Forums Latest Members
  1. ctek Nov 17, 2013

Guys,

First time poster, my first omega...... and trying to find out a bit about it....

I know this is from the 80's, but would this be classified vintage ???

Everything works as it should, the only things are the marking on the glass as seen in pic below....

Anyone have any idea what this might be worth in current condition... ?? ball park figure....

Thanks..

[​IMG]

2. refugio Nov 17, 2013

OK - I'll play. I'd call it semi-vintage, and then I'd look for similar ones on eBay until I found the equivalent, and then I'd look at the "Sold" listings for those.

Yep, that's what I'd do.

3. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2013

We'd be happy to help you if we could, but we'd end up doing exactly what you're about to - checking completed listings on eBay. Not many of us, maybe none, are really that hip to 80's watches nor quartz. If I were to wager, I'd be betting the 'under' if the number was $200 given the condition and the fact it's battery powered.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 18, 2013

If the dented up bezel were to be replaced, about $250 on eBay, when you found a buyer.

5. refugio Nov 18, 2013

Well I'm one, though as a newcomer and not sure if I'm part of "us" yet.

Here's my first quartz Omega - the 200m "pre-Bond" with the 1441 high-accuracy thermo-compensated movement next to a 300M quartz "Electric Blue" that I modded with a blue Bond bezel (and have since sold):
    quartz1.jpg

Here's my second, the 120M "multifunction" which has alarm, chronograph, countdown, and dual time zone all cleverly controlled through a mono-pusher:
    quartz2.jpg

And here's my favorite, which I honestly don't think anyone on this forum would pitch from their watchbox, the Gen 2 X-33:
    quartz3.jpg

Finally, here's the dual tone 120M I picked up for my wife, which she loves. Not a great picture, but it was a fortuitous snap of his and hers blue Seamasters.
    quartz4.jpg

Sure, the mechanical equivalent (where it exists) is clearly more desirable (and more expensive) than the quartz, but I believe that "good" quartz watches can be good watches (with low TCO compared to mechanicals) and can serve as a great gateway into the world of watches.

cristos71 and shaun hk like this.
  6. ctek Nov 18, 2013

I'm glad I'm no the only one that likes quartz.... nice collection there..

7. refugio Nov 18, 2013

Thanks!

Heck, Prince William wears a mid-size quartz Bond Seamaster - reportedly a gift from his mother. Oh, and then there's the Seamaster 120m Quartz that free diver Jacques Mayol wore when he dove 101 meters (331 feet) on just a single breath of air in 1981.

IMHO a quartz movement - particularly thermocomensated - is a wonderful thing in a case with a screw-down crown.

Again, the OP started out with "First time poster, my first omega...... and trying to find out a bit about it..." and I would have thought the denizens would have gently steered him(?) in a positive direction.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 18, 2013

Hey, it is not quartz per se, I have a quartz Bond and an X-33. Nothing wrong with quartz, some are even fairly valuable (Yours are quite nice).
    The OPs watch on the other hand is not a desirable model and it is badly damaged, hence the low evaluation.

9. ctek Nov 18, 2013

badly damaged ? apart from the glass stains... what else is considered badly damaged ??

Dial is perfect, everything works... and strap is fine aswell...

Cheers...

10. refugio Nov 18, 2013

Is it a low valuation? Maybe his (assumption, but I'm going to run with it) other watch is a Timex. And a $200 watch might seem like a very nice piece indeed. Yes, it's on the lower-end of the Omega spectrum, and I think it's fair to point out relevant points - and I'll bet that a good ultrasonic cleaning would do wonders (not sure what I'm seeing at the edges of the crystal).

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 18, 2013

The bezel appears heavily dented in several areas, cleaning will not cure that. I really don't know what the debate is about. $250 is a low valuation for an Omega, which this watch is, I don't know what a hypothetical other watch has to do with it.
    An opinion was asked for, I gave a straight forward one. Anyone can take or leave it.

12. ctek Nov 18, 2013

Where does the bezel look heavily dented ?? as I see it... the indentations around the bezel (12,3,6 & 9) are meant to be there...

Glad to stand corrected... any feedback welcome...

Thanks..

13. refugio Nov 19, 2013

It took me all of 1 minute to find this watchPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network on eBay:
    [​IMG]
    Same indentations, calibre 1435, 35mm diameter, and it shows the inside of the caseback! There's one that's similar without the indentations on the bezel for $199.

So off to the Omega Vintage database with the 1435 calibre, and the closest I can come is the ST 396.0871:
    [​IMG]

Interesting to note that the indented bezel is rotated 45 degrees. Also note that the date wheel is in 2 languages - the one on eBay is apparently in Aragonese, Asturian, Friulian, Kapampangan, Ladaino, Neapolitan, Romanian, Spanish, or Walloon.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2013

Yes you are correct, they do appear to part of the design. This is much more clearly seen in Refugio's image.

15. refugio Nov 19, 2013

So there you go - clean that puppy up and enjoy a 30M WR all stainless steel, accurate, day-date, white dialed Omega for pennies a month. And start saving for a Speedy Pro so you can get some respect on the watch fora <grin>