Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Seamaster Sparkle Ref. 168.023 166.032

1. R3D9 May 8, 2017

*** Post edited to correct present timekeeping and provide additional detail regarding the speck on the dial - please refer to the comments section below***

For sale a nice vintage Omega Seamaster Sparkle Ref. 168.023 166.032

Reference : 168.023 166.032
    Case : 36mm excluding the crown. Stainless steel, has seen some polishing
    Lug Width: 19mm
    Glass : Acrylic with a few light scratches that can easily be buffed out
    Movement : Cal. 750 with serial # 23049695 (it is possible it is 23849695 - see pictures below) - Service recommended
    Dial : Original Tritium "sparkle" dial with some lume dots missing
    Hands : Original tritium hands
    Bezel : Polished but still shows original brushed finish
    Crown : Original

Accessories included in the sale :

Hirsch 19mm Camelgrain Pro Skin Strap 120/80 included. No box or papers.

Price : $500 USD OBO net to me. Since this is my first ever listing on the site, payment from established members of Omega Forums can be made via PayPal (non-friends and family so you can have the added comfort of PayPal's buyer protection) and I will cover the fees. New members must pay via wire transfer or PayPal friends and family.

Canadian Residents - I'm happy to accept payment via PayPal or email transfer in CAD, however please use an fx rate calculator to estimate the price in Canadian Dollars.

The watch is located in Guelph, Ontario Canada. Shipping is to be discussed. A face to face sale in the GTA is welcome. I regularly drive all around SWO for business so a meet-up anywhere from London, Ontario to Toronto is arrangeable, with reasonable notice.

I am a private collector and will set the post OHPF after getting the first PM saying "I will buy this watch now at your price".

And now, for the pictures :

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

Condition Notes:

Pictures are the best part of the description. Since I own the watch I'm selling, feel free to ask for special details or angles you want to see better, prior buying.

Some FAQ:

Why are you selling? - I acquired this beauty less than a year ago from a private collector. I had plans to service the watch and wear it as my daily dress watch at work. I've since acquired a different dress watch that meets my needs and I'm selling this now to fund another watch purchase.
    Are you a Dealer? - No. I am an aspiring collector and, to date, I have been in acquisition mode, but funds have run dry and there is one more (sure, one more... honest) watch coming available that I want (need) to acquire, so this one must go. As this is the first watch in my collection that I've ever sold, I do not have any sales references, on this, or any forum. I have made modest purchases from two different forum members who would be able to at least vouch that I exist and have a PayPal account ;-)
    What would you say counts against this watch? - The photos above represent a better description of the watch than I am capable of providing, nonetheless, the issues I have identified are as follows:

- Although the previous owner claimed to have had the watch serviced a few months before I acquired it, the watch definitely requires a service. The watch winds smoothly and runs well enough, but it loses one to two minutes per day on a full wind. ***(update: My recollection of the timekeeping for this watch was incorrect - it has been sitting in my watchbox for months and my initial recollection was that it was running slow, but I've run a time test at a full wind and it is running at around 3.5 minutes fast per day. I continue to recommend a full service to anyone looking to regularly wear the watch)***

- The case had been polished in the past and has lost the sharp edges it had when it was like new.

- The onyx insert for the hour hand has a small chip in it (refer to the second last photo for the best representation of the issue). It is difficult to notice when viewing the watch from a normal distance. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and had planned to try and source replacement hands for a planned upcoming service. Unfortunately, Omega no longer carries the correct replacement part for purchase - the hands they have listed under this reference number appear to be from the gold plated model.

- The dial is beautiful, but it is missing a few of the lume plots (not a huge deal because the dome crystal obscures them anyways) and there is a very, very tiny speck of white on the large "S" of the Seamaster script. It is visible in some of the images above, but is difficult to notice in daily use.
    ***Update - I've had a closer look at the white speck on the Seamaster logo using the loupe that came with my Speedy Pro... I'm 95% certain this is a spec of debris/dust that has become caught on the lettering. I've spoken to my watchmaker, who has indicated that this would be easy to remove during the servicing of the watch. I'm confident that the dial is clean as the speck appeared during the time I've had it in my possession and it has not been opened up during that time. I've added an additional photo to try and better show the speck in question.***

What do you like about this watch? - The dial on this watch is everything. Anyone who has seen the watch in person knows what I'm talking about. It's difficult to capture its nature in photos, but I've tried my best to provide a reasonable representation.

For 36mm, the watch wears extremely well for a vintage piece. I think it will wear nicely on a variety of wrists. Pictured above on my 7.25" wrist.

What parts do you know to be replaced? -
    Nothing known to me. Maybe somebody will notice something - if so, please feel free to chime in!

Anything else to know?
    -
    The images of the movement and case-back were taken by the previous owner in August of 2016, when the watch was supposedly serviced. The band included in those photos is not included in the sale as I no longer have it in my possession. The wrist shot photos were taken a number of months ago and the small white speck on the "S" in Seamaster was not present at that time.

Will you take it back? - Returns only accepted if not as described.

IMG_0379.jpg
    Edited May 9, 2017
    lando, TNTwatch, E39Talon and 5 others like this.
  2. R3D9 May 9, 2017

My prospective buyer has gone silent, so I'm bumping this one back to the top.

A few updates:

The day/date complication is working exactly as it should. I confirmed today with other forum members that only the date has a quickset function on this model. To set the day, one must move the time forward past midnight (this works on my watch exactly as it should).

Based on the advice of few people with experience selling on the forum, I'm also amending terms of payment:

Established members of the forum are welcome to pay via PayPal for business, but new members must pay via bank wire or PayPal friends and family.

dstama likes this.
  3. R3D9 May 10, 2017

SOLD and headed all the way across the globe to Australia!

Thanks to the OF and buyer!

dstama, BenBagbag and oddboy like this.