Omega Speedmaster 105.012-66, HF and CB sharing thread!

Posts
195
Likes
210
I finally found what I think is the perfect 105.012-66 CB for me. It fell victim to an Omega service in the 90s so has replacement hands, pushers and dust cover. And the case seems a little over polished on the lugs. But the dial is almost perfect and my favourite close TSwissT (still with tritium lume), and the DON bezel is very nice. So to me it is a perfect watch that I can wear regularly.

I am considering swapping off the bezel so as to not damage it given that is quite nice still at the moment. Does anyone have recommendations for the best either replica/fake or maybe getting a new Omega bezel machined to fit?

Edited:
 
Posts
210
Likes
206
Personally, I would recommend finding another period correct bezel that has enough wear on it that you are not worried about it.

You can fit a modern service bezel on it but it will be a DNN, and will likely require a bit of fitment for that case. (082su1589)

Also dont forget about the alternate bezels available for the 082su1589. Decimal, Telemeter, Pulsometer 😀
 
Posts
195
Likes
210
Personally, I would recommend finding another period correct bezel that has enough wear on it that you are not worried about it.

You can fit a modern service bezel on it but it will be a DNN, and will likely require a bit of fitment for that case. (082su1589)

Also dont forget about the alternate bezels available for the 082su1589. Decimal, Telemeter, Pulsometer 😀

Good suggestions. The thing is that the dial looks brand new, and then of course the hands are service parts. So I feel it would look a bit odd having a worn bezel. Which is why I was leaning towards a new bezel rather than another DON.

The current FOIS has a DON, but I am not sure if it is possible for an Omega approved watchmaker to order for customers without that specific watch or if it is possible to machine it to size?
 
Posts
749
Likes
1,313
Maybe just leave as is. If you damage the bezel you can sell it and buy a better replacemen or let the watch age in unison. Saving the bezel and spending money on a replacement means you will likely never get the benefit of wearing the nice bezel, and I doubt it will make much difference financially saving the bezel in the long run.
 
Posts
414
Likes
2,274
Just wear and enjoy as is. It’s not a museum piece.
This! It’s in great condition and putting on a replacement bezel will not bring any pleasure. Better find real tritium hands imho.

Why a replacement dust cover? Does such a item needs replacing?
 
Posts
195
Likes
210
Yes I think you are all right. I will just have to prepare myself for the first chip! Probably after the first one I won’t mind as much.

And I agree about the hands. The dust cover is a weird one. Maybe it had finger print stains on it from people handling it. Can’t see any other reason.

Just for my own curiosity I notice that quite often some of the lines on the subdials extend slightly onto the main dial face. I assume they are pad printed so it is just some slight misalignment?

 
Posts
213
Likes
106
I finally found what I think is the perfect 105.012-66 CB for me. It fell victim to an Omega service in the 90s so has replacement hands, pushers and dust cover. And the case seems a little over polished on the lugs. But the dial is almost perfect and my favourite close TSwissT (still with tritium lume), and the DON bezel is very nice. So to me it is a perfect watch that I can wear regularly.

I am considering swapping off the bezel so as to not damage it given that is quite nice still at the moment. Does anyone have recommendations for the best either replica/fake or maybe getting a new Omega bezel machined to fit?

That’s precisely the same reason I bought mine! Clean dial with original tritium just has a magic to it - nice find!
 
Posts
414
Likes
2,274
I assume they are pad printed so it is just some slight misalignment?
Exactly this! The charm of 60s (and 70s/80s) vintage. Enjoy your amazing watch!
 
Posts
112
Likes
35
Greetings!

This time I was thinking of doing a post/thread where we can share and compare this lovely reference.
The 105.012-66 had two case manufacturers,
Huguenin Freres (HF) and Centrale Boites (CB).
Most of us Speedy Guys know that the CB case has a facet line on top of the lugs,
and different profile compared with the HF,
but you might not know that the backside of the lugs (the footprint) are different?
The CB is on a strap, and the HF is on the bracelet.


Enjoy the pictures, share your 105.012:s with the Forum and have a lovely weekend!

Cheers!


View attachment 1745080 View attachment 1745080
 
Posts
7,322
Likes
23,730
Yes I think you are all right. I will just have to prepare myself for the first chip! Probably after the first one I won’t mind as much
At the end of the day, it’s your watch. Everyone has a different wearing perspective. If your want to wear it with impunity, scratches be damned, that’s great. On the other hand, if your desire is to keep it pristine, that’s fine, too.

I recently wore a mint piece over to a friends house for lunch. The glass edge of his dining room table put a nice scratch in the gold, smooth, polished bezel. Did I feel okay after that? No. But that’s just me…
 
Posts
112
Likes
35
good morning members , just came across this thread, so here I’m sharing pics of my speedy 66 in HF case , mine has not correct chrono hand but doesn’t bother me , always can find one and replace it, lovely watches these are , a compfy warm feeling on the wrist , greetings to all and happy smooth weekend , kazd
 
Posts
195
Likes
210
Exactly this! The charm of 60s (and 70s/80s) vintage. Enjoy your amazing watch!

Thank you. I wanted one for a long time so I will definitely enjoy it!
 
Posts
195
Likes
210
At the end of the day, it’s your watch. Everyone has a different wearing perspective. If your want to wear it with impunity, scratches be damned, that’s great. On the other hand, if your desire is to keep it pristine, that’s fine, too.

I recently wore a mint piece over to a friends house for lunch. The glass edge of his dining room table put a nice scratch in the gold, smooth, polished bezel. Did I feel okay after that? No. But that’s just me…

Just reading it makes me wince! I will speak to my watchmaker and see if he can think of any ideas that won’t cost too much that it doesn’t make sense.
 
Posts
7,322
Likes
23,730
Just reading it makes me wince! I will speak to my watchmaker and see if he can think of any ideas that won’t cost too much that it doesn’t make sense.
Another idea: take this one out for special occasions; get a second, lesser condition example that you won’t fret over. It’s only money, and you only go around once!
 
Posts
195
Likes
210
Another idea: take this one out for special occasions; get a second, lesser condition example that you won’t fret over. It’s only money, and you only go around once!

I wish the finances would allow that! The dial and caseback are both excellent, but hopefully safe enough. The mid case is only fair due to the lugs so I am not worried about that getting wear. So it is only the bezel I need to decide about whether to protect or not. And it does loose quite a lot of character without it.