Forums Latest Members

Omega SM 3513.50 (2001) losing time after just 6 hours

1. Siki Apr 3, 2021

Hi guys,

Just bought a Omega Speedmaster 3513.50 online from a guy. Received it three days ago.
    Certificate says bought in 2001.

So today I just started to watch how accurate it is.
    What I can see, it has lost about 5 seconds on 6 hours.
    It is almost bedtime in my country, so maybe I could lay the watch down with glass up to make it gain time, and check it again tomorrow?
    And after I bought it I notice some, first I though was scratch on watch hands, but someone told me it may be mold. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with accuracy.

I’ll add some pictures. And the watch is in very good condition with no scratch, so maybe it have been on service not long ago. Not sure, the previous owner bought it on chrono24.

So, Is -5 seconds in 6 hours alot? Is it normal? Should I wait longer to see how accurate it is? Or should I return it?

sorry for my bad english, its not my foreign language.

thanks for accepting my invite on omegaforums, and thanks in advance :)

C4C58D06-9427-470E-8D12-8F0B34725FBD.jpeg 60257853-D638-4E82-95EA-1D61C69AA192.jpeg 85AC4221-9BBB-4E4E-8F46-F5EB4053C00A.jpeg

2. Sammoor Apr 3, 2021

so it's about -20/day, it's not too bad if it's consistent but since it's an old watch, it might need a service.
    Perhaps other more knowledgable members can help you as i'm not an expert but the finish on those hands and something feels off.

Have you had the watch authenticated?

Siki likes this.
  3. Donn Chambers Apr 3, 2021

Sorry, but you just purchased a 20-year old watch and are concerned it is not keeping time. Not surprising at all - the seller probably never serviced it.

unless he advertised it as fully serviced then you really have no reason to send it back. It’s probably exactly what was advertised - a genuine Onega Speedmaster.

unfortunately, you are the one who will need to spend the money to service it.

Siki likes this.
  4. amcclell Apr 3, 2021

As the previous post states, the watch is in need of a service.

Siki likes this.
  5. Siki Apr 3, 2021

Thank you so much for answer.
    The seller did not tell about the mold, neither that it lose that much time. He said 10 sec/week. He said that he could pay little less then half the serviceprice, which is in my country about $580.

So okay. It need service. Does it need service immediately or could I wait a year/two? And does it need service based on it losing time or the watch hands that has mold/corrosion/not sure?

About authentic. It came with certificate from Japan, with stamp and date, and matching serial so it’s real yes.

6. Sammoor Apr 3, 2021

it's 20 years old dude so I wouldn't risk wearing the parts any further which might make your repairs even more costly.

Siki and amcclell like this.
  7. amcclell Apr 3, 2021

As stated above, if you intend to wear the watch, service it. The oils will be dry and the parts will wear. A watch needs to be serviced every 5-7 years.

Siki likes this.
  8. Donn Chambers Apr 4, 2021

I don’t think that’s mold, I think it is corrosion. Regardless of which it is, in indicates moisture inside the watch which is never a good thing. That definitely means a full service to check for rust in the movement AND to replace all seals. Don’t go cheap on this and don’t wait, or it could get worse and more expensive.

I also wouldn’t send it to the seller to have “his guy” service it for cheaper, because you never know what they will do — possibly they wouldn’t replace all the worn parts in the movement nor replace the seals, which would make the “service” worthless. A good watchmaker will do it properly, but it won’t be cheap. They will very likely charge close to what Omega charges.

Siki likes this.
  9. Siki Apr 4, 2021

Went to watchmaker to adjust the band for my wrist, he said that it look serviced because of the condition. There was fresh oil on seals. I’m not sure if he opened it tho. But he said I should’nt service it unless it’s getting bad.

Okay so I bought it for $2300 and the seller said it was all good, and now I have to service it. Is it best to return it and get a full refund? Or get a price discount for $234?

Thank you guys for answer. I really appreciate it. Kind of dilemma. In my country service/overhauling is $560 and it’s expensive

10. Donn Chambers Apr 4, 2021

I would not trust any watchmaker who said it was serviced without at least opening the case and taking a visual inspection under a loupe.

but that’s me. You can do what you want.

11. Dan S Apr 4, 2021

Honestly, I feel sorry for the seller in situations like this. They sell a nice watch at a fair price, and then after the fact the buyer comes back with unrealistic expectations. The watch is 20 years old, the seller didn't claim it was serviced, and it is actually keeping reasonable time for an old unserviced watch (apparently measured only in one position). The buyer is also complaining after the fact about minor corrosion on the hands, which is readily visible in photos. :rolleyes:

I definitely wouldn't recommend returning it. You got what you paid for, which is a nice watch in expected pre-owned condition.