Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Tokyo 2020 Predictions?

1. vadimo Jun 9, 2021

What do you think will happen to this watch? Will it be overlooked by customers because its not really a special edition? Will COVID Olympics drive down interest of such watch ?

Opinions welcome

david5807 likes this.
  2. Jon Walker Jun 9, 2021

I looked at it and kind of like it. But yeah its not much of a special edition, and since I really don't care about a summer Olympics which didn't happen, it kind of takes away from any special-ness. The price also seems a little high. I'm no artist but they could have incorporated the Japanese red sun into the dial to add some dimension.

I am a fan of the new Seamaster design, particularly the ceramic bezel and lasered dial and brilliant colours. If I had to I would take the two blue version released in 2018 or 2019 over this one.

Who knows? - maybe in 20 years the Olympics-that-didn't-happen-Omega will be highly sought after...

vadimo likes this.
  3. Evitzee Jun 9, 2021

The Covid angle and the delayed games will have no, or very minimal, effect on prices long term.

vadimo likes this.
  4. vadimo Jun 9, 2021

You could say that its a negative watch because of delayed Olympics, still calling it 2020, COVID but then you could spin it around and say it marks very important period in history of Olympics or even the world

aventador likes this.
  5. Jon Walker Jun 9, 2021

Who are you spinning and saying this to?

While you never know which watch will be a sleeper, and had I known I would have bought the original Bond Seamaster quartz and left it in the closet for 25 years, I don't think this watch is going to be a collector's item.

But if you really like it, you could certainly do worse.

vadimo likes this.
  6. raclaims Jun 9, 2021

I would never buy a watch that would constantly remind me of covid and this miserable time in the world But that’s just me

Soulcreek and Jon Walker like this.
  7. oneover Jun 11, 2021

I don't much care of it's 2020 Olympic heritage. Being a fan of the white wave dial, when I saw it with the blue bezel and those reflective blue hands and hour markers this really was special for me. I will own one soon.

eldiano84, SMC916, Omega-Q and 2 others like this.
  8. Raf006 Jun 11, 2021

I have the rising sun and, IMHO, most important is that its a beautiful watch. What I see is that white dial speedmaster (even if Rising sun is slightly grey) is hot today and burgundy bezel reminds some of the most expensive (and rare) speedies around there. So, I think rising sun's time will come but nobody knows when. It's just my opinion.

southparkclyde, vadimo and richiv like this.
  9. vadimo Jun 11, 2021

well its now on official site: Sorry, but this product is currently not available. Make sure you join the waiting list.

david5807 likes this.
  10. southparkclyde Jun 11, 2021

Agreed. I believe the Tokyo Speedmasters will do better in the long run than the more widely available Tokyo Seamaster - although I do like the blue/white combo.

11. david5807 Jun 11, 2021

Wonder when these will come back onto the site?

12. vadimo Jun 12, 2021

No idea but out of interest I signed for notification

david5807 likes this.
  13. david5807 Jun 12, 2021

Let us know if you get notified :thumbsup:

14. pdxleaf ... Jun 12, 2021

Design first, limited availability and branding last.

Aqua terra blue is attractive. The Seamaster 2020 okay, not for me though.

Many people don't remember who landed on the moon, much less Schumacher. Olympics 2020 will likely not be enduring. Even covid will fade. Remember polio? Me either, but it was a big deal to my mother and her generation.

15. Alllexandru Jun 12, 2021

Who cares, buy the watch you like not the one you think will hold the investment after 20 years
    There can be no tomorrow so enjoy the one you like.

aventador and vadimo like this.
  16. AlphaToOmega Jun 21, 2021

Currently people love a panda, so that one will remain desirable until fashions change. The most stunning and unique watch of the 5 is without question the Rising Sun. There is no doubt it will rise in value as it is too attractive not to. All the Rising Sun watches on the market at present, owned by speculators, will eventually be bought by collectors and enthusiasts until there are none left and it is at this point, when there is virtually zero supply, that demand and prices will rocket. As it is, there are only 44 of them on C24 which represents 2.2% of those manufactured, meaning 97.8% are already spoken for.
    Can't comment on the other 3 because they pale into insignificance against the Panda and Rising Sun.

17. vadimo Jun 21, 2021

Which model is Rising Sun?

18. AlphaToOmega Jun 21, 2021

Reference 522.30.42.30.06.001

19. AlphaToOmega Jun 21, 2021

I should make it clear I was banging on about the Speedmasters not Seamasters.