Forums Latest Members
  1. fernmac Feb 4, 2016

Hi,
    i would like to know if there is any way that one can verify if a omega is legit or just a fake. Any serial database i can check?
    I bought a seamster pro 300 with serial n.º 54979939, how can i be sure it is original.
    If i go to a jewellery store that sells omega, are they able to find out?
    Thank you

IMG_0818.JPG
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 4, 2016

Yes.

3. fernmac Feb 4, 2016

I read that the best luxury clones are even identical in the inside, is it true? Since mine is a quartz watch, is it harder to determine if it is original?
    Thanks

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 4, 2016

The watch looks authentic to me, but I'm not an expert and don't even play one on tv. Pictures of the movement would be helpful, but again, I think it's genuine. How much did you pay if I may ask?

5. ConElPueblo Feb 4, 2016

It looks perfectly fine, not a replica. All fake versions of these are rather easily spotted...
    However, the hands have either been changed or refurbished so they don't match the indices anymore; they ought to be the same creme colour. The watch has been highly polished, to the extent that the crisp edges have all but disapeared - take a look at the scalloped bezel, it shouldn't look that "soft".
    There are a (small) chance that the movement has been swapped during a service (but certainly not if it has been serviced by someone capable), but I don't know how often that happens.

No.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 4, 2016

It looks legit to me and the serial number is for a ref. 25428000. If you do open it the movement inside should be marked Omega, and it will be a Cal. 1538. The hands are not likely any newer than the dial - in my experience watches from this era don't have the hands match the dial patina ever.

I do agree it has been polished a lot...

Cheers, Al

7. fernmac Feb 4, 2016

Thank you very much for your answers. I paid 900 euros, so i guess it is a good deal?
    Nevertheless i am looking to buy a seamster automatic but i am very reluctant because of clones.
    Please enlight me, if i open the watch, is there a serial in the interior, that matches the outside number? Can clones be very similar in the inside, at the point that a noobie like me could be fooled? Does the serial number match with a given model?
    Thanks again.

8. fernmac Feb 4, 2016

Thanks Archer, how do you determine the model with the serial?

9. ConElPueblo Feb 4, 2016

Would you say that the colour shown in the above photo is the correct/original colour for this watch? I have never seen one before with this tone of lume material. The thin stripes of lume looks rather uneven, so unless there are issues with the photo itself, I'd say that they have been rejuvinated at some point. I agree that they aren't newer than the rest of the watch, as the tip of the seconds hand has, apparently, faded completely.

I wouldn't say so. Seamaster Professionals (quartz especially) are common enough, so a pretty hard bargain should be made when negotiating price. This particular example is in a condition I would avoid to begin with, as MUCH better examples can be had relatively easily.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 4, 2016

You need to have access to an Omega database that is not available to the public...so for you just ask your local AD or ask Omega directly.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 4, 2016

Now we agree on the point I made...

12. fernmac Feb 4, 2016

Thank you very much Archer.

13. fernmac Feb 5, 2016

Hi guys, here i am again to ask for your precious help. Since you´ve been so kind to answer my doubts, i am asking that you tell me your opinion about the seamaster, the seller is asking 1000 euros, what do you say, is it even original?
    Thank you very much...

image1.JPG image2.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image7.JPG image8.JPG
  14. ConElPueblo Feb 5, 2016

Looks way better. Notice it's an automatic, not a quartz. This is a pretty "sought-after" (well, it's not as if they are rare, but you know what I mean...) version called the 2254.50 and is distinguished by a different dial (notice the indices look different) and their sword hands - and I believe they were the first black SM Pros.

1000 EUR isn't an awful deal, IMO.

fernmac likes this.
  15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 5, 2016

Looks like a genuine 2254. Not in the best of condition, but if it's running, 1000euros would be a very good price.

CuriousKatie, Huus and fernmac like this.
  16. Huus Feb 5, 2016

Agreed, and these are indestructible. Also look good on rubber or leather. For a 1000.- Euro's you're doing well. May need a maintenance service though.
    Regards.

fernmac likes this.