Forums Latest Members

Omega Service Question - $3k for rebuild of speedy!!

1. Toosweet Jul 24, 2020

Hi all - More of a forum voyeur than forum poster but I have a situation that requires some expert advice.

Short Story: I have a 2011 speedy pro that was a gift from my wife. It was also my first "real" watch. On vacation in January a pusher popped off and wound up having to jump into a pool to get one of my kids. The watch filled with water and I took it 4 days later to a jeweler who disassembled, dried, and eventually sent to Omega in Switzerland.

Due to Covid it's now 5 months later and Omega finally looked at the watch. They will only do a full rebuild at $3k! Case and everything. We've gone back and forth and they say it is non-negotiable.

Has anyone experienced this situation in the past? Do you know what my options are?

As I have no intention of selling this watch and it has sentimental value i would like to keep it as original as possible. I was hoping they would rebuild the movement and i could have my watchmaker rebuild the rest of the watch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this? Pretty gutted and thoroughly pissed at Omega to a point where I may sell my other 2 watches.

thanks!

StudebakerHawk likes this.
  2. janice&fred Jul 24, 2020

I feel for ya. If Omega wants to actually replace the case along with surely the dial and movement then there isn't much left of the original watch except the bracelet and possibly the bezel. I suppose your only alternative is try an independent watch maker that has a parts account with Omega and see if they can save some of your watch's originality and possibly for cheaper than $3000.

marco likes this.
  3. SkunkPrince Jul 24, 2020

If it’s completely rusted including into the case itself, you are getting off cheap. You’re getting a new watch for half price.

glg, connieseamaster, lando and 4 others like this.
  4. killer67 Jul 24, 2020

Did you ask to take the watch back so you can get it serviced at an independent watchmaker for a 2nd opinion? Omega replaces what they see fit in order to give you a like new, fully functioning watch to which they can attach a warranty

5. SkunkPrince Jul 24, 2020

Which, mind you, is not “wrong”, per se. It’s how they handle these things.

6. gdupree Jul 24, 2020

I imagine an independent watch maker will be cheaper, but I don't know the full extent of the issue.

If it were my watch, I would take it back from Omega and get a couple different quotes/estimates from well-recommended local or semi-local watch makers. After that, I would most likely pay to have this one fixed at that cost. You can buy a new movement entirely for around or less than $2k, so above that I would probably consider replacing the movement, but for sentiments sake I might still repair to keep as much originality as I could if the costs were similar.

janice&fred likes this.
  7. janice&fred Jul 24, 2020

You're absolutely right. I think aside from cost the OP was hoping to preserve some of the watch's originality as it's a sentimental kinda thing.

8. killer67 Jul 24, 2020

agree and probably the way to go - just wondered if he could get another set or 2 of experienced eyeballs to see if he could save some money.

9. Canuck Jul 24, 2020

Whether you have it done by Omega or by an independent shop, it will no longer be “original”. If “original” implies “as new”, I’d suggest let Omega do it. You made the right choice on that fateful day. Save the child or save the watch. You saved the child, so suck it up and do right by the watch. If you have it done by an Omega authorized watchmaker, they will likely restore to the same extent a Omega would.

Elitr6, 89-0 and Foo2rama like this.
  10. SBund Jul 24, 2020

As suggested, I think you should get a second opinion. However I think it’s important to differentiate between the price and the sentimental value. Accidents happen and unless you have several bottle opening marks on a somewhat new watch that has value to you, I would let Omega fix the watch - it’s what they to and they do it well. On the other hand, if it is the $3000 then I think you can do cheaper elsewhere, but not without spending additional efforts and being without your Speedy for a longer period.

11. Charlemagne1333 Jul 24, 2020

You’ll get quite a few varied responses regarding this

Cost of the service that Omega (or any other watchmaker) aside, I don’t see how it would affect the sentimental value of your watch - if anything it would add to it. It’s a story that you, your wife, and child are privy to. Your personal story is embedded in that watch. It’s a big sum, but it represents your life’s journey - you, your family, and your watch

Good luck

lando, MikiJ, Lacazema and 1 other person like this.
  12. Toosweet Jul 24, 2020

Wow - thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

I'm still torn though now that i hear all these responses i'm open to having omega service it.

As far as "original" - I get it its never going to be perfectly original now but would at least like to preserve as much as possible. In particular the dial. I might see if they will send back the original dial though I doubt it.

Also - didn't really save the child, my wording was a bit dramatic. He had floaties on and his little brother pushed him in. it was just a reaction. I should have put it in the safe when the pusher came out.

now i have to decide does this watch go to the kid who got pushed or the kid who did the pushing?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2020

You have a PM - this sort of thing is what I love to do...

AdamS, Dash1, Dedalus05 and 34 others like this.
  14. Charlemagne1333 Jul 24, 2020

In that case, I’d give it to the pusher when they’re old enough, and they can have it serviced themself ;)

michael22, lando and SpikiSpikester like this.
  15. killer67 Jul 24, 2020

ask Omega or the watchmaker to keep all parts

parts go to the kid who pushed him in and rebuilt running watch goes to the kid who fell in

16. Pazzo Jul 24, 2020

Give the watch to the kid who was pushed and the bill to the one who did the pushing. Naughty him. ... :D

17. Toosweet Jul 24, 2020

thanks again everyone. Here's the sad photo of the watch if anyone wants to cringe.

20200205_205035.jpg
  18. gdupree Jul 24, 2020

740D90E8-9F8C-4170-B974-63AB025BE473.gif

Dedalus05, DaveK and connieseamaster like this.
  19. Lacazema Jul 24, 2020

[​IMG]

Dor_42, Dedalus05, DaveK and 13 others like this.
  20. janice&fred Jul 24, 2020

ah that'll buff right out.