Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster - ref. 176006 - Looking to buy period correct band (or modern version)

1. Mooneypm Apr 15, 2019

Hi, my name is Pat, and I’ve been amazed by Omega for almost 15 years at this point. My first Omega was given to me by my mom after my Dad’s passing. His father had given the watch to him as a graduation present, a Seamaster DeVille Automatic. I love the simplicity and beauty of this watch. It's pretty delicate, so I don't wear it daily.

As I came to find out, my Mother’s Dad was also into Omega. He was a man of many watches, and he saw my interest in them. As a gift to me, he passed on his Omega Seamaster ref. 176005. After a few months it stopped running, and I sent it back to Omega to have it restored. It came back beautiful. Not really knowing what to do about the strap/band (it was on a flimsy, old, black nato strap), I bought a black leather band for it. I didn't really like that look either. Next, I bought a metal bracelet from Shinola, and saved 85% compared to buying an Omega bracelet that would fit. It looked great together, and I still have the bracelet.

From another user's post I saw two bands that looked like they might be period correct, and I switched the band to a black rubber one that looked close to what was in the picture. From the picture I can't tell whether or not it's rubber or leather.
    upload_2019-4-15_17-37-15.png

The watch is still in my possession, and I'm trying to find a period correct band/bracelet/etc. to put on the watch. I'm also happy for any other details or period-correct catalogue pictures that can help me identify the watch.

I really want to keep this piece and be able to pass it on, and I'd like it to look like it did when my Grandfather wore it. However, there just aren't great pictures of him wearing it, so I'm left to wonder.

Does anyone pictures to share with what band this watch originally came with?

Can anyone provide me with the part numbers for the bands that would've come with this watch?

If it was the metal mesh bracelet, does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase that type of bracelet? Or, has this watch been seen with a blue band? I did see this bracelet (https://www.watchgecko.com/geckota-german-mesh-staib-diver-medium.php) and this band (https://www.watchgecko.com/kington-racing-by-geckota.php - blue with orange stitching) which to me look pretty close to original, although not Omega.

Thank you in advance for any information or suggestions you can make.

Sincerely,
    Pat

IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1819.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_2211 2.jpg
    Edited Apr 17, 2019
    Andy K likes this.
  2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 17, 2019

Hi Pat, very nice watch you have there.

Here are a few links to old catalogs with images of the 176.005:
    http://www.old-omegas.com/caten74.html
    http://www.old-omegas.com/chrono75de.html

The first one shows it on a bar-type bracelet that is actually not all that common. The most common bracelet these are found on is the 1162. Omega still makes a version of this. You need one with 22mm endlinks (I think 172 but I'm going of memory).

The second shows it on racing-style corfam. The closest thing to these I've found are these: http://www.heuertime.com/index.php?lang=eng&p=sale&sub=sale_detail&pID=134&cat=strap bracelet
    I've bought several and they are great for capturing that look.

Note that while a lot of people put these on mesh bracelets and they look nice, I don't believe Omega actually sold the 176.005 on mesh unless it was a custom request.

ConElPueblo and ChrisN like this.
  3. lillatroll Apr 17, 2019

I have a 176.007 that has an original strap on it, but it is in storage while I am abroad. I bought a strap from GLC that was made from the seat of a Porsche 928 as a back up. I do not think the original strap had any markings on it apart from Omega printed on it. Here is the watch with original strap
    790E19BD-68E7-4E49-97C5-E278DC9E8FBD.jpeg

and here is the strap from GLC ( image taken from internet, originally posted on Fratellow watches)
    B3BB12F4-7E2F-4502-801E-93CA1E4DBAD7.jpeg

4. Mooneypm Apr 17, 2019

Andy,

Thanks for all of the info and pictures! It was really cool to be able to see how the watches were originally presented! Two more follow up questions for you, if you'll entertain me. I found this blue strap as well, and I like the fact that the contrast stitching is orange, to match the tachymeter's orange indicator. The truth is, it's hard to see how the color would go with the blue dial. My leaning is that a blue band pops a bit more, and ties into the dial features nicely. The strap you referred me to from Heuer Time, also comes in blue.

In your opinion, do you see either blue band as better? How do you think each one of them would play with the dial? Ok, maybe three questions, do you have any experience with WatchGecko/Geckota? Thanks again!

Sincerely,
    Pat

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 17, 2019

I don't have any experience with WatchGecko. Personally I'm more into more subdued strap colors (blacks and browns mostly) so I would lean toward the Heuertime strap due to the lack of contrast stitching. So I may not be the best person to ask...

6. Mooneypm Apr 17, 2019

lillatroll,

Thanks for the pictures, I've never seen the 176.007, what an awesome dial! I really appreciate seeing the original strap too! I looked up straps from GLC, and they have the same style in both black and blue. I'm leaning towards a blue strap, knowing there's a bit of a risk with how the color will actually look in person. Below are the three straps that I'm currently contemplating:

1. Lowest Price - WatchGecko - Geckota Kington Racing Genuine Leather Watch Strap
    2. Mid-range price - Heuer Time - Blue Racing Strap
    3. High-end price - GLC - 2 CORFAM REPLICA BLUE VALLELUNGA LEATHER STRAP

Do you know the difference between "regular" leather and "corfam" leather? Also, can you provide your thoughts on how a blue band would play with this dial, and if you have a recommendation from the three above? Thank you!

Sincerely,
    Pat

7. Mooneypm Apr 17, 2019

Andy,

I appreciate your time to share your opinion, thanks!

Sincerely,
    Pat

8. lillatroll Apr 18, 2019

Corfam, as far as I know is a synthetic material that feels different to leather but is quite comfortable to wear.

As far as color goes, I have two blue dial watches and both came with non original blue leather straps. It is always going to be a personal choice but in my opinion black and brown give a watch a more balanced look so I would always go for those.
    I have a Seamaster chronostop that originally came on a blue strap, exactly like the red one in the pictures and it worked nicely in my opinion, but it has a black dial. I was lucky enough to find a red one in perfect condition and I think it works well too.
    74DFDF55-9EA5-4A10-B262-7CAB470E3B75.jpeg

8EAD0004-FA9F-4AEF-B901-C057CFAA2FF7.jpeg

9. joeshoup Jun 3, 2019

I've been following this sub with interest ever since I got an extract back for my Speedmaster that states it was sold in a Corfam strap (despite the period-correct 1171 it came in). So I took Andy K's advice and bought a Corfam replica plus a nice blue racing strap for my 176.001 from Abel Court/Heuertime. They came today and look great! I thought you might like to see them in the wild in case anyone's considering this style.

Now I just have to find some period appropriate buckles! IMG_20190603_202204.jpg IMG_20190603_202127.jpg

Andy K and timestamp like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2019

I have several Gecko straps, for the money they are excellent and their customer serviced is top notch. I’m playing in different decades than you are (40’s-60’s) so find their contrast stitched padded straps (they are mildly padded and still slim at the buckle which is how I like them), are a perfect match to my vintage pieces.
    I have several of their suede straps in various colors (including the green, blue and grey with red stitch) and their Italian leather and Horween straps-all sensational for little money. Again, different style than you are looking at, but as for their value, comfort and fit&finish, I am very pleased. DEC13C4C-0025-44D6-AF98-F40B39D27128.jpeg 600B20AB-CFE0-485E-BCAA-47326A067F96.jpeg 2F79CE2D-73AB-4ABA-8D5E-984A1FF3CF42.jpeg FEDA4D7A-E19F-46DC-BC0F-D4DE7D0D9934.jpeg 0A33D699-E190-4608-B2E4-A523D8F09757.jpeg

Edited Jun 3, 2019
    joeshoup likes this.