Forums Latest Members

Omega SMPc or Air-King 114200 and Why?

1. reverbtime Feb 22, 2020

UPDATE: Bought the black SMPc

Between this Omega SMPc or Air-King 114200 which would would be better to buy (in used condition) and why?

Omega Seamaster 212.30.41.20.03.001 non-wave dial (black dial would be an option as well).

I have a 6.5. in. wrist and tried that specific Seamaster model at the AD that had the last one and it fit perfectly. I tried the newer 42mm Seamaster but it looked too big, so the previous non-wave ceramic fits nicely. I would obviously buy pre-owned. I don't have a chance in person to try the 34mm Air-King 114200 but I am pretty sure it would fit perfect on a 6.5 in. wrist because this model looks a bit larger than 34mm due to the case construction.

Since this is my first luxury purchase and it will be a commemorative for a special event coming up in the next few months, resale value will not matter in this case since it would be a keeper in my collection (the Rolex will probably hold more value FWIW). My current small collection all has entry level Seiko's 5 and Orients (which I am selling to help fund this purchase as well!). My SARB017 is probably be the only one I will keep.

Price wise the OMSc pre-owned is around $2500-3000, while the Air-King 114200 is a little bit more around $3300-3600. Willing to pay a bit more to have a used mint condition of either (with box & p.). I would probably buy it here on the forums or on WatchRecon from a reputable seller (had bad experiences with Ebay!)
    [​IMG]
    Rolex Air-King 114200 silver (blue dial would be an option too).

[​IMG].

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Mar 2, 2020
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 22, 2020

Very different choices. In this particular case I'd go with the Omega (I'm a big Rolex guy btw) Why? The design on the SMP remains fresh and modern looking and very original against other diver watches. You can find these at great value for the watch you get.

The air king on this dial combo is and will remain a classic simple design but a little unremarkable to me as a commemorative watch and a little too small in case size at 34. It will look good....but will also look like you're wearing your fathers watch. Nothing wrong with that, it's a great watch, but as I look at them I lean towards the Omega.

Take a look at the smaller cased Aqua Terra as well as they are more comparable in look with the dressier Air King

Now, if it was an explorer....

3. stuart70 Feb 26, 2020

The Air King wears more like a 36mm watch. I had a 114234 with the silver and orange dial, I could not get on with the dial but loved the watch. I did contemplate having the dial changed in the end I did let it go. It is one of the ones I do regret. I do have the 2220.80 seamaster 300m but would swap it in a heartbeat for a nice Air King.

4. KeithS Feb 26, 2020

Between these two watches, I would go with the SMPc. My wrist is also approximately 6.5 inches in circumference and I thought a 36 mm Explorer was pushing the limits of being too dainty (which is one of the reasons I ended up selling it after a few months). I don't think I would ever consider a 34 mm watch.

5. Jerseyhammer Feb 26, 2020

They are both great value watches. They are both unique in their own ways . At the end of the day it’s about which you prefer! Mine is both !!!!

stuart70 likes this.
  6. reverbtime Feb 26, 2020

Update:

I have an offer to buy this black dial (212.30.41.20.01.003) for $2,650. Comes with full set (wooden box) and papers, pictograms and international warranty card, and has about 3 years left of Omega warranty. Would $2650 be a good deal for this? The condition looks like it has not had much use.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  7. KeithS Feb 26, 2020

A quick search on WatchRecon shows a price range of $2450 to $2695 for SMPc's. $2650 is at the upper end of that range and suggests maybe there is still a little wiggle room to negotiate the price down. Do you have any more pictures of the watch (like of the clasp and caseback for example)?

FWIW, I sold my SMPc for $2400 (including shipping) a year ago. It was in immaculate condition and still had 2 years of warranty through Omega on it.

8. reverbtime Feb 26, 2020

I will try to wiggle it down a bit! May I ask why you sold your SMPc?

9. KeithS Feb 26, 2020

I wanted the OG Bond Seamaster (well, the automatic version that is).

D5E565B4-8475-44DB-9EB0-D4A87E7DCF9A.jpeg

kip595 likes this.
  10. reverbtime Feb 26, 2020

Nice! I hope to get that Bond version as well one day.

11. reverbtime Mar 2, 2020

Update: Just got today the black SMPc! Love it so far. Love the blingy Bond bracelet which is quite comfortable. Hope to get a vintage Air-King later on.

After winding the watch, when trying to screw the crown back in it it takes a lot of force when pressing + screwing in; is this normal? If I over force while pressing and screwing back in is there any risk of damage?

[​IMG]

jrv1224 and mistasix like this.
  12. pix98 Jun 17, 2020

omega
    OF
    course

13. cowboyjack Jun 18, 2020

Yes, my choice would be the Omega... because I wear a SMP as a daily beater. And yes, I find the crown harder to screw in than I had expected it to be.

14. kip595 Jun 18, 2020

The crown does take a bit more pressure in most I've seen, but as long as you don't jam it down and cross thread it - or use pliers, as I once alarmingly saw someone do - you should be fine.

If there is any functionality issue with the crown, however, definitely get it looked at.

Otherwise I'd say you made the 'right' choice, right being so subjective here. :)

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 18, 2020

Beautiful, Enjoy!!

Regarding the crown I would go to a store and test the units in display and talk to the team there. You can then determine if what you're feeling is in line with other units or if yours is specially tight.

16. WatchTimes Jul 15, 2020

in general Im more of a Rolex guy for more recent models BUT in this case while I don't love either choice Id go with the Omega here. I am a much bigger fan of the 214270

17. amcclell Jul 16, 2020

I have a 2254.50 that was my first Omega, purchased new and I will likely never sell it. It is a highly versatile watch and if I was limited to one, it would certainly work for me. With that said, a 1960's to 1980's Air King is on my wtb list and although a completely different watch, it is also very versatile and represents excellent value. I personally think you should get both and avoid the agonizing over which one is better.

Eve likes this.
  18. sah Jul 16, 2020

When I am screwing my crown, I will first give it a slight counter clockwise rotation as I am pressing down and then reverse to a clockwise rotation to tighten. Seems to be a little more successful than just trying to rotate clockwise initially.

19. amcclell Jul 16, 2020

Very sound advice as many screw down crowns will easily cross thread. I do the same thing.

The other thing I have shown a few newbies is to moderately tighten the crown and look at the position of the logo to determine reasonable torque on the crown when secured. They then have an approximate reference to develop a feel when tightening it down. I have a 1500 series TAG Heuer that is 28 years old and a 12 year old SMP that both still have the original crown tubes. Over tightening just wears the threads on the crown and tube prematurely.

Stripey likes this.
  20. Stripey Jul 16, 2020

Me too. Seems to be a good way to avoid cross threading on nuts, bolts, screws etc generally?