Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Jul 9, 2013

Hello there and it’s nice to be back. For the past two weeks and more my ‘phone line and of course my broadband have been down, so I have been completely cut off from the outside world. This is the sort of thing that you have to expect if you live in rural England and a long way from the telephone exchange. While I was off-line, the 1950s Seamaster I purchased from Tim Mackrain arrived from the USA, which was an exciting moment – here’s how it looks, just to refresh your memories – '53 Seamaster Web-5.jpg
    It’s a gold-cap, with a two-tone guilloche dial, gold hour batons and numerals. When the dust had settled and I had paid Tim (in USD), the shipping cost (USPS), Parcelforce handling charge, import duty (nil) and VAT (20%) the grand total was £624 in English money. Which you might think high, I don’t know, but the watch looks gorgeous, has been serviced by Tim and has a new case seal, new crystal and new Omega crown. If you factor in what the extras would cost you here in the UK then I think I got a fair deal. The first thing to do with any new purchase, of course, is to get it on my bench and see just what we have – '53 Seamaster Web-1.jpg
    Having removed the screw-in back we can see that there is a nice bit of perlage inside and also lots of watchmaker’s marks, so at least it has been serviced often during its past life –
    '53 Seamaster Web-2.jpg

The case number is C 2677-3 SC and the maker’s mark is a star, which is one that I haven’t come across before. I am sure that one of you will know the maker’s name? The Cal 354 movement looks very clean -
    '53 Seamaster Web-3.jpg

Please excuse the strange colours which are due to me photographing in mixed lighting. Otherwise, all looks as it should do, I think, and the serial number is 13868086 which dates it to 1953 according to the list I have. Exactly 60 years old and in pretty good shape! So, having established that it ticks and tocks, I screwed the cover back on, set the time and made the obligatory wrist-shot for you all –

'53 Seamaster Web-4.jpg

The keen-eyed amongst you will have noted that I didn’t like the strap it came with and have tried two others – I think I might settle for the lizard. I’ve been wearing it for a week now and it loses about four or five seconds a day, which is pretty good but perhaps I should just tweak the regulator a fraction. It seems strange, but every vintage watch I’ve owned (six so far) has run slightly slow once I’ve started using it, never ever fast. It must be something to do with the magnetic field here in my cottage . . .
    John

Mac5, MKelley and Privateday7 like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 9, 2013

Nice seamaster waffle John.... Wear it in health...

3. Dablitzer Jul 9, 2013

Very nice, I think you did well considering what each part would factor on its own here in the UK. :thumbsup:

4. Pete568 Jul 9, 2013

:thumbsup: Beautiful watch.

5. Mathlar Jul 10, 2013

Nice waffle! What's the diameter of the case of that one?

I think you got a good price including the service, particularly if it included that box that's on show. By the time I get mine serviced I'll be looking at about that figure, minus a box.

We're also starting to build up a nice set of very early 50's Seamaster reference designs on here now.. Here's mine (serial number 12.8 mil). Note the same 'curvy coat hanger' Seamaster script and the happy feet applied Omega logo:

WP_20130615_003.jpg

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 10, 2013

:thumbsup:
    Nice one John.

When you account for the cost of the service and new bits against what it would cost for you to travel to civilisation, find a trusted watchmaker etc etc ..........

I think you got a nice deal all things considered.

Cheers

Jim

7. John R Smith Jul 10, 2013

Mathlar

That's a very nice watch. As you say, it would be interesting to compile a whole set of 1950's Seamaster designs - just because there are so many! The case diameter on mine is just over 34mm.

John

8. Mathlar Jul 10, 2013

There are lots of mid '50s examples on here, with the more regular shape applied Omega logo, and many with the very angular coat hanger Seamaster script. But this is only the second or third example with this shape Omega logo, and with this style of font.

I think Omega were still finalising the styling around 1950-51 and that ours are rather rare examples!