Forums Latest Members
  1. Squan Jul 20, 2020

A few months back I dropped my 2018 SMP 300m off a table (4 ft high, yikes!) I was able to brace the watches fall with my foot, and it landed on a pair of shoes that were on the floor at the time. There were no marks or scratches that I could see after the fall.

Since then, I’ve experienced no time loss or any problems with the movement. I’m afraid that I still could have damaged the movement/waterproof sealing of the watch. If there is no movement damage, should I assume I’m in the clear?

Additionally, if a problem did come up in the future and I had to get my watch serviced for shock damage, how much would that cost? Thanks a lot guys, here’s a picture of the watch in question!

Squan

4049AFCE-B3D3-401E-83ED-290181F10867.jpeg
    sean2k and OmeGez like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2020

What shock damage?

GuiltunderGlass, Alfista88 and Squan like this.
  3. eldiano84 Jul 21, 2020

Omega watches are shock resistant, if you have any doubts you can get a free diagnostic at the boutique and have them check the numbers for you, but honestly it shouldn’t be up for service in three years(5 years since you had it, I have seen though where a guy broke the dial in his watch from dropping it and the boutique was telling him he had to pay out of pocket but heck, take it to the boutique and have them check the numbers for you and give you a free polish on it also if you want

9D4F295E-84B7-4233-8604-EAD4271A6136.png
    Squan likes this.
  4. Alfista88 Jul 21, 2020

Echoing sentiments above. Especially since you intercepted the fall with your foot, I doubt there was any damage. Our modern Omega watches can take a beating.

In mid-2016, shortly after I switched my Globemaster from its bracelet to a tang buckle strap, I once dropped it from around 4ft up straight onto a wooden floor. The sound of impact seemingly filled the room, and my heart sunk in horror... but not only did the watch make it through that without a single scratch either on the case or crystal, this caliber 8900-powered marvel is still the most accurate watch in my collection, 4 years later!

Around 2018, I had an incident where I forgot I left my hesalite Speedmaster atop an unmade bed. At the end of the day, I lifted my heavy comforter with all my strength, in that quick & powerful up/down motion to fluff it and square it over the bed. The Speedy flew in the air, reaching an elevation of up to about eye-level with me (~6 ft), before succumbing to gravity and crash-landing on a hard hard wooden floor. Miraculous, it landed flat on the plastic crystal.

Maybe it's purely by luck that my Speedmaster landing on its crystal is what way saved the 1861 movement from a shock (and certainly saved my case sides & bracelet from damages!). But similar to the Globemaster, my Speedy Pro's has performed admirably without any maintenance since being dropped on a hard floor. Just a few minutes with Polywatch to buff out the hesalite, and it's as if that drop had never happened.

Squan likes this.
  5. eternalover Jul 21, 2020

Late on this but I thought this is a chronometer and so part of the chronometer testing is being able to cope with a drop?

Squan likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2020

I might have killed a 3313 Planet Ocean Chrono with a drop of 2 inches onto marble... It was serviced under warranty.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2020

Yes and no. Fun fact to be called a dive watch you have to pass tests as outlined by the ISO, and one of those tests is a shock test... But technically Omega cannot legally call that a dive watch as they do not actually do the ISO testing to be able to call it a dive watch.

The Metas certification does include a shock test.

Chrono certification is time only, but it is part of the Metas testing...

So, yes and no, but mostly no, but kinda yes

whyboddau and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  8. eternalover Jul 21, 2020

Thanks interesting - So I have a 2004 ish mid size Seamaster 300m dive watch that will be shock tested, but my 2019 de Ville prestige 2500d won’t be?

I thought the whole marine chronometer test originally stipulated a shock test .

Squan likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2020

That is not a marine chronometer nor legally a dive watch. Both of those have definitions ( one legal) that are not applied to the SM300 by Omega. It is a Dive watch and will surpass the ISO standards but Omega does not actually do the testing required and hence cannot legally call it one. It is a chronometer, but is not considered a marine chronometer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_watch#ISO_6425_standard_for_diving_watches
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_chronometer

A 2500d would not be certified to any shock resistance as that is not a METAS certified watch, nor an ISO-certified dive watch. But you can pretty much be happy knowing that it should pass ISO 6425 no problem.

eternalover likes this.
  10. EricCsN Jul 21, 2020

`i had a speedmaster day date 3222.8000 that i have taken off and left on the table then in my forgetfulness swept off the 4ft table for some distance and landed on the hard floor. That was ~14 years ago, never been serviced and it is still working accurately today

OmeGez and Squan like this.
  11. Squan Jul 21, 2020

Love the stories, and happy to know your watches are doing well! I have flung my cell phone off the bed so many times that exact same way. Im surprised the speedy can take that beating!

12. Donn Chambers Jul 21, 2020

As others have stated, I doubt there is any issue, so I wouldn’t worry unless you see a dramatic timing change or it stops working. But since no one answered your question about cost, the price is on the Omega website:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service

it’s currently $550 for a full service for your Seamaster from Omega. No matter what anyone may tell you, any independent watchmaker who has the knowledge and tools to service a Co-axial movement is going to charge about the same (within +/- $100). If their price is too cheap, I’d be dubious.

Stripey and Squan like this.
  13. Bugbait Jul 21, 2020

If it's still working as expected I wouldn't bother servicing it.

Squan likes this.
  14. amcclell Jul 21, 2020

Ditto - I have an SMP also, and the fact that you blocked it with your foot means that it probably didn't suffer much shock. With it still working properly, I would do nothing. The Omega boutique will not likely confirm that all is well and they may suggest early service at Omega, at your expense.

Edited Jul 21, 2020
    Stripey and Squan like this.
  15. JeremyS Jul 21, 2020

I suspect it’s fine, but there’s no way to know for sure without opening the case. Still, I wouldn’t bother outside of maybe having the WR tested if you swim with it. Omega tends to replace, replace, replace when servicing watches. Unless there’s damage to the crystal or something that might compromise the case integrity, Omega is going to charge $550 for a full service, which will cover a surprising number of parts. Why not wait if it’s running well?

Squan likes this.
  16. RonH Jul 21, 2020

Seamasters would not have the following and reputation they possess if they were not able to handle daily use with some occasional rougher than normal activities... I would think it would take much more than just dropping it from 4 feet to cause damage. My Seiko has taken severe recoil hundreds of times from semi and automatic weapons of various calibers and loadings, chopping wood for hours, hammering and clearing debris, operating pneumatic wrench removing tires or frame bolts on old land cruisers, riding in helicopters, armored vehicles, doing PT....you name it. It has the scratches and dings to prove it....and never skipped a beat. Extreme heat for a few months in middle east accelerated decay of my o-ring so showed some condensation...so got it fixed....and constant dirt, sand, mud, salt, sweat, etc has worn the detentes on bezel to where it is kind of loose...otherwise has been bullet proof since 1985. ;) I expect no less from my Seamaster...it is after all a utility based watch.

OmegaP99 and Squan like this.
  17. Canuck Jul 21, 2020

Expect shock resistance, pray for shock proof! Shock proof implies that nothing will harm the watch. The subject watch likely sustained no damage, given it ricocheted twice before hitting the floor.

eternalover likes this.
  18. eternalover Jul 22, 2020

I am sure you are right Canuck - I noticed some 60s watches say shockproof! But no modern

Ok so now this is maybe a new thread I am starting:how do people expect/know my trusty old sm300 2561.80.00 compare with a modern AT with 8900 Calibre in terms of shock resistance

19. Evitzee Jul 22, 2020

NEVER TROUBLE TROUBLE UNTIL TROUBLE TROUBLES YOU. If it is working fine after a few months you have to assume that there is no damage. Relax.

20. eternalover Jul 22, 2020

Whoops 2551 I meant