Forums Latest Members
  1. horloge Aug 15, 2015

Hi guys

I'm relatively new to vintage watch collecting and came across this really nice Speedmaster Ref 145.022 (1969) model the other day, well I say it's really nice, it has some paintwork cracking on the dial. What can cause this excessive cracking? If purchased, what issues could I face in terms of the deterioration of the dial?

This is the particular model that I'm interested in, it's post moon landing and is within my budget - I would've ideally been interested in the pre moon ref. 105.003 but sadly this is out of my price range.

In the past this type of excessive cracking would have seriously put me off a watch, but I read an article not long ago about the importance of keeping a watch in it's true form - don't have the casing polished to make it look brand new, don't replace parts (unless imperative) and don't have the dial repainted. It appeals to me greatly because even though the watch is 46 years old it is still sought after and in fabulous working condition. I love that this watch has been worn - it comes with it's own story and that's why vintage watch collecting fascinates me.

While I love collecting vintage pieces, I don't like throwing my money down the drain and like to buy particular pieces that may not necessarily appreciate in value, but will certainly retain their value. I guess my real reason for this post was to start a discussion to see peoples opinions on well worn condition of watches and what effect this particular ageing would have on you in terms of the money you'd part with for this watch.

Also, did Omega only start adding 'professional' under Speedmaster after the moon landing?

I've attached an image of the watch.

Look forward to hearing your various viewpoints.

Ben

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 09.47.32.png
  2. Pahawi Aug 15, 2015

Are you sure it's paint cracking and not small scratches on the crystal?

Nice 220 bezel, BTW:

Giff2577 likes this.
  3. sulaco Aug 15, 2015

looks like a cracked crystal to me

4. horloge Aug 15, 2015

According to the auction listing it makes no mention to scratches on the crystal and when looked at closer they do appear to be on the dial. I suppose the only way to really tell will be when they do the viewings.

May I ask what you mean by a 220 bezel? I'm very new to vintage watches and still trying to get my head around everything. I'm after finding an original 145.022 1968/69 speedster with everything as per it's initial manufacture - I want no replacement parts and would sacrifice some of the quality if it was all original.

Also, can you guys tell me what year they began introducing the case back 'first watch on the moon' and then 'Apollo' underneath it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in advance

Ben

5. Davidt Aug 15, 2015

Unfortunately if that is on the dial, I think it would put off a large amount of buyers and significantly reduce the value.

Going from your picture, is it from an online dealer?

The Professional tag was added in 1963, independent of the space program. Speedmaster101.com is a great website to get you started and written by a member here.

Have you actually bought and paid for this yet? How much you paid will obviously affect people's opinion on it.

6. horloge Aug 15, 2015

Thanks for the reply Davidt3449.

Yes I do agree, while I'd certainly sacrifice a little percentage of quality to obtain all original parts, I think the dial is too worn for my liking and obviously over time this is only going to deteriorate.

This is being sold at auction by a watch dealer in London and they have an array of Speedmasters for sale but only the one above and a 105.003 that take my interest - sadly the 105.003 is out of my price range at the minute and any other Speedmasters they have on offer are from the late 80's early 90's which don't interest me.

I haven't bought the watch but they have set an estimate of between £2200 and £2700 for the sale price. What do you guys think to that price just out of curiosity?

I came across Speedmaster101 yesterday actually and found it incredibly informative and will continue to delve into it further.

Ben

7. Davidt Aug 15, 2015

That price is ridiculous. Very nice '69s can be had for less than £2k and that isn't a nice one.

Be patient, stick around here and we'll sort you a much better one at a normal price.

8. Pahawi Aug 15, 2015

The "220" number on the bezel is an error made by Omega on a limit amount of 1969 bezels. It should have been "200".......

£2200 - £2700 is way too much IMO..

9. horloge Aug 15, 2015

Thanks guys - really appreciate your honesty regarding price.

Oh yeah - I see the '220' now. Would this be something that would interest collectors being that it's mistake made by Omega?

I'm definitely not going to leap into buying the first one I see. I want to find the perfect piece that meets all my requirements.

10. Davidt Aug 15, 2015

The 220 bezels carry a slight premium, but it's only slight.

Being summer for the top half, there's not a huge amount of watches coming to the market at the minute. Tend to see more in the winter.

Best advice for some new is PATIENCE!

kox likes this.
  11. Slevin kelevra Aug 15, 2015

Where do you get very nice 69s for 2k mate? Please share

12. Davidt Aug 15, 2015

£2k not $2k. Both myself and @dennisthemenace sold them in the last year.

I bought a '68 for considerably less than that as well, although it needed some tlc.

alphasquare likes this.
  13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 15, 2015

Thanks to @Davidt3449 for the mention of Speedmaster101.com

Very informative.

14. Slevin kelevra Aug 15, 2015

Yes mate, I am in the UK also so I know you meant £2k. Just seems very cheap. I am in no way an expert but do frequent a lot of forums etc and would have said you would be doing well to get a mint 69 for anything below £3k.

All good though !

15. Davidt Aug 15, 2015

There's a lot of dealers on eBay and other platforms asking strong money for '69's but unless you get a novice buyer, I don't think they sell at this price.

Watching what has sold in open auction over the last year, I think prices have increased, although not as much as they have for 321 Speedmaster. I still feel that when watch season kicks off, nice examples will be around £2k, and the OPs example is far from nice.

Pahawi likes this.
  16. horloge Aug 15, 2015

I've actually just found out that this watch was listed in an auction in June and didn't sell for that price. I know it's coming up for Auction again in September but I don't know if they've dropped the estimate price yet.

I do love the 220 bezel on it - I think it makes it quite unique, but the cracked paintwork on the dial is really off putting to me and I certainly wouldn't want to have to get the dial repainted because then it loses it's authenticity and if they do a botch job, you're screwed.

When you refer to 'watch season' when is this?

17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 15, 2015

"Being summer for the top half, there's not a huge amount of watches coming to the market at the minute. Tend to see more in the winter."

18. horloge Aug 15, 2015

Didn't see that - thanks Efauser.

19. rudusunshine Aug 16, 2015

Hello, fresh tapa newbe. I've got my 145.022 recent and payed 3.300€ for it.
    Fully and restored with some new parts like the main spring.... newhands.
    With extra bracelet....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]