Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster 18k Gold Triple date (day date) missing hallmark on case

1. albysoo Jan 8, 2018

Guys I need help,
    I just bought an Omega 18k online from a creditable seller on Chrono24, and all communication was fast and efficient, shipped via armored courier. The back of the cap was hallmarked.however, I can't find the hallmark on the case which is getting me a little concerned.

It was bought with box and paper.
    I Love the watch. Just can't find the hallmark made me a little concern. its bought under Chrono24 escrow so if its not right, I have to return it.

IMG_9998.jpeg Omega.jpg
    Edited Jan 9, 2018
    neilfrancis likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2018

What is it about the hallmarks you don’t like? The caseback marks look right for Swiss 18k. Is there a small mark on the side of the lugs? Perhaps it was polished off it it was ever there.

3. albysoo Jan 9, 2018

Padders, nothing wrong with the marks on the caseback. But there are no hallmarks on the case (don't see any on the lugs or under the lugs) unless its inside the watch itself. I am a novice at this.

Does this devalue the watch at all not seeing the hallmarks there?
    I don't presume its fake ,the watch looks beautiful. the letters on the bezels are clean, almost new looking, which suggest there were minimal polishing at least on the top.

Or would anyone plate a stainless steel version and sell it as a sold 18k? (are the caseback good enough proof that the watch is legit?)

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2018

I don’t blame you for asking for opinions, I imagine it was expensive. I haven’t handled enough of these to offer a solid view. One thing I don’t like though is how the caseback obscures part of the lug serial, that might be normal for a gold case one but then it might be not. The compound movements models don’t have movement serials so that is to be expected*

*Edit just realised this is a 775X movement as it is a triple date (not a compound Reduced) so presumably it’ll have a movement serial too. Check it matches the case serial and cards.

It is probably fine, but it might be worth a bit of googling on the reference to see if others have a serial stamped like that.

Edited Jan 9, 2018
  5. albysoo Jan 9, 2018

Thanks Padders. yea there are other Omegas that does it on the 7th o'clock Lug. So its probably all good. its a fine looking watch. Just thought. Man where is the hallmark!?? I see older Omega's with hallmark, so don't think they could have "forgotten" it on this one. But you are right, it most probably was polished off.

6. webvan Jan 9, 2018

Have you removed the strap to check for oddly placed hallmarks? A hallmark is "deep" and pretty much impossible to polish off, look at how it stays visible on very old watches.

padders likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2018

I don’t just mean see if others have a 7 o’clock serial, millions do! I mean see if the gold ones look like that, ie partly obscured. Also maybe search on your serial to see it hasn’t been cloned. I do think it looks pretty straight though.

The suggestion above is sensible, check under the strap too.

8. albysoo Jan 9, 2018

webvan. I have not, I did check under the watch band, with the watch band on. but didn't remove it to look. Will do it tonight.

Hey any one know how I can check the serial number to see if its originally a solid 18k?

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2018

Perhaps if we ask nicely our resident authorised repair genius @Archer might be prepared to help with that, he is based in Canada though so it may be a while before he sees this (and perhaps quite rightly berates us down for the poor advice and dubious opinion you have received so far)

10. albysoo Jan 9, 2018

Master @Archer.... the young padiwan asks for your wisdom and counsel..

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2018

PM me the serial number and I'll see what I can find out...

12. webvan Jan 9, 2018

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2018

OP sent me the serial number - it corresponds to a ref. 36213000.

055BA1750044 | YEL.GOLD CASE CAL.1150

BA = 18k light yellow gold (2N).

Cheers, Al

padders likes this.
  14. albysoo Jan 9, 2018

Thanks archer! Quick question, how does an omega solid gold come out with out a hallmark?

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2018

Sorry, my crystal ball is out for calibration. All I can tell you is that when I look at photos of this complete case on the Omega Extranet (it is still available for purchase), the hallmarks are different than on your watch in terms of location.

[​IMG]

There are none on the outside of the case back, and on the case lugs the two arrows point to where they are shown on the Extranet. However when I look at the photo of just the case back as a separate replacement item, there are hallmarks on the outside of it like yours.

Even without my crystal ball I'd say some variation in this regard is pretty normal...

Cheers, Al

16. albysoo Jan 9, 2018

Thanks archer, you just made my day. It's a beautiful time piece. Would just hate to be ripped off with a stainless steel gold plated dud.

So by law it is okay to have the caseback hallmarked only, and not on the case, back in 1993?
    And from the extranet, it suggest my caseback might have been a replacement rather than the original? Hence the multiple reference numbers?

And hence the mystery is solved?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2018

You are reading too much into it - your watch is fine...

Sashashu and albysoo like this.
  18. albysoo Jan 9, 2018

Thanks Archer for your amazing help.!

19. reziprozi Feb 16, 2018

The hallmark should be between the lugs on the case. You can see it, when you remove the bracelet. I saw it on an vintage omega speedmaster too....and I didn't expect it there :)

20. albysoo Feb 16, 2018

Reciprozi,
    I checked it wasn't there. But like archor said, it checks out on the omega data base, that the case is not marked, but only marked on the case back. It looks great, it is growing on me, but feel I need to be extra careful when wearing it, don't want to dent or ding it. Which makes me think, my next watch should be back to an SS.