepared for sale.

And don't take the offers you'll get from dealers or wannabe dealers who will make lowball private offers to sell early, they're just trying to rob you.

Good pictures, full description and any info you have on its history and you'll get the most the market will bear after the auction.

None of the potential buyers will care at all that the pusher isn't attached, 20 other things take priority.

Davidt likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 31, 2015

Sell as is, don't look for a shady watchmaker that only fixes stuff to get it through a sale

Or

Fix it with a decent well trained watchmaker that would not lower themselves to the shady fix it to get past a sale.

But most of all keep it away from any shady watchmaker that does half fixes and does not fully service, clean and regulate

14. Canuck Aug 31, 2015

Yes! For sure! Stay away from shady watchmakers!

15. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 31, 2015

You think ::stirthepot::

Northernman likes this.