Forums Latest Members
  1. ATracyWatches Jul 22, 2019

Hi Guys,

I currently have a 2998-1 on the bench for restoration. It was in pretty bad shape and some hacks had been at it over the years, as you will see by the screws and bridges.

I needed to do four new bushings for it and polish all the screws too. I thought I would share the before and after shots.

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

As you can see someone had really butchered the screws.

IMG_3768.jpg

I got to work on polishing them and here are the after results.

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

You can also see that the bushings are worn due to the mark on the barrel. There is too much side-shake which is causing the barrel to rub. A very common problem on vintage watches, but seldom rectified.

IMG_3740.jpg

Here is the opening for the barrel arbor which is worn.

IMG_3744.jpg

The mainplate and bridge are mounted and dead center is then found.

IMG_3748.JPG

I can then drill out the hole so the new bush can be fitted.

IMG_3750.jpg

Once drilled out the new bushing can be fitted and gently reamed to sized to ensure adequate side-shake is obtained.

IMG_3756.jpg

A shot of the bushing from the underside.

IMG_3763.jpg

Now on with the other three...

0uss, michael e, Etp095 and 11 others like this.
  2. S.H. Jul 22, 2019

Nice job.

Do you fit a pre drilled bushing? I sometime do the same, but with a plain bushing I make myself. I then mount the bridge, center the lathe on the other facing hole (if it is not also worn, of course), and drill the bushing in place.

3. ATracyWatches Jul 22, 2019

Thanks! The other bushing needed replacing in this situation. It was a setiz bushing that needed to be modified. They never fit perfectly...

Etp095 likes this.