Forums Latest Members
  1. Anders Apr 8, 2019

Hi, I am thing about buying my first omega watch, and have been looking around, really like the speed master series and even if it is not a "real" moon watch I like the reduced, also because of the automatic movement and lower price fits me better.. :)

Any advice what to look for?
    I found these on eBay, any advise?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Spee...299651&hash=item4d90c3ce4e:g:yDoAAOSwOtFco5p8Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/omega-spee...846808?hash=item287a60a898:g:N7oAAOSwbedcm6gCPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Spee...243363?hash=item1cce8a21a3:g:HTkAAOSw82lcp7V5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Spee...sh=item1cce46445e:g:wTkAAOSwjfdcVI3d&LH_BIN=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. ilayd Apr 8, 2019

If you like the Speedy, eventually the reduced will not be to your liking. At least that's what most people find. Also, how small is your wrist? Personally, I think the regular sized Speedy has a smallish looking dial because of the external bezel... the reduced is even smaller.

Anders likes this.
  3. Au79 Aluminium Apr 8, 2019

Have you tried on the reduced on your wrist? How about the Professional? If not, I highly recommend trying both of them on before deciding. I have relatively thin wrists and have both the reduced and the pro. Side by side, the pro looks huge and cluncky but for some strange reason, on the wrist, the pro looks and feels superior. If you tried both on already, go for whatever you like better. You will be the one staring at it everyday so get the one you want, cut out all the noise people say about your decision, and choose to be happy with it. Good luck Anders.

Anders and BatDad like this.
  4. BatDad Apr 8, 2019

As above - it’s all about your personal choice. There does seem to be a dislike to the reduced from many collectors, but try them on and make your choice.

Be eyes open that if you decide on the reduced initially, you may look to the pro in the future - but it will always be your first speedy! Enjoy it as such.

Anders likes this.
  5. 77deluxe Apr 8, 2019

+1 speedy pro

Anders likes this.
  6. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 8, 2019

Hey Anders, welcome to the Omega forum. You're making the right choice to seek advice from the experts here with all things Omega. My opinion is this...don't get a Speedmaster reduced. If you want a Speedmaster, then get the real deal and get a Speedmaster Professional. :thumbsup:

Anders likes this.
  7. Anders Apr 8, 2019

Hi thanks for all the replies.
    I have small wrists so I would think the reduced would fit well. I am not yet a collector so I might still go with the reduced as a first watch, can always upgrade later on. But I will think it over one more time.. :)

8. EJD Apr 8, 2019

Hey Anders- first post here, I think I can actually help with this one...

I was in a similar position as you about 5 years ago - liked the Speedmaster Pro, but when I tried it on, it just seemed too large for my 6.5" wrist. Combine that with the fact that it would set me back about half the cost of a used Professional, and it seemed like a no-brainer to go with the reduced. I told myself it was 90% of the look for 50% of the price.

What others are telling you was absolutely true for me - I loved it for about 3 years, but as time went on, I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that I had compromised and it saw less and less wrist time - primarily to a simple SKX007 on an oyster bracelet. After wearing the Seiko for a while and getting used to it's size and heft, I realized the Speedmaster Pro was not much different in size, and the reduced just felt kind of flimsy to me.

The good news is that I ended up selling the reduced for about $300 more than I paid for it 5 years earlier. After all, they don't make them any more, and there does seem to be some movement back towards smaller watches. So if you do decide to go the route of the reduced and decide it's not for you - you probably won't lose much (if any) money.

In terms of your examples - there is a sticky in the Seller Profiles section about favorite/trusted Ebay sellers I purchased mine from sabashioyakiz1 and had no problems whatsoever. He sells tons of them and is quite trustworthy. Don't let the Japan location scare you off.

jB1128 and robinhook like this.
  9. Anders Apr 10, 2019

I have been looking at speedy pro versions and they look a bit nicer, my wrist is about 6.5 cm, so should work?
    What do you think about this one?
    Not much information, but looks like everything is included
    I asked the seller about refnr but he didnt have it, a bit strange?? and no returns an no movement photos.
    https://ebay.us/XX9vNT

/Anders

10. mr_yossarian Apr 10, 2019

Welcome. I hope you mean 6,5 inches :)?

robinhook and rob#1 like this.
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 10, 2019

He wears it on his thumb.

12. Anders Apr 10, 2019

Lol, yes 6,5 inches.. :)

13. mr_yossarian Apr 10, 2019

Good to hear!
    A Pro mmight look big then, but in the long run..a Reduced is not a Pro, not a Moonwatch, expensive to service, totally different and..not a Moonwatch :).
    I am not going to talk you into it, but..get used to the size.

14. mr_yossarian Apr 10, 2019

Has it's own elegance, a finger Nautilus..but then again, no :)
    Screen-Shot-2016-08-03-at-12.52.52-PM.png

77deluxe likes this.
  15. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Apr 10, 2019

If you think the Pro is too big, you could always try the First Omega in Space (ref. 311.32.40.30.01.001) which has a 39.7mm case.

Au79 likes this.
  16. Au79 Aluminium Apr 10, 2019

I agree. I tried on the FOIS just past month at a boutique and I thought it was a great size for thin wrists. It was a stunning watch in person. I would get that over the reduced any day if I was buying my first Speedy. Having said that, it has the sapphire crystal instead of hesalite (could be just my personal thing) and is still not the moon watch. Again, I say make a day or weekend of it and go try at least one or two of your options to see what it looks and feels like on your wrist. I know you are anxious to get your hand on a Speedy but you waited this long, why not wait few more weeks to do a thorough research and get the one you really like?

17. Cenzo Apr 13, 2019

I am also thinking of buying my first speedmaster. I have a local jeweler that used to be an AD years ago, but no more. My wife was getting her rings cleaned there today and I asked about a speedmaster. Although they said they didn't carry them, he told me he could get one from and AD and quoted me a pretty substantial discount off MSRP without me even asking. Has anyone else had a local jeweler get them a speedmaster? Is this a legit route to go? I went to a local AD they didn't offer anything but retail price. I did not try to bargain since I am still trying to educate myself more before buying. Thanks for any advice.

18. robinhook Apr 14, 2019

I have a 6 3/8' wrist and I own a few Speedy pros. I don't think they are too big for me, especially on straps. And Boy they are a true Strap Monster, if not the biggest of all watches.

BTW, I'm selling one here at the moment. see if you are interested:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-...sandwich-3573-50-full-set.93225/#post-1208968